Sign in to follow this  
Blessed Weather

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

9 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Can hear significant melt here and several roads still closed due to fallen trees. What a night!

My sister in law lives in Walderslade and is moaning because she hates snow 😒 but she did tell me a Mum and baby have been killed in their car due to a fallen tree?! Assume heavy weight of snow?

7 hours ago, John Stevens said:

Still snowing heavily here in the Surrey Hills... Good night all... Stay safe

20mins up the A24 here in Ashtead and barely a dusting!!! Going to attempt getting up Boxhill this morning to see if there's more!!xx

3 minutes ago, weathergeek said:

My sister in law lives in Walderslade and is moaning because she hates snow 😒 but she did tell me a Mum and baby have been killed in their car due to a fallen tree?! Assume heavy weight of snow?

No, that wasn't true, just a nasty rumour started by someone. The people in the car under the tree were absolutely fine, just shaken.

3 minutes ago, Lauren said:

No, that wasn't true, just a nasty rumour started by someone. The people in the car under the tree were absolutely fine, just shaken.

Glad to hear it!!! Thanks for letting me know!!xx

6 minutes ago, weathergeek said:

If she hates snow then she will love this morning's model output,  dire is how they are describing it in the MOD thread, they think winter is over

18 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

fallen trees😨

They were trees that were looking a bit dodgy anyway and the weight from the snow has brought about a dozen down. One of them landed on a car, but passengers fine. Roads are closed whilst the fire brigade deal with the trees.

Just now, Lauren said:

They were trees that were looking a bit dodgy anyway and the weight from the snow has brought about a dozen down. One of them landed on a car, but passengers fine. Roads are closed whilst the fire brigade deal with the trees.

how much snow fell? Had half a cm here

Managed a light sprinkling here last night from the North Sea showers, to my surprise. Must have been quite a heavy one as all paths and minor roads covered with a light sprinkling m. Doesn’t quite make up for the disappointment of the last few days but is nice to see! 

13 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Final depth here ~ 6-7cm pretty good 🚀❄️

3FB16249-2F3D-4D82-AD0A-53991992CB4A.thumb.jpeg.9a35c78cadb013b44e8365a98fa0be73.jpeg

Elevation makes all the difference.

0cm here even though precipitation was reasonably heavy in the early hours (a slushy dusting on a few cars and the grass)

0.8C

Edited by mulzy

7 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

how much snow fell? Had half a cm here

Couple of inches I'd say, maybe even more.

Let’s all breath , why an earth the people In the model thread still wanting a mega freeze.? I just don’t get it they have hardly mentioned what’s happened in the last few days . I’m ready to really annoy them and tell them I’m looking for spring like weather..... roll on the warmth!

A quick round up of how the unforecast snowfall effected my neck of the woods on Friday evening.

Friday night's snow caused significant disruption over the Eastern part of East Sussex.

Notable dramas include.

A21 between Robertsbridge and Hastings.

Abandoned cars and several R.T.A between 1900 and Midnight,reports of people stuck in gridlock for hours.

A259 coast road between Seaford and Eastbourne, police had to close the entire stretch due to  a jackknifed HGV and numerous cars and vans in hedges and ditches.

Nothing of note over in Brighton, we had our fun on Thursday night.

24 minutes ago, Matty88 said:

Managed a light sprinkling here last night from the North Sea showers, to my surprise. Must have been quite a heavy one as all paths and minor roads covered with a light sprinkling m. Doesn’t quite make up for the disappointment of the last few days but is nice to see! 

I know the feeling.  I am in Peterborough and we had the same - there are still a few showers coming through, but quite hit and miss.

Edited by On the rocks

I wouldn't be adverse to a decent mild spell since it looks like the cold synoptically are gone, may as well go mild as we can to reduce gas bills, etc.

Anyway before that a cold ole day to come, then tonight under snow cover probably going down to -8/9c, going yo be really bitter!

Down here it's -0.7c so the cover should be frozen which will help preserve it somewhat during the day once it warms up.

Just about to have a walk in it, something you can't beat!

Summising this spell for SE Essex and the Winter so Far

Coverings Dec 1st to Feb 1st is Zero

Falling Snow at a rate of over 5/10 is Zero

Sleet Days is 3

An awful awful winter down here and no chance of low temps tonight as we only have grass cover and not Ice.

I will say though that I did see decent snow in Billericay around 10 days ago, although its 15 miles away it is far away enough from the English Riviera Thames Estuary and its Tepid Bath

Roll on Spring I say!

Edited by Paul Sherman

That is really impressive, might come up tomorrow with the other half, any good pubs around there for Sunday Lunch ? 

Just wanted to say I'll be phoning local Weatherman, Ian Currie, a little later.

I want to thank him again for kindly agreeing to me, reproducing some very wintry photos, from his Kent and Surrey County Weather Books. I'll also ask him his latest thoughts on how he sees the rest of February, shaping up.

Just wanted to mention the amazing deal Mr.Currie has offered, for his Kent and Surrey Weather Books.

A payment of £11 will get you one of the above books plus Ian will "throw in" an edition of one of his Quarterly Magazines, Weather Eye, it also includes, postage and packing. It really is an amazing offer and a must read for those members who live in the above Counties. 

I know Ian has a few copies of the Kent and Surrey, editions. I don't think he has any copies of the Sussex editions, left sadly. These books are now out of print. He also co-wrote versions for BERKS, BUCKS, DORSET,ESSEX, HANTS and NORFOLK/SUFFOLK (combined). I'll find out from Ian today, what versions and how many copies, he has left.

I know of four Members who have expressed an interest in obtaining, one of these copies.

I'll post up the link to Mr.Currie's website (Frosted Earth):

http://www.frostedearth.co.uk/

Please drop Ian a line, you'll find his email details , on that link. He is a very affable guy and has been very forthcoming with his views.

Feel free to mention my name Tom (Meyers) and that you're a member of the Netweather Forum. Just want to emphasise again, I receive no Financial incentive from Mr.Currie, for plugging his books. I now class Ian as a good friend and it was his Kent County Weather Book that further increased my interest in Meteorology, when I found it lurking in WH.Smiths, in Bromley. I really do feel that they are a must read for any local weather enthusiast, from those Counties!!

You've seen the photos, now get the books!!

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

After a flop yesterday. I can confirm that it’s actually snowing here in Waltham abbey!

27 minutes ago, slater said:

. roll on the warmth!

100% with you. 

Back home very little snow, but a bit of snow here this morning to the south of Croydon at a friends place higher up above 100m in Sanderstead

07BDAEFA-A343-49D0-B311-FAFFDA94F73A.thumb.jpeg.1c4496133a7aad4c0a3e014b4f636ffa.jpeg2ECBD0D3-68D5-46A0-A312-8D36011B8492.thumb.jpeg.88bb0236b5f31c8c0d58d600cc710cf4.jpeg

55 minutes ago, weathergeek said:

20mins up the A24 here in Ashtead and barely a dusting!!! Going to attempt getting up Boxhill this morning to see if there's more!!xx

Reckon Newlands Corner might be even better?

Beautiful or of the window this morning

FDE5655B-4C31-44B2-B916-9BB7EE01BCC9.jpeg