Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Blessed Weather

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

1 hour ago, Matty88 said:

The weather works in extremely strange ways at times - and my instinct tells me there's a lot more to it than meets the eyes of many on here and the pro's. 

If you recall, we had a relatively early(ish) start to spring last year once the beast from the east cleared in March, we then had an early shot of freezing weather in October/Early November (which had that set up arrived in Dec/Jan we would have been talking a major event). That seemed to burn off any chances downstream of further cold... and my instinct in November/December (and indeed I even posted about it on here) told that we may be in for an early shot of spring as the winter season began 'early' - indeed everything seemed to have shifted forward somewhat. It's probably just a co-incidence (or not?) - but it has happened and here we are with 18 Degree temps on 26th February 2019. 

So when you talk about this leading to a pretty rubbish summer (or our standard summer!)... it wouldn't surprise me if there may well be some truth in that down the line. That said, I won't complain if we end up with some terrific storms and deluges 😎

Anyone that can decipher weather patterns and make accurate long term forecasts definitely gets my respect. Such a difficult process and so many variables, especially here in NW Europe.

The last time we had a warm spell like this in February was 1998, if memory serves me correctly. I think the following summer was pretty uneventful? I love sun and warmth in summer but am hopeful of more thundery activity than last year. Should see more of that in Prague. It’s the decline in UK summer thunderstorms that I’ve noticed in the last 15-20 years. Even in winter, thundery showers seem to have become rarer. 

Edited by stainesbloke

2 hours ago, lassie23 said:

This could end badly for wildlife if cold appears. I've seen bees, wasps, butterflies, and birds are collecting building material for nests.

That's what I've BEEn thinking too...saw a few butterflies and bumbles yesterday but haven't seen any birds with nesting material, sod's law it will happen!

Had 19.1c as a max yesterday. We are up about 1c today so far so there maybe a shot at 20c here today as a max, which would be quite outrageous really for Feb!

Not near a thermometer but it feels a lot warmer than 12 o'clock yesterday

Edited by laddie

2 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

That's what I've BEEn thinking too...saw a few butterflies and bumbles yesterday but haven't seen any birds with nesting material, sod's law it will happen!

Frogs are currently spawning in the pond about 3-4 weeks early so any freeze up now could be bad for them. 

Weather station in my garden is saying 20.2°c at the moment in Holmbury St Mary....

I do not know if my garden thermometer is working but it says that the temperature is 15°C.

20.5c max so far in Reigate today. So we've not yet beaten yesterday's 20.6c

Record has gone again though 

Edited by abruzzi spur

Sun was almost burning me through the car window. Glorious and insane for this time of year.

Wonder when 21 C or 70 f will be breached again when this warm spell is over  could be a long wait 

14 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Wonder when 21 C or 70 f will be breached again when this warm spell is over  could be a long wait 

This is going to go down as a very historical event. I can’t see this happening again for some time. Reminds me very much of March 2012. But then we all know how quickly the tide turned later that month and into April. 

1 hour ago, Badgers01 said:

21.2c at Kew so yes ! Amazing day !!

Incredible,nudging 18c on the South coast too.

A temperature of over 21c in February!

Warmer than Ibiza today

19c reaches here after a frosty start.

really quite incredible think a year ago we were seeing temperatures struggling to get close to freezing.

whilst I guess it isn’t great for collies in terms of the conditions, you have to respect that this spell has gone the full hog in terms that of warmth the lack of breeze and clear skies also help of course.

2 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

whilst I guess it isn’t great for collies in terms of the conditions

Our Spaniel has been loving it 😄

41 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Talk of snow in the model waffle thread

Quite amazing to see the number of people wearing coats and scarves on the tube this evening.

They obviously dress for the month and not the weather. 😁 

For once, I wish I was in the UK lol 😂 Quite cloudy and cool-ish, here in Prague. 

Looking at the latest GFS, a dramatic change in the weather from next week, much windier and wetter. I think @TomSE12’s instinct might be right, the latter stages of the run shows a potent northerly. 

Another gorgeous sunset here this evening.

C3B2C83E-D6E5-4DFB-9786-0C0C8DD933F6.jpeg

33 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

This is going to go down as a very historical event. I can’t see this happening again for some time. Reminds me very much of March 2012. But then we all know how quickly the tide turned later that month and into April. 

Yes, I hope to never experience a summer like 2012 again. Vile! 

18.6C in Croydon today 🌞

Stunning day after a cold a frosty start. 

The warmth feel from the sun come 1pm was quite something for 26th Feb. Up to 19c here at 2pm with cloudless sky’s. 

Hopefully a taster of another scorchio summer. Back to business as usual next week with bouts of rain & wind. 

What a cracking fine spell Mother Nature has given us though. 

Stunning day and stunning period of weather.  Those that call this boring need their heads tested.  The flip side is the worry that AGW is indeed in full swing.

21.2C in Kew Gardens seems to be the record breaker so far...

46 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Stunning day and stunning period of weather.  Those that call this boring need their heads tested.  The flip side is the worry that AGW is indeed in full swing.

21.2C in Kew Gardens seems to be the record breaker so far...

Yes it is in full swing, there’s  no disputing that now. In 30 years time our kids & grandchildren will be going out in radiation suits in mid summer.