Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Blessed Weather

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

An absolutely stunning day. You really would mistake this for being may. Really does feel weird hearing the ambient sound of lawnmowers and birds in full sing in February! 

1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

You're talking as if we don't see this type of weather often...from the majority of April though to mid-October last year we experienced a lot of sun and dry conditions, don't get me wrong this is better than wet, cloudy stuff but we shouldn't be having this in February!...and synoptically when there is still 'room' for cold weather do get a high anchored to the east or south east without a change is boring. Only my opinion of course 🙂

I have been basking in the sun in a pub garden, raising a few glasses of wine, it is Alan Partridge day after all.
I was however also comparing the 16.4 degrees here against historical local weather station data and identifying the planes over head. 

Northern hemisphere temperature anomaly is pretty frightening really, been consistently like this all winter. Scary times indeed. 

Also Southern Hemisphere for good measure  

FFA61007-D4B3-4152-AC6C-9DCDBBB4B4A0.png

8952710F-67D4-4C8E-B8C5-81533BBF57D4.png

Edited by shotski

2 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

You're talking as if we don't see this type of weather often...from the majority of April though to mid-October last year we experienced a lot of sun and dry conditions, don't get me wrong this is better than wet, cloudy stuff but we shouldn't be having this in February!...and synoptically when there is still 'room' for cold weather do get a high anchored to the east or south east without a change is boring. Only my opinion of course 🙂

We don’t see this type of weather in late February very often - in fact, it’s very rare. 

This time last year, we were going into the freezer, which was followed by a cracking summer. Wonder if this gorgeous spell will be followed by a cack summer? 

Back in Prague today and a beautiful day here, too, though it ‘only’ reached 14C. Nice sunset right now 

C8603531-B382-4059-BB56-A14B9EA7B3B3.jpeg

Edited by stainesbloke

47 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

We don’t see this type of weather in late February very often - in fact, it’s very rare. 

Not of recent February's not to sat they haven't been mild - March's of the 00's and 2010's have often had spells like this though (lasted at least a week) which goes unnoticed behind the cold facades of 2013 and 2018.

1 hour ago, moogyboobles said:

I was however also comparing the 16.4 degrees here against historical local weather station data and identifying the planes over head. 

16.4 degrees of pure British Fahrenheit - to quote the great man!

Edited by Froze were the Days

47 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Wonder if this gorgeous spell will be followed by a cack summer? 

I'd be surprised if we do...haven't had a bad summer since the Olympic year 2012.

1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

This time last year, we were going into the freezer, which was followed by a cracking summer. Wonder if this gorgeous spell will be followed by a cack summer? 

Back in Prague today and a beautiful day here, too, though it ‘only’ reached 14C. Nice sunset right now 

I was thinking the same too mate. 

Hope this gorgeous weather isn’t ploughing us into an awful summer. 

Another beautiful day ahead tomorrow, it’s my day off so I’ll be out and about enjoying it, not caring less when it’s going to rain next. March into April can be a very wet months, longer it stays dry the better. 

It has been a beautifully sunny day in South Ockendon.  The maximum temperature in South Ockendon was 17°C/18°C.  The hottest place in UK was in Ceredigon in Wales was 20.3C which is where my cousin lives.

Strange to think I was scraping a large amount of ice off the car this morning, only to leave work with temperatures more like late spring than February at 18c. Another glorious day with cloudless skies and barely a breath of wind.

3 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Not of recent February's not to sat they haven't been mild - March's of the 00's and 2010's have often had spells like this though (lasted at least a week) which goes unnoticed behind the cold facades of 2013 and 2018.

16.4 degrees of pure British Fahrenheit - to quote the great man!

image.thumb.png.1f864dba1f8c3b9b020d68324b44cefd.png

2 hours ago, Katrine Basso said:

It has been a beautifully sunny day in South Ockendon.  The maximum temperature in South Ockendon was 17°C/18°C.  The hottest place in UK was in Ceredigon in Wales was 20.3C which is where my cousin lives.

Official highs are;

Trawsgoed 20.6c
Northolt 20.4c
Gogerddan 20.1c

Lots of butterflies out today. Mad. Never seen them out so early!

A quite remarkable day here on the South Coast with temperatures locally of 17.1c.

It wasn't just the temperature itself which made it such an unusual day, it was the absence of even a slight breeze and the pure clear blue clarity of the sky. Fantastic day.

Certainly a big change from late Wednesday onwards. Atlantic gearing up after a long absence. Active weather on way. Maybe the seasons will get back into proper sync at last. 

Screenshot_20190225-205540.png

Having looked at the 12z runs, I'm even more convinced of an Arctic based Northerly, as we go further into March. The Models seem to be gearing themselves up for that scenario, there's some seriously cold air lurking to our North, waiting to surge South, given the opportunity. It will certainly come as a "shock to the system", after the current spell of weather.

One last hurrah, for us cold weather lovers!!

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

23 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Having looked at the 12z runs, I'm even more convinced of an Arctic based Northerly, as we go further into March. The Models seem to be gearing themselves up for that scenario, there's some seriously cold air lurking to our North, waiting to surge South, given the opportunity. It will certainly come as a "shock to the system", after the current spell of weather.

Regards,

Tom. 

Indeed Tom. 

And there is always April. I have found some pics of the April 2008 London snowfall... Not sure what date, think it was Easter weekend though. 

That's a London snowman if ever there was one!! 

april-2008-snow-in-london-london-fields-hackney-AY9BET.jpg

snowapr081.JPG

Screenshot_20190225-214145.png

Edited by Wimbledon88

7 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Having looked at the very early overnight Model runs, I'm still of the same opinion, as my quoted post, above. At some point in the next couple of weeks, I think it's very likely that we could be plunged back into Winter, temporarily. And as W88 depicts above, even April can deliver some Wintry surprises.

As we enter the final few days of Meteorological Winter, I wanted to bring some final news of our "extended", alliterated family. Our family of Jewish Snowmen, Sammy, Mum and Dad (Solomon and Sharon) and Sister, Sally, have all arrived safely back in the U.K.

image.png.629df9a26bda3b898d24aec2e3310a50.pngimage.png.47bbd5f1e54c87df8dd86dca37c2052b.pngimage.png.a183fbd9b1838572489639f2fbe3bf31.png

They flew home courtesy of: image.thumb.png.683d6e7de0d874c7cc585baabac8ffe6.png but they've relocated to SNOWshill, Gloucestershire,

image.thumb.png.8670c8f19f4a3004d3206303c222b125.png high in the picturesque, Cotswolds. Sammy has had to  remain in Freddie Freezer

image.thumb.png.cd17274042cafa452e761623636dd443.png due to the unseasonably high temperatures of the last few days and is hoping to be let out should we experience an Arctic sourced Northerly, in the next few weeks.

Meanwhile here in S.E.London, the "Mad House" continues, unabated.

Our non-alliterated Dreams bed, Lucia (that's her actual name), continues to cause havoc amongst the male furniture.

image.thumb.png.2e436cc25bdc171a225c8447e53e114c.png Dressed very flirtatiously in faux chocolate leather, the boys are all a quiver!!

Charlie, Chest of Drawers has collapsed - image.png.d56a5d48e212fa8c9d413151801e2242.pngFortunately my Brother-in-Law has managed to put him back together again (my D-I-Y skills, weren't up to much before my illness and certainly not now!!)

image.png.a3e235a02c294fed1a2d7a9fd7553e8e.pngWally Wardrobe hasn't been the same since he "clapped" eyes, on Lucia!!

No wonder they've got silly grins on their faces!!  image.thumb.png.929c5e17db609891f080526f5e0710ef.png

Teresa Television, sits astride Charlie (which he's happy about) and remains aghast at Lucia's, flirty antics.

Apart from being our bed, Lucia  is also Au Pair to our Soft Toy, family.

image.thumb.png.eb979de957c11e5bcde1172fd7dd5493.png Billie the eldest (but conversely, the smallest) and like yours truly, a weather geek.

image.thumb.png.bc043c554ce4b8deb119a4f040b3430d.png Rupert( aka Wobbly)and his 1 year old twin Sister, Darcey Bella.  image.thumb.png.8f7581d6b41edeeab7c738baf4143c0d.png

All seen posing in one of  my straw trilbies.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

image.png

Looks like we might be in for another amazing day ? Yet again a ground frost and an air temp currently of 0.3c I find this weather truly amazing if we can’t have cold this is the next best thing 4 seasons in one day. 

10 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Certainly a big change from late Wednesday onwards. Atlantic gearing up after a long absence. Active weather on way. Maybe the seasons will get back into proper sync at last. 

Screenshot_20190225-205540.png

Very much doubt that, a lot has changed over the years- less snow, less storms and less rain at least imby. That as a weather fan is very boring indeed, not sure what there is to be excited about by endless dry and warmth (better than endless cloud unless it rains), i like variety in a climate. Whilst it's nice to enjoy a bit of warmth as something a bit different for feb, I still think it's a worrying trend, seems like every other month is warmer than 'normal' these days, sure the polar bears are loving it.

I'll be interested to see if we get more than 5mm of rain in the Cambridgeshire dust bowl with the big change at the  end of the week. 

This could end badly for wildlife if cold appears. I've seen bees, wasps, butterflies, and birds are collecting building material for nests.

One last piece of Tomfoolery from me, to end Winter.

image.png.0e3c983953c329b1697950076f93ccba.png      Fabrizio and his Sister, Francesca                 image.png.0e1fba7fb69e67ee4b0b7cc165d7873c.png

have returned from their Winter break in Italy and have been enjoying the unseasonable warmth, here in S.E.London.

Sorry to all heat-loving members but myself and Colette, sincerely hope we don't have to employ them as much as we did, last Summer. The heat and humidity really got too much, in S.E.London.

image.png.ab866170ed6470d877a8fb03c4a648a7.pngReggie the Reindeer (evidently, he's had his name changed to Rudolf), much preferred Reggie,

is enjoying the fresher air, of Orpington. Uncle Svarlbard (the Polar Bear) - image.png.ac2f90c1b6192c73370e60ce6272856e.png

remains in Colette's wardrobe, awaiting a Spring clean. After which he'll be joining his Arctic friend Reggie, in Orpington. As the recipient, my Niece's daughter (with an Italian father), Uncle S. will undergo a name change too and will in future be called, Paolo.

If Lassie reads this, Colette is still very concerned about your "Pot Noodle diet"!! Her son has just bought her an early Mother's Day present: image.png.51c800bfd38c04120d90d578621eacd6.png Corinne the Slow Cooker. Corinne has already served up a wonderful chicken casserole and Sunday just gone, an amazing beef stew with delicious dumplings. Colette wants me to arrange the transportation of said dishes over to you, in N.W.London and you can "virtually" pay me back, at Cheltenham!!

I really hope Ian Currie has called the prospect of height rises over Greenland and a resultant Arctic outbreak in March, correctly.

I don't think Ian has done as bad, as some LRF's, that were put out there. He didn't see any HLB, during the Winter months (correct). Any Northerly (after a few "bites of the cherry"), would come off the back of a mid-Atlantic ridge (correct). Although, I think Ian thought there would be a little more wintriness than we've seen, this Winter.

I really appreciate Ian allowing his thoughts to be expressed on this Forum plus the reproduction of "snowy" photos, from his Kent and Surrey Weather Books. I really hope those Members who inquired about purchasing a copy of his Kent or Surrey Weather Books, took up Ian's, amazing offer.

So, really hope image.png.56a58823cece79d1370fa14afa3bdc31.pngdoesn't end up with image.thumb.png.0130b842efe2c134fae6236010d45dd3.png all over his face, after his March Forecast!! :nonono:

Being so accommodating with his thoughts and photos, deserves better.

I shan't be posting much on this thread, in the coming months, as Spring and Summer, don't "cut the mustard" for me weather wise!! So, breathe a "sigh of relief", as you'll all be spared those terrible, illustrated puns!!

I'm going to be very busy, "hosting" Fantasy Sports Competitions, around the corner on the Sports Zone. But I'll certainly be popping back, should that March Northerly turn up.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12

15 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

This could end badly for wildlife if cold appears. I've seen bees, wasps, butterflies, and birds are collecting building material for nests.

Very true. Another problem will be the fruit trees that will start much earlier than normal and may get decimated by frosts later in the spring. 

16 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

The weather works in extremely strange ways at times - and my instinct tells me there's a lot more to it than meets the eyes of many on here and the pro's. 

If you recall, we had a relatively early(ish) start to spring last year once the beast from the east cleared in March, we then had an early shot of freezing weather in October/Early November (which had that set up arrived in Dec/Jan we would have been talking a major event). That seemed to burn off any chances downstream of further cold... and my instinct in November/December (and indeed I even posted about it on here) told that we may be in for an early shot of spring as the winter season began 'early' - indeed everything seemed to have shifted forward somewhat. It's probably just a co-incidence (or not?) - but it has happened and here we are with 18 Degree temps on 26th February 2019. 

So when you talk about this leading to a pretty rubbish summer (or our standard summer!)... it wouldn't surprise me if there may well be some truth in that down the line. That said, I won't complain if we end up with some terrific storms and deluges 😎

3 nights on the trot I've been sub zero.. 

Had to scrape the car each morning and with a frosty lawn to boot.

Not bad considering how lovely it is by lunchtime each day.

Actually really liking this weather..