Sign in to follow this  
jethro

Crafty people

7 hours ago, bellanite said:

Thanks Snowycat it was for a charity auction and it made £90! I was amazed there was a full on bidding war for it😂 

I'm not at all surprised, it's beautiful.

10 hours ago, Snowycat said:

here is my felt Christmas wreath 

B0231803-733B-40AE-A171-6E3F6742B05B.thumb.jpeg.845cf52f45f57f2e57721d1c4aa251dd.jpeg

That's beautiful.

Here's my last fairy of the season, this one is for my daughter. Just got some Christmas bunting and a baby tweed coat to make, then I'm packing my sewing machine away for a few weeks.

DSC02690.JPG

10 hours ago, jethro said:

That's beautiful.

Here's my last fairy of the season, this one is for my daughter. Just got some Christmas bunting and a baby tweed coat to make, then I'm packing my sewing machine away for a few weeks.

DSC02690.JPG

Do you give them names?  She is very pretty. 

8 hours ago, Snowycat said:

Do you give them names?  She is very pretty. 

Thanks. I don't name them but a lot of folk who buy them do, sometimes they email me to tell me their names, recently one of the big mantlepiece fairy reindeers was named 'Lady Colette' - apparently it just suited her.

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:56, bellanite said:

Latest creation! 

Screenshot_20181207-002551.jpg

Morning Gingerbread guru, I need your help.....

One of my grandsons is obsessed with trains and I want to try and make him a gingerbread train for Christmas. I'm thinking if I cut a bean tin in half lengthways to make a semi circular tube, I can use them as moulds to drape the gingerbread over the outside to bake them,  make two half round tubes to sandwich together with icing to make the engine. Do you think this would work or would the gingerbread slump and slide off in the oven? Any hints/tips? Is it a really silly idea?

8 hours ago, jethro said:

Morning Gingerbread guru, I need your help.....

One of my grandsons is obsessed with trains and I want to try and make him a gingerbread train for Christmas. I'm thinking if I cut a bean tin in half lengthways to make a semi circular tube, I can use them as moulds to drape the gingerbread over the outside to bake them,  make two half round tubes to sandwich together with icing to make the engine. Do you think this would work or would the gingerbread slump and slide off in the oven? Any hints/tips? Is it a really silly idea?

Hey Jethro

Sounds like an amazing idea! He'd love it!

I think it would slump if you put it on the mould to bake tbh.

I would probably have the 1/2 cans etc ready to mould, make some thin card templates by wrapping round objects. I'd then roll out on greaseproof paper to aprox size then bake gingerbread flat. You'd need to be quick but as soon as it comes out of oven trim to template to have nices edges then drape over mould as soon as possible. If it starts to harden to quickly you can put in a 90° oven again on the can for a few min and it will soften a bit.

Never done anything that complex but think it could work.

You'll have to let me know how it goes!

1 hour ago, bellanite said:

Hey Jethro

Sounds like an amazing idea! He'd love it!

I think it would slump if you put it on the mould to bake tbh.

I would probably have the 1/2 cans etc ready to mould, make some thin card templates by wrapping round objects. I'd then roll out on greaseproof paper to aprox size then bake gingerbread flat. You'd need to be quick but as soon as it comes out of oven trim to template to have nices edges then drape over mould as soon as possible. If it starts to harden to quickly you can put in a 90° oven again on the can for a few min and it will soften a bit.

Never done anything that complex but think it could work.

You'll have to let me know how it goes!

You're a star, thank you.

Never done anything other than a house before, the train could go horribly wrong, but if I don't try, I'll never know. On the plus side, grandson is only 2 so he'll never know if Nanny messes it up and he gets a house instead 🙂 

added to my cv ... fitted a loft hatch and loft ladder... had to extend the hatch hole, so cutting through joists and re-enforcing them afterwards.

loft ladder was easy tbh.

Not me this time but my daughter. She makes some amazing cakes, taste as good as they look too. She made this today, isn't it pretty.

48396213_2276793675885042_3455595927467720704_n.jpg

Been busy spreading Christmas cheer, this time not fairies. Made to adorn the door in the white garden I created at work last year, got two big fireplaces to dress tomorrow. I love this time of year, wreath making beats digging every time 🙂

48407076_10216068300433210_1755371529220128768_n.jpg

6 hours ago, jethro said:

Been busy spreading Christmas cheer, this time not fairies. Made to adorn the door in the white garden I created at work last year, got two big fireplaces to dress tomorrow. I love this time of year, wreath making beats digging every time 🙂

48407076_10216068300433210_1755371529220128768_n.jpg

Beautiful, I swore I'd never make another wreath for my front door again after last year.  I relented and have done one but I was reminded why I was reluctant to do it - trying to put sharp holly in them has ripped my fingers to ribbons and my hands got so cold 😪  I can't dress my lovely fireplace unfortunately as the log burner is lit everyday so I've dressed my display cabinet instead 😁

Edited by Snowycat

38 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Beautiful, I swore I'd never make another wreath for my front door again after last year.  I relented and have done one but I was reminded why I was reluctant to do it - trying to put sharp holly in them has ripped my fingers to ribbons and my hands got so cold 😪  I can't dress my lovely fireplace unfortunately as the log burner is lit everyday so I've dressed my display cabinet instead 😁

I have a miracle solution for holly prickles - methylated spirits. I know that sounds odd, but it really works. It was a tip I was taught years ago by an old gardener, when you've finished wreath making, tip some in your hands and rub it all over, it stings like hell for a few seconds but that's a small price to pay to stop the usual sore hands for days, wash it off, put on some hand cream and it's like you never touched holly. Also works against the sore rash some folk get from conifers.

Thanks Jethro, will try that next time.  Will also try when I cut the conifers.  Forgot to say your daughters cake looks amazing.   

Failed in my mission to make a train, just ran out of time but have made two houses and a tree instead.

48403640_10216117792550482_1193126092169281536_n.jpg

11 hours ago, jethro said:

Failed in my mission to make a train, just ran out of time but have made two houses and a tree instead.

48403640_10216117792550482_1193126092169281536_n.jpg

They look awesome! Happy Christmas!

Had a request...'Mum, please can you make the kids some tweed coats, we can't find any small ones'. Teeniest one is for a 3mth old, they're fleece lined so should keep them cosy.

26195805_561789924163831_7735204912459518483_n.jpg

26219246_10213421018812824_6753612471703679701_n.jpg

DSC02798.JPG

Lovely fleecy jackets Jethro.   Used to make my own dresses years ago but haven't made any clothes for years.  Reading the model thread, which (dare I say) is somewhat fraught some days, it seems the little ones may well be needing them soon.

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 21:55, Snowycat said:

Lovely fleecy jackets Jethro.   Used to make my own dresses years ago but haven't made any clothes for years.  Reading the model thread, which (dare I say) is somewhat fraught some days, it seems the little ones may well be needing them soon.

Only just seen this..... thank you!

Latest crafty offering is a ceramic hare marionette. Been doing pottery evening classes (tremendous fun). Made a silk, 18th century Baroque style frock coat for him. He happily sits on the mantlepiece but will be strung to a hand controller so he can move. Shoulders, elbows, knees all jointed so he should walk quite well. Never made anything like it before, always figure if you don't try, you'll never know if you can.

DSC02811.JPG

DSC02802.JPG

fitted 2 new radiators... dont like working with metal, prefer wood or plants/soil..

Latest quilt offering from me, my log cabin quilt.  Mum aged 87 (bless her) has just hand quilted it and I'll finish off with the binding.  

image.jpeg

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:57, Snowycat said:

Latest quilt offering from me, my log cabin quilt.  Mum aged 87 (bless her) has just hand quilted it and I'll finish off with the binding.  

image.jpeg

Oh wow, that's stunning, so much work but definitely worth it.

Outside the post hospital at Rorkes Drift.

20190607_232654.jpg

20190607_232531.jpg

20190607_232500.jpg

20190607_232355.jpg

20190607_232340.jpg

20190607_232242.jpg

20190607_232221.jpg

20190607_232208.jpg

20190607_232147.jpg

20190607_232128.jpg

20190607_232105.jpg