Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
8 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

He’s home thank goodness :yahoo:but I still feel very aware of the people who are stuck. 

Its snowing very hard here, it’s not laying at all, I think all the rain we’ve had has helped stop that, it’s settling on cars and roofs though.  Does anyone happen to have the dew point for Rye, I can’t seem to find a accurate one or an accurate temperature. What do I need to do to get the snow to lay??? 

You need 0C for snow to settle, ideally dew point of 0C or below for snow to fall. Snow can fall with temperatures a couple of degrees above 0C, so long as DP is 0C.

Temps can be seen here, looks like you around 2C: http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/temperatures.php?region=uk

dew point here, again 2C so too high http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/point-de-rosee.php?region=uk

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
2 minutes ago, Nqp15hhu said:

I think the truth is that Norwich is poorly located for snowfall.

1. Not far from the coast.

2. Juts out past the rest of Britain.

3. Surrounded by sea to the North and East.

4. Flat land.

How do you get on with Dutch Imports? Rare?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
10 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

He’s home thank goodness :yahoo:but I still feel very aware of the people who are stuck. 

Its snowing very hard here, it’s not laying at all, I think all the rain we’ve had has helped stop that, it’s settling on cars and roofs though.  Does anyone happen to have the dew point for Rye, I can’t seem to find a accurate one or an accurate temperature. What do I need to do to get the snow to lay??? 

Just google current dew points,I use the 1st site that comes up,its at freezing at the moment

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow all the way

What an evening! Totally unexpected.... one minute I’m reading all your reports of snow thinking, well that’s not happening here! Chucking it down with rain, checked the met forecast, they said rain too....

Then out of bloody nowhere....  it’s snowing and laying!  At that point decided to buoycot net weather, in case it would jinx me!  All the time I hang on to every post and believe  nothing happens!

It’s melting now judging by the sound of a rain forest.... but I’ll never forget that.....and nobody saw that coming, just goes to show......

22D3B5A9-34A4-4D15-9EDD-E49BE1EFD445.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring
4 minutes ago, HighPressure said:

Yep, proper snow here on the Downs above Sevenoaks, Christmas card scene just a month and a bit late 

Yep its proper coming down now, the a25 outside my place has had a wet shine to it all night but now can see snow settling on it 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
1 minute ago, Biensie said:

What an evening! Totally unexpected.... one minute I’m reading all your reports of snow thinking, well that’s not happening here! Chucking it down with rain, checked the met forecast, they said rain too....

Then out of bloody nowhere....  it’s snowing and laying!  At that point decided to buoycot net weather, in case it would jinx me!  All the time I hang on to every post and believe  nothing happens!

It’s melting now judging by the sound of a rain forest.... but I’ll never forget that.....and nobody saw that coming, just goes to show......

22D3B5A9-34A4-4D15-9EDD-E49BE1EFD445.jpeg

That’s a beautiful picture, 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

How do you get on with Dutch Imports? Rare?

We do best with cold Easterlies and North-Easterlies. This set up is too mild.

Edited by Nqp15hhu
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Family been stuck on the A21 for the past 3 hours. Seen on twitter that some have not moved an inch for 5 hours or more, not nice! 
Almost 6cm in Hawkhurst, Kent, but a slow melt has commenced since the snow has turned lighter. 

Highways England reporting that a number of trees have also fallen down along the A21 from the weight of snow 

Edited by <<Ryan>>
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Really thought that it was going to be second night of disappointment here in locksbottom but since about 9.45 snow has started to settle and probably have 1.5cms now.Now I know that is a pretty feeble effort compared to some amazing totals on this thread today but on what has been a vile day wi5h rain/sleet on and off all day and with the ground soaking it disposes of the myth that snow can’t settle on wet ground.

for those in EA DONT GIVE UP HOPE after the first shower was rain.I feel as the night goes on there is a fair chance that showers will turn to snow.Fingers crossed for you.

snow seems to be winding down here now and on that note I bid you all a good night❄️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
5 minutes ago, KenningtonKitty said:

Snowboarding in Hawkhurst Kent being towed by a car - seen it all now This is the main A road to Rye and Camber! 

It's Marty in Back to the Future

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

11 minutes ago, Nick F said:

You need 0C for snow to settle, ideally dew point of 0C or below for snow to fall. Snow can fall with temperatures a couple of degrees above 0C, so long as DP is 0C.

Temps can be seen here, looks like you around 2C: http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/temperatures.php?region=uk

dew point here, again 2C so too high http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/point-de-rosee.php?region=uk

Thank you @Nick F that’s really helpful, do you think that that temperature might drop away over night?? 

P.s do you think this bubble of snow is even moving at all it seems very slow on the radar 

Posted

Just starting to get a little lighter now, impressed with how this has stuck around this evening. No great totals, 0.5cm at most but good fun considering it was a surprise. Ended up with slightly more than yesterday’s main event I reckon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Final falls of snow I think are coming through now for me .

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

Thank you @Nick F that’s really helpful, do you think that that temperature might drop away over night?? 

P.s do you think this bubble of snow is even moving at all it seems very slow on the radar 

Don’t think temps will fall much unless skies clear from the north, snow is very slow-moving but will all eventually sink south in early hours followed by wintry showers from the north.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring

Its weather, stop throwing digs around at each other. Life is far too short to be arguing over the weather 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Im not offended at all, its just fairly well known that the area in and around Norwich gets regular winter showers off the N sea

Well there are showers coming in off the North Sea now and they are falling as rain (at 1c), the same thing happened on sunday night.

The map highlights North Essex as an area of greater 'days of sleet/snow falling', as I had predicted myself, a moment ago.

Edited by Nqp15hhu

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
1 minute ago, Nqp15hhu said:

Well there are showers coming in off the North Sea now and they are falling as rain (at 1c), the same thing happened on sunday night.

The map highlights North Essex as an area of greater 'days of sleet/snow falling', as I said.

Dew points are above freezing 

Posted

Well. That was not expected! I didn't get much but it was good to see others doing well. On a serious note, this has made me realise how important it is to keep an emergency stash in your car. Even a blanket and torch etc. Sounds obvious, but most of us wouldn't expect to be caught out like some have especially in the SW.  

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

sorry to disagree, but Norwich quite regularly, over the years, gets lots of snow due to its location - fav for lots of showers off the N sea

I think the other issue is there really has been a dearth of decent northerlies in the last 3-4 years, something which usually nails Norwich. I mean I'm struggling to recall one decent northerly (indeed, even a toppler northerly like we used to get a lot from 2003-2008). Several decent easterlies, now a good NW and several battleground set-ups. But very few northerlies.

So he may be right to question this location because he probably hasn't seen a half decent northerly.

I remember living in Ockendon in Thurrock and getting some great looking convection from the cells that came through from Norfolk. By the time they got here they were pretty whispy, but I remember looking at them and thinking they looked great, and in the clear winters day a northerly brings inland, you can see for many miles upwind.

• Like 1