Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Blessed Weather

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

1 hour ago, John Stevens said:

Oh ok..... That's a shame.... The reason I like coming in to this forum, isn't just for the weather related comments but also for light hearted, down to earth, chat that people have on day to day basis...... Goats, melons, cucumbers and most importantly @TomSE12's life, history and weather....but more importantly the fact that people feel that they can talk about normal day to day things with other normal people..... Yes weather related maybe, but more often than not...... But at the end of the day if people just can't talk in whatever "forum" they've got friends they feel comfortable talking to then you may as well just delete the thread entirely........ This will almost certainly get deleted but hey hum...

Understand as the majority do, life is hard

It's a weather related thread though, not behind the key hole or jk.

Imo get a grip. Respect to Tom though life can be cruel

Very warm at times in North west kent today. 

Imagine this will not be received very well in the community but I only come on here because I like COLD. Will be gone soon 😯

Light  hearted 👍

Deep 👎 

Many more platforms or email 4 this.

Edited by icykev

Morning all,

Up early again, for the second time after a restless night, due to a nasty cold. Weather very benign, at the moment. Looks like we can expect a bit of fog, in the next few days. If Lassie sees this, is there an FFI (February Fog Index) and what does that tell us about the coming, Spring/Summer?

Perhaps, for March as well (an MFI) but as a forecasting tool is ok for a couple of days, then falls apart. (Boom, boom!!). Nothing very boom, boom about the Model runs, this morning. Although the 00z ECM looks as though it could introduce a wintry Northerly, if it went further, than t240.

image.thumb.png.b86bef5f5f38ca63965affe58ca713be.png

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

7 hours ago, John Stevens said:

Oh ok..... That's a shame.... The reason I like coming in to this forum, isn't just for the weather related comments but also for light hearted, down to earth, chat that people have on day to day basis...... Goats, melons, cucumbers and most importantly @TomSE12's life, history and weather....but more importantly the fact that people feel that they can talk about normal day to day things with other normal people..... Yes weather related maybe, but more often than not...... But at the end of the day if people just can't talk in whatever "forum" they've got friends they feel comfortable talking to then you may as well just delete the thread entirely........ This will almost certainly get deleted but hey hum...

Hi John,

Sounds like you may not be aware that there is a 'Lounge' area on Netweather where you can chat away to people about all sorts of things? Pop over and take a look. There are dozens of different threads and topics, from gardening to music to metal detecting. Here's a screen grab and the link.

1132776322_Loungegrab.thumb.jpg.f60b1006de89ea1f0e824c8c759ffbfe.jpg

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/17-the-lounge/

Sun has now burnt through the fog, but a pea souper out there this morning. I love driving over the M2 bridge in the fog. It's like being on a bridge to nowhere.

9 hours ago, m1chaels said:

What is the perceived wisdom on cutting the grass in early spring when there might still be sharp frosts to come?

A light cut is ok, don’t go too short or the grass may get frost burn.

What an absolute corker of a day! Wall-to-wall sunshine, 3 mph SW breeze, and 12.2C at 11 am...:yahoo:

11.5c just now. Just about right to get some allotment work done. Another day leave off work. 🙂

Met going for pretty average day temperature wise. There is alot of non sensical euphoria on the other thread about this 'heat'. Nonsense. 

Hopefully get some decent rain soon. 

Screenshot_20190222-120812.png

Edited by Wimbledon88

16 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

11.5c just now. Just about right to get some allotment work done. Another day leave off work. 🙂

Met going for pretty average day temperature wise. There is alot of non sensical euphoria on the other thread about this 'heat'. Nonsense. 

It's not hot lol

5 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Morning all,

Up early again, for the second time after a restless night, due to a nasty cold. Weather very benign, at the moment. Looks like we can expect a bit of fog, in the next few days. If Lassie sees this, is there an FFI (February Fog Index) and what does that tell us about the coming, Spring/Summer?

Perhaps, for March as well (an MFI) but as a forecasting tool is ok for a couple of days, then falls apart. (Boom, boom!!). Nothing very boom, boom about the Model runs, this morning. Although the 00z ECM looks as though it could introduce a wintry Northerly, if it went further, than t240.

image.thumb.png.b86bef5f5f38ca63965affe58ca713be.png

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

I couldn't find anything on February fog but there is an August Fog Index😮

Foggy today, started last night, hasn't lifted or burnt through yet.

2 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Apart from snow, today is pretty much perfect weather, nice and warm in the sun without being overly hot. Maxes of 20 this summer would be lovely 😊 ⛅️ 

thick fog rolling in here from the sea.

7c and foggy, hasn’t burnt off all day and it actually feels cold outside in the wind...

Evening all,

Well the Forecast Models continue to frustrate. As Ian Currie's thoughts aren't quite going to plan, I thought I'd have a word with another Meteorologist friend of mine. Mrs. Anne Elk, sorry that should be Miss, she's a bit touchy about her marital status!!

When I asked her about her current thoughts as we end the Winter Season, she stated the following:

"Winters in the U.K. are mild at one end, much, much colder in the middle and mild again, at the other end."

Well, we've had the mild bits Anne but what happened to the cold??

Not really what you or I wanted to hear, no doubt. But please, don't shoot the messenger!! :nonono:

Here is Anne appearing on a programme called, Science Today, espousing another one of her theories about the Brontosaurus:

I apologise about the quality of the clip. Anne can be a very nervous individual and yes, I do have some very strange friends!!

I hope B.W is ok with this, at least I kept it weather related this time.

Regards,

Tom. :hi::crazy:

My Wife tells me it felt very mild outside today. Managed to get my head down for a couple of hours this afternoon, to negate the amount of sleep I lost last night, due to a blasted cold. Still slept a little, despite my airwaves wanting to give me a rendition of Mozart's, Violin Concerto No.1 in B - Flat Major and crikey, it was flat!! :wallbash:

Really not fair, as my Wife has had this cold but without making a cacophony of noise, as well.

Really hope I can sleep quietly tonight, as Colette has a 12 hour shift, tomorrow. :oops:

Truly hoping that Ian Currie's March Greenland height rises and subsequent Northerly start being reflected in the Forecast Models soon, things are starting to get a little desperate. :help:

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Edited by TomSE12

Foggy August equals cold February, AFI anyone😉

2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Foggy August equals cold February, AFI anyone😉

Praps we should keep the Fog Index going all year!

I might make my new forum name Fog Index!! 

I don't remember any Feb being this foggy. 

6 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

Praps we should keep the Fog Index going all year!

I might make my new forum name Fog Index!! 

I don't remember any Feb being this foggy. 

team fog index

Up early again,

Had breakfast with my Wife before she left to start a 12 hour shift, at a Residential Care Home.

Overnight Model runs not that inspiring again, from a Coldie's perspective!! :nonono: Although to my untrained eye, the Models that do go out a bit further, look to be prepping themselves for a Northerly sourced outbreak, as we go deeper into March. :whistling:

Managed to get some decent sleep, despite ongoing cold. Fortunately Bruce and Brenda, my Bronchial Tube couple, gave it a rest, with the Violin Recitals!! Hopefully, Phlegmy Phil  image.png.e7767fc19d3e30f7c29e182e26e673dd.pngwill do one soon and let the loved up couple, breathe more easily!!

image.thumb.png.9e47ac5f71c6479b05388464c4708372.png

But my sleep was still punctuated with sounds, now more akin to a creaking door on a Hammer Horror film or those strange sounds that accompany the "buzzers" on the Comedy Panel Show, Q.I. All very bizarre but hopefully this nasty cold is on the wane, now. Anyway, thankfully Colette managed to get some decent sleep before her long and arduous day, at work.

Regards,

Spent breakfast with Colette, reminiscing about my Italian mother. Fortunately my Wife met her to be Mother-in-Law many times, at their local shops. I met Colette via my younger Sister, Angela. They were at school together in Bromley, N.W.Kent.

I was telling my Wife about the time, during the late 1960's and 1970's, when I would retune our Kitchen wireless (wow, that dates me!!), to Radio 4, so I could listen to the Shipping Forecast. One day, Mum came out with the following "classic" line:

"Toma, whya youa wanna listen to thata sh..a, whena we'a dona even hava shipa, here ina Bromley?? 

Loved listening to the Shipping Forecast, in cold, wintry spells.

THAMES; Heavy, prolonged Snow Showers. East 5 or 6. Ah, music to my ears!! Would even get excited by mention of severe icing in, S.E.ICELAND. I was easily pleased!!

Mum was full of strange Hilda Baker type, gobbledygook and incorrect intonation of syllables when speaking English, bless her and highly amusing to hear. She also had a fiery, Neapolitan temper, which I remember to my cost. I slapped my younger Sister one day and felt Mums shoe, whistle past my ear and embed itself, in our Living Room door.  In typical Italian fashion, she was full of remorse and Mama Mia's, realising she could've had her son's eye out!! I learned very quickly not to upset my Neapolitan Mother. :nonono:

Excuse the fake Italian accent but Mum was born 30 miles north of Naples and had a lovely, lilting Neapolitan accent.

image.thumb.png.3deaaac764fd83c33aefda03c8fdfafd.png image.thumb.png.4aadacad8d16bbc287dd9b6f52352112.png Evidently, Dad was taken with her dark, sultry looks.

And Mum thought Dad resembled Burt Lancaster, don't quite see that myself. But due to his Wife's fantastic cooking and old age. With his expanding cargo hold, Dad started to resemble one of these:

image.png.a36a7607a303eb7cd68d9111793eab77.png  a Lancaster Bomber, bless him and (R.I.P.) Dad.

Apparently, Dad had a thing for Italian actresses, such as Claudia Cardinale: image.thumb.png.6d05a0a147502c47bd264b6738c0c52b.png

Gina Lollobrigida: image.thumb.png.2bdb7bf512984834e0a74fd9ea4b56d6.png (Evidently, Dad's favourite).

And of course, Sophia Loren: image.thumb.png.527b65a70ae9d27c7e941e2f213b0600.png

But like a lot of Italian women after childbirth, Mum became a bit "cuddly", around the edges, shall we say.

But although I'm biased, in her 20's she would've given the above, a run for their money!!

Dad stayed on in Italy after the War, to marry his Italian Fiancee. in 1947. Along with another English soldier/Italian bride, Mum and Dad were invited by Gracie Fields, to spend time on her private beach, adjoining her Villa, on the Isle of Capri.

Mum said that Dad got very jealous during their honeymoon, as she was being wolf-whistled at by locals, whilst sun bathing.

As you can imagine, myself and my two sisters, have very fond memories of our Mother. Up until her death in 2004, she became a very much loved, cuddly NONNA, to her five Grandchildren. She will also be remembered for her amazing Italian cooking, which was DELIZIOSA and PERFETTA.

Really hope B.W., Lauren and the rest of the Forum team, don't mind a bit more, family history. But the weather's very benign,boring and a bit "meh", for us Chionophiles (apologies to Katrine, for pinching her Avatar description.)

Well, looks like being another Springlike (yuck!!) day, today. Read the Calendar weather!. It's still Winter!

Think I'll turn the heating down now Feeling a bit feverish again, perhaps due to looking at the photos of those Italian actresses! :oldsmile: 😓

Regards,

Much better morning than yesterday here, not anywhere near as much cloud.

Beautiful here. 

Blue sky and sun. Going to be a splendid day. 

Luuurrvley!! 

I had written a post about three days ago thinking I had sent it turns out I hadn’t at all 😂 

As many of you are aware it’s half term, I had loads of plans but none have worked out poorly car and very poorly children AGAIN 😞 I suppose that the risk you take when you have four children.

We haven’t been anywhere really at all but today I have put them out to play for a bit, it’s absolute beautiful out here, itt so warm in the sun if it stays like this I will be happy lady. 

Murky start with low cloud, that burnt off around 10am, now cloudless and temps rapidly climbing. Up to 13c now, another stunning day.

Hope everyone is enjoying summer 2019