Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Blessed Weather

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Recommended Posts

Keeping a close eye on tomorrow into Wednesday.. 

Looks like a trailing front gets stuck over us bringing a lot of rain with it.. 

Round where I live, doesn't matter how big a drought or how dry it's been, any sign of large amounts of rainfall cause serious problems. 

The local river to me (the Bourne) floods very easily and so much has been done to try and stop it, but it's prone to flash flooding from water that rushes down from Virginia water.. I've watched it a number of times in thunderstorms it is quite a sight...

There is also a lake at the end of my garden and last year it burst its banks and the ground water level came up so high the end of my neighbours garden was under water for weeks.. 

We live on basically a clay slab, well back in the 1600-1700s the area was actually nearly under water. Some of the houses in my village are very old and the stories of the monks walking to the next village on a path through lakes is well known... Thankfully they built our cottages up, which actually saved us a few years back when my garden was part of the lake... 

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning all,

I stupidly did not check in here last night (I know very remiss), so I left home in Westcliff this morning in the dry and with no coat, by the time I got to Leigh Station it was pouring down so now I am sporting the bedraggled drowned rat look for the rest of the day, lesson learned.  Hopefully I will not catch any chills or colds as a result of my silliness, but I really do not like wearing coats..

Cheers

 

FC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, the rain has definitely arrived overnight. Here are some pics from this time in 2014 when the banks of the Thames at Kingston overflowed completely after continual rainfall. Such a contrast to yesterday's sunny skies and crisp winter air along the riverside. Don't worry, I'm not suggesting this is about to happen again, although as @Surrey said in his post, it doesn't seem to take long for the water to take hold in this area and just as the park has dried out it's going to be straight back to a mud bath again for dog walks. In the words of @stainesbloke #vile! Thanks to @TomSE12 for passing on Ian Currie's thoughts again - looks like it might be a bit of a wait for another taste of winter but fingers crossed for a final good shot at it before it's time for thoughts of spring.

 

20140117_152939.jpg

20140117_153506.jpg

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Surrey said:

Keeping a close eye on tomorrow into Wednesday.. 

Looks like a trailing front gets stuck over us bringing a lot of rain with it.. 

Round where I live, doesn't matter how big a drought or how dry it's been, any sign of large amounts of rainfall cause serious problems. 

The local river to me (the Bourne) floods very easily and so much has been done to try and stop it, but it's prone to flash flooding from water that rushes down from Virginia water.. I've watched it a number of times in thunderstorms it is quite a sight...

There is also a lake at the end of my garden and last year it burst its banks and the ground water level came up so high the end of my neighbours garden was under water for weeks.. 

We live on basically a clay slab, well back in the 1600-1700s the area was actually nearly under water. Some of the houses in my village are very old and the stories of the monks walking to the next village on a path through lakes is well known... Thankfully they built our cottages up, which actually saved us a few years back when my garden was part of the lake... 

I dare say the folk in Virginia Water can afford flood defences. 🙂

5.8mm rain last night. 17.8mm so far this month which will make up for the dry January. Plenty more to come this by looks of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Reefseeker said:

Yep, the rain has definitely arrived overnight. Here are some pics from this time in 2014 when the banks of the Thames at Kingston overflowed completely after continual rainfall. Such a contrast to yesterday's sunny skies and crisp winter air along the riverside. Don't worry, I'm not suggesting this is about to happen again, although as @Surrey said in his post, it doesn't seem to take long for the water to take hold in this area and just as the park has dried out it's going to be straight back to a mud bath again for dog walks. In the words of @stainesbloke #vile! Thanks to @TomSE12 for passing on Ian Currie's thoughts again - looks like it might be a bit of a wait for another taste of winter but fingers crossed for a final good shot at it before it's time for thoughts of spring.

 

20140117_152939.jpg

20140117_153506.jpg

I can’t believe that was 5 years ago already !! The hype running into winter 2013 was similar to this year after the cold March of 2013 - the analogues apparently pointing to a 62/63 rerun based on the cold March of 62. In the end of was so wet and stormy !

Edited by Badgers01
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

I can’t believe that was 5 years ago already !! The hype running into winter 2013 was similar to this year after the cold March of 2013 - the analogues apparently pointing to a 62/63 rerun based on the cold March of 62.

Analogues eh, where micro-scale differences lead to macro-scale disappointment when it comes to snow prospects on our little island. Imagine if the 2014 rain had fallen as snow.... Grey and dank out there today, might walk the four-legged chap on Esher Common in case it's not quite so wet under the trees as Nonsuch Park; then again I might just take him for a lead walk around the area. Perhaps a cup of tea will help with decision-making?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

I can’t believe that was 5 years ago already !! The hype running into winter 2013 was similar to this year after the cold March of 2013 - the analogues apparently pointing to a 62/63 rerun based on the cold March of 62. In the end of was so wet and stormy !

Does anyone really believe that a cold March can 'cause' the following winter to be severe? I reckon we'd be better-off if we were to ask Yuri Geller? Or better still, that Morgan woman - the one with the 'purely coincidental' earpiece?

IMO, analogue forecasting is pseudoscience at best, and flimflam at worst...?

NB: No, that wasn't fair: what I meant to say, was that the amount of information required is (at the present time) impossible to obtain; which doesn't of course mean that it forever will be...👍

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raining here as usual lol. Quite windy at tines too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To sum up winter 2028/19 so far

Ice days . None.

Days of lying snow . None.

Frosts.  Half dozen.

Verdict.

Spring please..😏

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, craigore said:

To sum up winter 2028/19 so far

Ice days . None.

Days of lying snow . None.

Frosts.  Half dozen.

Verdict.

Spring please..😏

For me

Ice days none

Days of lying snow - none apart from 2 hours of heavy snow in an eve which thawed by am

Frosts - frosts half a dozen

Verdict - rubbish winter again not intrested in any snow this year now as will not last like last year 

Hopefully another hot summer like last year 

 

Edited by clark3r
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many of us crave snow year after year and get disappointed when it fails to deliver, or fails to meet expectations, that led me to think why don't we just all book a skiing holiday for a week or two each year, get the snow fix and then we can relax ❄️

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, clark3r said:

For me

Ice days none

Days of lying snow - none apart from 2 hours of heavy snow in an eve which thawed by am

Frosts - frosts half a dozen

Verdict - rubbish winter again not intrested in any snow this year now as will not last like last year 

Hopefully another hot summer like last year 

 

last year's winter was better and that's saying something, 2 crap snow falls here if that's what you can call them 2 hard frosts and three light frosts, i would describe what we had as a cool spell as the temps here were 4 to 5 c, not far off the average. If it wasn't for low solar activity, i would have probably had 1 minute of sleet 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve had more than half a dozen frosts, always do being in the sticks near a river, but less than a few hours of lying snow which is pretty standard here these days....

Average high temps have been quite mild in general but I did record my lowest min since I got a weather station 3 years ago at -7.4C.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Esher Common putting on a brave muddy face😀

IMG_20190204_140809.jpg

IMG_20190204_140553.jpg

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really strange fog just kind of rolled over the hill and covered us.

How about February Fog Ind....never mind.

IMG_1624.JPG

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

Really strange fog just kind of rolled over the hill and covered us.

How about February Fog Ind....never mind.

IMG_1624.JPG

lol not sure what it means in Feb, i'll google Feb weatherlore. I can't call the october fog index a complete bust as i had two pathetic attempts as snow lol the fact that it was pointing to a mostly mild winter due to the lack of fog has been spot on

Edited by lassie23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s been raining all day here. Thoroughly miserable. The snow is desperately hanging on. 7 days now with snow cover. I think it’ll be all gone in the morning at this rate 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My snow didn't even last 1 day boo.  I am so looking forward to spring.  I need sun now.  If I could afford it I would go on holiday to get sun.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 this morning I have woken up with the virus my baby daughter has. I’m shaking so much that I could wash my own clothes. With my hand. It’s not nice at all. I was even more moody when  I heard the rain. It looks like we are in for a wet and windy few days. ( it is winter I guess and we are british) it doesn’t make it better tho. Very interested in that post earlier from Mr @yamkin who knows what or if anything will come from that. I’m really glad that some of you had some snow even if it was for a little while. Snow is getting less and less nowadays so these snow events are what we need to make memories from . 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DonnaThw said:

 this morning I have woken up with the virus my baby daughter has. I’m shaking so much that I could wash my own clothes. With my hand. It’s not nice at all. I was even more moody when  I heard the rain. It looks like we are in for a wet and windy few days. ( it is winter I guess and we are british) it doesn’t make it better tho. Very interested in that post earlier from Mr @yamkin who knows what or if anything will come from that. I’m really glad that some of you had some snow even if it was for a little while. Snow is getting less and less nowadays so these snow events are what we need to make memories from . 

Really hope you feel better soon! Sounds nasty, I despise shivers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got thick fog at one end of my street and nowt up my end, it's not even a long one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

got thick fog at one end of my street and nowt up my end, it's not even a long one

Perhaps the next time it snows, it will only snow at one end of your street.😊

My road is very long...it goes from Cheapside to Fishguard!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...