Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
7 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

Really strange fog just kind of rolled over the hill and covered us.

How about February Fog Ind....never mind.

IMG_1624.JPG

lol not sure what it means in Feb, i'll google Feb weatherlore. I can't call the october fog index a complete bust as i had two pathetic attempts as snow lol the fact that it was pointing to a mostly mild winter due to the lack of fog has been spot on

Edited by lassie23

Posted

It’s been raining all day here. Thoroughly miserable. The snow is desperately hanging on. 7 days now with snow cover. I think it’ll be all gone in the morning at this rate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

this morning I have woken up with the virus my baby daughter has. I’m shaking so much that I could wash my own clothes. With my hand. It’s not nice at all. I was even more moody when  I heard the rain. It looks like we are in for a wet and windy few days. ( it is winter I guess and we are british) it doesn’t make it better tho. Very interested in that post earlier from Mr @yamkin who knows what or if anything will come from that. I’m really glad that some of you had some snow even if it was for a little while. Snow is getting less and less nowadays so these snow events are what we need to make memories from . 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
3 hours ago, DonnaThw said:

this morning I have woken up with the virus my baby daughter has. I’m shaking so much that I could wash my own clothes. With my hand. It’s not nice at all. I was even more moody when  I heard the rain. It looks like we are in for a wet and windy few days. ( it is winter I guess and we are british) it doesn’t make it better tho. Very interested in that post earlier from Mr @yamkin who knows what or if anything will come from that. I’m really glad that some of you had some snow even if it was for a little while. Snow is getting less and less nowadays so these snow events are what we need to make memories from . 

Really hope you feel better soon! Sounds nasty, I despise shivers...

Posted
35 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

got thick fog at one end of my street and nowt up my end, it's not even a long one

Perhaps the next time it snows, it will only snow at one end of your street.

My road is very long...it goes from Cheapside to Fishguard!

Posted
5 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

Perhaps the next time it snows, it will only snow at one end of your street.

My road is very long...it goes from Cheapside to Fishguard!

as long as it's my end lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Signal trends and all the other tele-communications have been looking good since december

Posted
5 minutes ago, snowrye said:

Signal trends and all the other tele-communications have been looking good since december

they will continue to look good into april at this rate 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Model fatigue all round I admire anyone who can muster enthusiasm for the hint of cold weather 14 days hence !! Just looked out window and shocked to see a real pea souper out there can’t see the end of the garden, reminds me of  a post cold spell in the 80’s. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

00z ECM and UKMO singing from the same hymn sheet, for Mon11th Feb.

00z ECM Mon.11th Feb (t144)

image.thumb.png.59a58d541064e6879dfb7202d71a9b56.png

image.thumb.png.b3f9889a6ca053ebdab386a9edd51651.png

00z UKMO Mon.11th Feb.(t144)

image.thumb.png.f1dfde4b442831a10f65d4e4715a40b1.png

image.thumb.png.afefae510be626867ea7c51f075f9da8.png

When I spoke to Ian Currie on Sunday, he was of the opinion that we could see some transient Northerlies, from around mid-February. Or to give that a Daily Express type headline, "A Dwarf From The North"!!. These transient Northerlies coming off the back of West to East tracking Lows, in association with a mid-Atlantic. As I stated on Sunday, Ian wasn't expecting any strong Northern blocking, this month. But Mr.Currie did think we might see some retrogressing of heights towards Greenland come March with the possibility of a more substantive Northerly being the result.

I'd like to order one of these, please:

4th MARCH 1970

image.thumb.png.5f7a4a3a251473bc2b7aa0fab5043757.png

image.thumb.png.4ff6f8c977294cdf3f262eed1ed64c01.png

The following quote, taken from Trevor Harley's excellent, The British Weather, website.

" March - 1970. Very cold (3.7C CET) overall. The month started with northerly winds. There was a major and unexpected snowfall on the 4th, heavy enough to bring down power lines in Kent. Some parts of Northants. and Beds. reported about 40 cms of snow, with the deepest being nearly 48cm near Northampton. Snow fell heavily for twelve hours across a wide part of the south. In parts of the north southeast (if you see what I mean) and the East Midlands it was the heaviest snowfall since 1947. Near Bedford 36 cms of snow lay after 24 hours of snow. The snow was followed by some low temperatures in a northerly air flow, with -15C recorded. The snow covered lasted for more than a week, in sunshine."

I experienced this surprise snowfall, when I was 14 and lived in Bromley, Kent/S.E.London border.

March is a good time of year for a wintry, snowy Northerly. The waters surrounding the U.K., are at their coldest at this time of year and an air mass from that direction, suffers less from modification.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Fred had a bad night last night on his way out

IMG_20190205_073906.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

7c with light drizzle in Wimbledon. 

Not what was expected in the first week if February some weeks ago, as forecasted by the so called experts. 

Wouldnt it be hilarious if after all the verbose nonsense about background signals and SSWs blah blah blah, we end up with one of the mildest February's on record. 

I kind of hope so as it will back my opinion that meteorology as a science has improved at a snails pace when compared to other sciences. It was a big call this year by the experts. Not a case of a '' near miss'' either, the rest of Europe warming up rapidly too in next week to 10days.

Edited by Wimbledon88

Posted
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

March is a good time of year for a wintry, snowy Northerly. The waters surrounding the U.K., are at their coldest at this time of year and an air mass from that direction, suffers less from modification.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Hi Tom,

I agree we can get some great snowfalls into March. I think as we head into the next few weeks and on into March then the chance of sustained cold after a snowfall gets less and less, but the chance of heavy snow events actually doesn't decrease. So if its heavy snow that sticks around a few days then we might still be luck. If it's days and days of sub zero temp then that's when hopes gets dashed. 

Unless we get a repeat of March 2018 :-)

Edited by CanadianCoops
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
23 minutes ago, yamkin said:

Interesting CFS Model BFTE Set Up

anim_gvl6.gif

anim_vec9.gif

That would be perfect, bit just imagen the mod thread during the high over UK stage lol. In fact that's there now.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, yamkin said:

Interesting CFS Model BFTE Set Up

anim_gvl6.gif

anim_vec9.gif

CFS has been showing these charts 3 weeks hence since about the first week of December!

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, leedsnowfan said:

Nasty Gales coming in Friday Night....touching 70mph??!!

yep this keeps getting flagged up , have we got a weather event developing under our noses !!??

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, Badgers01 said:

yep this keeps getting flagged up , have we got a weather event developing under our noses !!??

Fingers crossed! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
1 hour ago, Badgers01 said:

CFS has been showing these charts 3 weeks hence since about the first week of December!

You watch... they’ll come about around April may time just when it’s too late like they always do....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Surprised how cold it's been today, given the southerly wind, 6-7C this afternoon but feeling much colder in the wind.

• Like 2