Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Blessed Weather

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Hey Tom

When you speak to Ian Currie can you ask him his thoughts on a possible Scandi High for the 2nd half of February.

I am favouring it to come in around the 15th of this month after 2 weeks of Mobility and an active Jet Stream coming out of the US Eastern Seaboard.

Not seeing why there are so many  winter is over posts in the Model Discussion, am certainly not giving up on winter yet.

Would like to know his thoughts if you get a chance to ask him

I hope your wife gets home safely and she gets the day of tomorrow @TomSE12 she seems like a hard worker and their lucky to have her. 

After my husband got home last night it kept snowing here in Rye. Anyway at about 12.30 my youngest daughter who has trouble with her lungs woke and had a very bad night and was quite poorly, I was awake through the night and the snow did finally settle around 3am, at 4am I had to ring 111 and they sent out an ambulance for her.  The roads were thawing by that point already. The ridge in Hastings was particularly bad but it always is. When we left a few hours ago the ridge was still very bad but drivable. The skill of the Ambulance crew driving on the slippery roads and back lanes is amazing.

3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Thanks for that, MJ...Stadium looks like an alien mothership...COYS!

Hope it disappears to another universe....Come on Arsenal!

3 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Hey Tom

When you speak to Ian Currie can you ask him his thoughts on a possible Scandi High for the 2nd half of February.

I am favouring it to come in around the 15th of this month after 2 weeks of Mobility and an active Jet Stream coming out of the US Eastern Seaboard.

Not seeing why there are so many  winter is over posts in the Model Discussion, am certainly not giving up on winter yet.

Would like to know his thoughts if you get a chance to ask him

No problem Paul, about to phone him now.

I know the last couple of times I've spoken to Ian, he thought there was a reasonable chance of height rises over Scandinavia, although not guaranteed. 

I noticed when I looked at the Forecast Models that go out to that kind of range this morning, after tentative suggestions of height rises in the last few days, they seemed to have lost their appetite for that scenario today.

Thanks again for your insightful input over the past few days, as per normal.

I'll report back soon.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

4 hours ago, CanadianCoops said:

Last few pics from me. Some show how clear the main roads are now  (though back roads are very tricky) and a few cars abandoned.

Also in one of the pics you can just make out the green grass down the hill. Elevation obviously key. 

Heres hoping we get something this month that isn’t marginal so everyone can enjoy the snow ❄️ 

D3EE1EC2-7822-41B1-BEA7-5489784B0FCD.jpeg

7B83E212-DD09-40F1-B645-103C6CEA6431.jpeg

48B8B02F-AA37-44DB-936A-94C9F1B32080.jpeg

870C15F8-B2E5-467C-B931-05A3411D5B60.jpeg

1DB43A15-B31D-472A-A1AB-03AFD4D031C6.jpeg

AA6ED2A1-2717-4FB3-9039-C42DAF9FD719.jpeg

2956C44F-0FC8-43AC-852F-925E3389C1B1.png

635D8173-02F2-4623-81A3-AF75D427E544.png

EAD8D206-3BE3-46BD-8793-CAB6732053BB.jpeg

27ED2BCA-7B63-450F-990A-2BE0EE8AB0AA.jpeg

06F2ADD6-4E33-47CE-8179-C6771836047D.jpeg

Was this bluebell hill earlier today ?

1 hour ago, LightningLover said:

Battle is covered!

So was Ninfield! Thawing now though. Cannot believe how local it was!

Photo of the village church and a little robin that came to visit the snowman I made!!

GEDC0631.JPG

GEDC0650.JPG

GEDC0662.JPG

13 minutes ago, Binsey72 said:

Was this bluebell hill earlier today ?

Hi - yes it was first thing this morning 😁❄️

Edited by CanadianCoops

@Paul Sherman @TomSE12 That is my thinking too - scandi high beginning to show its hand as we progress through Feb - and also great point Paul I have stopped posting in the model / chat thread ATM mainly due to the bombardment of posts that lean toward "winters over" or slating the background signals which the likes of Catacol, GP etc spend a lot of time and effort researching to share their thoughts with us about the possible effects and as I have mentioned earlier this winter we have seen it happen before where things have changed quickly in the space of a few weeks where it has went from pretty standard UK weather to a cold spell - 2010 - 2018 etc so still time for this to happen again this year. 🙂

some hints within the ensembles with higher pressure over scandi - expecting this signal to grow over the next 1- 2 weeks

gensnh-1-1-276.thumb.png.cd97ae984c80b8567cfa1944e6608e87.png gensnh-3-1-384.thumb.png.f1065f9572e8d11a7afe6ce25e766fc8.png gensnh-16-1-336.thumb.png.320232efb55fccb014f8a07917e1afe1.png gensnh-16-1-360.thumb.png.464c9b911994c9fdec375621a8cd6b70.png gensnh-16-1-384.thumb.png.ca6e723534d222866b609ed6bd8e4bbe.png  

ps love the snow pics in here 😀  :drinks:

7 minutes ago, CanadianCoops said:

Hi - yes it was first thing before the thaw set it. 😁❄️

Ah noooo

Guessing its not worth me coming up tomorrow then, wont be much left to photograph after the expected -6c tonight

Shame as was going to grab a pub lunch as well seeing as the little uns game has been called off tomorrow morning

Should be some nice Rime Frost at least

Just now, Paul Sherman said:

Ah noooo

Guessing its not worth me coming up tomorrow then, wont be much left to photograph after the expected -6c tonight

Shame as was going to grab a pub lunch as well seeing as the little uns game has been called off tomorrow morning

Lol funny as I just edited it as although the thaws started there’s still good amounts up here. 

23 minutes ago, CanadianCoops said:

Hi - yes it was first thing this morning 😁❄️

We were up there from about 9 45 couldn’t believe how much was there !

36 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Ah noooo

Actually just came back round to sledging place (highest point) and snow pretty much all gone from the trees and so many people here sledging not sure it’s worth it 

Edited by CanadianCoops

Road from Dorking to Coldharbour a real winter wonderland this afternoon. Pleasantly surprised to see so much snow on the trees:

8B166EC5-A7FD-4A22-8E39-E4C647BAC6B7.png

C15C6EEC-9DB9-4DA3-88DD-4B37D34D4676.png

FD4345C7-5349-4E8D-9969-97F43C1A48D7.png

Edited by surrey snowboy

Who was saying Norwich doesn't get snow anymore 😂 More snow than anywhere else today! I'd swap my locations snow for theres anyday atleast you get snow showers from more wind directions- Northerlies are naff here

Screenshot_20190202-155636_NW Snow Radar.jpg

2 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Who was saying Norwich doesn't get snow anymore 😂 More snow than anywhere else today! I'd swap my locations snow for theres anyday atleast you get snow showers from more wind directions- Northerlies are naff here

Screenshot_20190202-155636_NW Snow Radar.jpg

exactly what i was going to say 🤣 i think i've caught the least snow showers out of anywhere else in norfolk today but i still got two dustings with another one possibly in the next half hour, we may be unlucky when it comes to frontal snow here but we definitely aren't unlucky when it comes to shower activity!

Cheers Coops 

Yh will get up early and get some Pics over this side 

Pub lunch is still on though 😊😁

2 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Cheers Coops 

Yh will get up early and get some Pics over this side 

Pub lunch is still on though 😊😁

You can never go wrong with a pub lunch. Snow or no snow 😁👍

6 hours ago, jethro said:

Thank you. I'm not sure how much in the end, I stopped measuring when it got to 28cm as although still snowing heavily, the weight was compacting the snow and it stopped getting any deeper on the table. There was a bit of a thaw late afternoon but followed by a harsh overnight frost means we've still got deep cover here. Just been out in the garden to play with the dogs/take a few pics, table still has 22cm of cover. Looks beautiful with the sun and clear blue sky, dripping lots in the sunshine though.

Absolutely stunning photos Jethro. I'll be phoning my mother in Westfield/Radstock tomorrow, so I imagine her garden will be looking much the same. I was joking with her on Thursday night about making sure she had provisions in; looks like we were a bit premature with not taking it too seriously!

12 minutes ago, Reefseeker said:

Absolutely stunning photos Jethro. I'll be phoning my mother in Westfield/Radstock tomorrow, so I imagine her garden will be looking much the same. I was joking with her on Thursday night about making sure she had provisions in; looks like we were a bit premature with not taking it too seriously!

Thank you. Radstock didn't get as much as we did, I'm probably 250ft higher than there, no doubt there will still be good cover there tomorrow, it's all frozen solid now. Roads should be fine there but as soon as you venture off down lanes you're into compacted snow and ice.

1 hour ago, surrey snowboy said:

Road from Dorking to Coldharbour a real winter wonderland this afternoon. Pleasantly surprised to see so much snow on the trees:

8B166EC5-A7FD-4A22-8E39-E4C647BAC6B7.png

C15C6EEC-9DB9-4DA3-88DD-4B37D34D4676.png

FD4345C7-5349-4E8D-9969-97F43C1A48D7.png

It really was amazing today on the roads around Holmbury... And an awesome sunset from outside the Parrot in Forest Green, which was below the snowline!!

3DEE8AD3-1373-48AF-92D4-6CDB43981491.jpeg

2436B0F4-8C40-4023-910B-DC751EF36BD5.jpeg

ED688BEA-3B38-4A9C-A3A6-16EE22C2BF96.jpeg

Edited by John Stevens

I think the real MVP of the last 24hrs have been the emergency services, salvation army and locals working together to help the vulnerable and clearing over 100 trees that fell in Walderslade that blocked the main road in and out and left many stranded.

Warms my cold dead heart, it does.

38 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I think the real MVP of the last 24hrs have been the emergency services, salvation army and locals working together to help the vulnerable and clearing over 100 trees that fell in Walderslade that blocked the main road in and out and left many stranded.

Warms my cold dead heart, it does.

Made national headlines it did. Here’s another pic from there. Crazy. I drove through there at about 5:30/6 just before the worst of it. I do love the community around here for that.

07C86888-BB87-4A39-B58D-BBEB1B707B9C.png

Edited by CanadianCoops