Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted

hi  surrey  if  will be interesting  to see  who right  on Tuesday  gfs  saying the back of the front will turn to snow over  us  and  the bbc  say france  who is  right!!

2 minutes ago, tinybill said:

hi  surrey  if  will be interesting  to see  who right  on Tuesday  gfs  saying the back of the front will turn to snow over  us  and  the bbc  say france  who is  right!!

Going to be great! Although if either way rain or snow it's going to be VERY dangerous tomorrow morning under foot and driving.. 

Looks like temps maybe able to get below freezing before we all wake up and commute to work and school.. 

Anything that does fall could to turn to ice, given any rain will wash the grit away its a nightmare situation 

2mtemp_20190121_00_033.thumb.jpg.30c9c47f0d6f71b246477035f048aabd.jpg

Posted

Morning 

-2.2c here and a very heavy frost. Under the full moon last night it did look like snow, hopefully not too long until we actually see some proper snow on the ground! 

Posted

Got down to -5.2c at 2:15 this morning. Would have got a lot lower if it hadn't been for that pesky cloud. Now -3.6c.

Can't say I'm really looking forward to the rain tonight.☹️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Dropped to -5.4 in ramsgate/Manston 

Currently -2.8...

Everything white with hoar frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Have come into work with my Wife again this morning, Residential Care Home, Chislehurst/Elmstead Woods border. Passed some very iced up cars, on the way in.

Following on from my post last night and quoting Ian Currie's thoughts, the 00z runs have continued with the theme of NW/SE diving lows, on the back of a mid-Atlantic ridge. Each of these attempted Northerlies seems to be a bit more potent, than the preceding one. As I stated last night, Mr.Currie may not be far off the mark here with his "few bites of the cherry" quote. Each attempted Northerly seems to be backing the pattern a tad westwards, each time. Unfortunately, the Jet Stream, coming off the ESB is too strong and doesn't allow heights to gain a foothold and take root over Greenland. 

As I stated last night, a very similar Synoptic pattern occurred in early December 1981 when finally, after a few failed attempts, the floodgates were finally opened to the North.

Yes , it may well be "Jam tomorrow" again but IF the Synoptics come to fruition similar to December 1981, it will be a case of Sainsbury's "Taste The Difference" or Tesco's "Finest"!! Believe me, I experienced it.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Londres said:

What about west london?

Good chance... waiting till 12z and 18z later to know for sure whats going on... Few different ideas.. and some say no

The icons idea of it dont really make much sense has it then dosnt than goes for it over the channel...

712349294_icon1.thumb.jpg.ab226d0885072b627d64bd998dedfb15.jpg147509402_icon2.thumb.jpg.0fb9f7b97d68c34102053fe9047c92bd.jpg

Arpege has it but as rain? Not sure that has it right..

A1.thumb.jpg.2f4a44dbf38552ce0a77ae76b44063d1.jpgA2.thumb.jpg.6045e7242dcd9d46f539a1e8d58992bf.jpg

EURO4 also has it.. The snow/rain charts on these are prtty naff.. But its there and more very beefy showers packing in Wednesday early morning

484126705_E1.thumb.gif.bb5566edd64844d62a38a804bce25107.gif520604518_E2.thumb.gif.dc3f0ffd8f5dcab740fb82d8518aa0dd.gif645457947_E3.thumb.gif.a3a0b4fd3ebf87e2286d8a047d8fc346.gif

While the MOD thread are concerned about chasing cold after 5 days they got all this starring them in the face.. 

Homer-Simpson-Doh.thumb.jpg.1ecd3321c549e471ff7129a8cda064b9.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Surrey said:

Going to be great! Although if either way rain or snow it's going to be VERY dangerous tomorrow morning under foot and driving.. 

Looks like temps maybe able to get below freezing before we all wake up and commute to work and school.. 

Anything that does fall could to turn to ice, given any rain will wash the grit away its a nightmare situation 

2mtemp_20190121_00_033.thumb.jpg.30c9c47f0d6f71b246477035f048aabd.jpg

I WS thinking it had ice storm potential, was hoping I was wrong, remembering March, horrible stuff.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
35 minutes ago, Sharpedge said:

To the uninitiated, what is it showing Surrey?

A snowy trough right behind the cold front.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Good Morning all and thanks Surrey for a good post to read this morning.

I'm looking forward to a day of contemplating what tomorrow and the rest of the week may bring. The outputs today and more so this evening will be fascinating and certainly ones to keep on file no matter what, for future reference.

...Enjoy the slippery ride folks!!!!

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted

Forgot to say I'd like a fiver for every time we miss out on a proper Easterly, from a selfish point of view etc.

Really annoying and can slightly understand why people have thrown the towel in yet again with the " Winter is Over " remarks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Forgot to say I'd like a fiver for every time we miss out on a proper Easterly, from a selfish point of view etc.

Really annoying and can slightly understand why people have thrown the towel in yet again with the " Winter is Over " remarks.

While its -6 in places with chance of snow over the next few days lol! 

Posted
1 minute ago, Kent Blizzard said:

I can't, winter is no where near over.

Posted
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

While its -6 in places with chance of snow over the next few days lol! 

Depends what you want or expect I guess, proper Easterly as we was being flirted with or a mess from elsewhere.

Just now, Kent Blizzard said:

Depends what you want or expect I guess, proper Easterly as we was being flirted with or a mess from elsewhere.

I actually think this is the case...

Last winter was exceptional later on I don't think I will experience anything like that on top of Windsor by the Iron horse again in my life..  full on Arctic -2 in the day with a windchill below -10.. Snow over 2 feet in drifts..

That is literally incredible in this country to have that. Living next to the biggest ocean in the world and having a prevailing westerly weather setup people don't actually appreciate how rare it is... 

Even to get a night like last night and this morning is RARE. We do not have a cold climate and history tells us that winters here are getting wetter and warmer.. 

Posted
27 minutes ago, craigore said:

Dropped to -5.4 in ramsgate/Manston 

Currently -2.8...

Everything white with hoar frost.

That's more like it! Beautiful wintry scenes across Thanet this morning. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I can't, winter is no where near over.

In terms of weather type perhaps not but in terms of time we are now on the downhill run, end of this week are almost into the last Month of Winter and for every 10 day carrot dangler charts Winter will be over.

But hey.....we always have Spring to look forward to for Snow.

Posted
2 hours ago, Surrey said:

Temperatures across the region this morning... Wow! - 6! Under 0c uppers.. Just goes to show you don't need - 10 uppers to be cold.. 

Screenshot_20190121-053245.thumb.png.17ed226df5d881869a11f36b18443f5a.png

Not sure how accurate my weather station is as it’s not particularly expensive but having said that I’m pretty much slap bang under the -6, can’t remember my area ever being the coldest!

59C552E3-0301-4C5E-949F-965D9E9F0783.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

I see the 7 day temperature trend brings the milder air further South, would match the met office forecast.

...how long to tap into the colder air again would be anyone's guess at this stage! Hopefully not long.

Time to appreciate what we have right under our noses and if we see falling snow this week, appreciate it!!

Edited by Kent Blizzard