Sign in to follow this  
Blessed Weather

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

16 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

That's an odd thing to call your mum...What's wrong with 'mum'?

Ed you’re difficult to understand at the best of times... 😄 

One of the strangest events I have ever known

You have driving rain at 60masl in a place that usually does well when the Dewpoint is Negative and a Northerly Offshore Flow

You have Rochester which is pretty much due south and lower in elevation with 4cm

Biggin Hill with next to nothing, but Detling and Bluebell Hill Impassable

12 miles from here you have Langdon Hills resembling a Ski Resort

Some very strange features in the Mid and Upper Levels going on here

I was going to take the A249 over $etling Hill to get to the M20 but so glad I didn’t. I would think large chunks of Kent are getting pretty bad now on the roads so if you have to drive take a blanket etc just in case. All sounds a bit dramatic for us in the UK but it’s no joke breaking down or stuck in traffic in these conditions.

3 minutes ago, snowking said:

Of course typically just as the heavier stuff starts moving south it dies out - back to lighter stuff again here 

I reckon not over yet just a wobble

7 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Yay, it’s snowing in RP and my Beamer has got 0.1mm of slush on it!

0.6C

That’s the stuff I was under in chelsea , slow moving to say the least , meanwhile I’m Surbiton it’s light snow again after 5 mins of heavier stuff .

Edited by Mark wheeler

Just now, Paul Sherman said:

One of the strangest events I have ever known

You have driving rain at 60masl in a place that usually does well when the Dewpoint is Negative and a Northerly Offshore Flow

You have Rochester which is pretty much due south and lower in elevation with 4cm

Biggin Hill with next to nothing, but Detling and Bluebell Hill Impassable

12 miles from here you have Langdon Hills resembling a Ski Resort

Some very strange features in the Mid and Upper Levels going on here

I can’t believe it to be honest

when Croydon and Purley are marginal I get bucket loads 

tonight Nish

very weird

5 minutes ago, smarklew said:

It’s been snowing for three hours in crowborough, looks heavy and promising but it’s not really settling. Very frustrating! 

Same here now: snow but not settling. You'll be fine up there as it looks from the radar as though it'll get heavier later. You always get more than us... was sliding all over the place when I took my daughter to Beacon on Weds morning!

8 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

It’s been snowing here in Bexhill And I didn’t even realise!!!!! Big fat flakes too!!

Ditto here in Hastings. I thought it was still raining !

Hoping when it all drops south maybe then  the tide will turn

It won't last much longer, but it's been welcome.

And bonus - she said 'no way will it settle on the soaking wet roads'... so she's making breakfast tomorrow. For the win! 

1 minute ago, Mark said:

It won't last much longer, but it's been welcome.

And bonus - she said 'no way will it settle on the soaking wet roads'... so she's making breakfast tomorrow. For the win! 

That old wives Tale 

14 minutes ago, Darkcloud said:

Thanks Nick, really appreciate your response. Good to know there's hope yet! Temp 0.6 now so am guessing anything that falls without intensity will soon melt but nice to see it falling.

Can I ask what are your thoughts on a potential N'Easterly or Easterly later in Feb?

Yeah, think it could be a few weeks until we get a chance for the pattern to change after a 'warm' up through next week, still the reversal working down from the troposphere into the stratosphere in fits and starts, thought this may trigger the Siberian High to back west across Scandinavia later next week, but the models and their ensembles seem to have lost the appetite for that for now, the MJO may help shake up the pattern a bit from mid-month along with help of the Siberian high, so certainly not ruling out the Ely or NEly cold actually turning up after hunting it all winter, but probably towards end of this month.

Edited by Nick F

On off sleet to snow but not sticking at all and never quite heavy enough besides the brief spell earlier. 

Its all so random.

31 minutes ago, FlightlessWings said:

How’s Holmbury SM looking? Left Dorking just as it started settling earlier and have been stressing about packing for the -20 and below temps in the Canadian Rockies and having nowhere near enough space in my suitcase! 

Still tanking down here, that's 7 solid hours!! Looking very pretty!! As promised, following a thrilling rugby match, @DAVE ALLEN and @kold weather here's some pics. Taken ten mins ago.. This had significant built up since this afternoon when it was all melting

3DEAA389-ED40-4C51-8F41-BAAEE8DAEC8F.jpeg

9D93F83E-C404-4964-900B-90E2470C77DE.jpeg

20C43935-8101-474D-BBC0-BCB7195F344F.jpeg

Just now, rubble79 said:

On off sleet to snow but not sticking at all and never quite heavy enough besides the brief spell earlier. 

Its all so random.

Yep 

complete pants mate

Earlier it was coming down like nuts and settled in seconds

since then nada

so crap

8 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Ed you’re difficult to understand at the best of times... 😄 

That's because he's a toff..🙊

Looks like parts of the North east have had some beefy snow showers this evening givin* them some good accumulations after dipping in their 5hread.Looking at radar I wouldn’t be surprised to see parts of EA Getting in the action either overnight with some accumulation possible.We need to enjoy the next couple days which should keep the cold weather.From Monday onwards it looks less cold for probably 5 days plus.After that who knows!!Its been a strange winter which has shown so much promise but up until this last week delivered so little.Would love another cold spell(5-7 days) befor3 February is out.

enjoy the snow over the weekend those 5hat have it👍❄️☃️

finally get some snow and the whole system decides its gonna pick up pace and speed through lol

And now the showers are starting to pack in to the Wash and East Anglia 

Well it's great to see the MetOffice not forcast this, just proves mother nature can surprise at anytime

Intensity picking up again🙂

2 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

That's because he's a toff..🙊

I'll 'ave you know that I, and my 'ole family, all lived in a shoe box, under the stairs, until I was 43!:help: