Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Blessed Weather

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, coram said:

Huge fluffy snowflakes have been coming down moderately/heavily for the last hour just ENE of Basingstoke. Have had 3-4" already with no sign of a let up. Jack-knifed lorries and roads blocked all around. Keep it coming.

Whole area looks in chaos. Gaps in flow on google traffic show that several roads are now blocked. Lots of accidents reported as well.

Traffic010220191708.thumb.png.10ba5fcf9781def8ce3582e67d4e02b8.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flakes appearing here again in Tonbridge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The band of interest for London is currently working its way wnw from the Kent area.

Thats the blob Steve is hoping to pass over the New Ash Green ski centre ! 😎

 

Edited by nick sussex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

M3 at stand still near hook !! Very heavy snowfall… didn’t see this coming 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Northern band is decaying, next band is taking over which arched from Winchester to Basingstoke and up through Wokingham. That should decay in 30-45 minutes and the band currently and Guildford will take over, then a new band should crop up, and the process repeats broadly for the next 3-5hrs until it starts to wind down as it ejects to the SE/SSE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snowing consistently here for a while now. Settling on minor roads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MONKEYJAM said:

M3 at stand still near hook !! Very heavy snowfall… didn’t see this coming 

Never seen so many accident symbols in one area on Google Maps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

Whole area looks in chaos. Gaps in flow on google traffic show that several roads are now blocked. Lots of accidents reported as well.

Traffic010220191708.thumb.png.10ba5fcf9781def8ce3582e67d4e02b8.png

The whole region has turned orange and red now. A3 is getting heavier as well as rush hour starts and the snow continues to build up.

Basingstoke is a utter mess though!

Love watching this, almost as good as watching the radar!! Thanks Whitefox!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally starting to see some proper flakes and temperature dropped to 0.7 in RG7. Nowhere near intense enough to settle though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Northern band is decaying, next band is taking over which arched from Winchester to Basingstoke and up through Wokingham. That should decay in 30-45 minutes and the band currently and Guildford will take over, then a new band should crop up, and the process repeats broadly for the next 3-5hrs until it starts to wind down as it ejects to the SE/SSE.

What about the band over Kent that Nick Sussex has just referred to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Northern band is decaying, next band is taking over which arched from Winchester to Basingstoke and up through Wokingham. That should decay in 30-45 minutes and the band currently and Guildford will take over, then a new band should crop up, and the process repeats broadly for the next 3-5hrs until it starts to wind down as it ejects to the SE/SSE.

Incredible stuff. My son has just had to abandon his car a mile or so from home. All roads blocked around the Odiham/North Warnborough (North-east Hampshire) area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kold weather said:

The whole region has turned orange and red now. A3 is getting heavier as well as rush hour starts and the snow continues to build up.

Basingstoke is a utter mess though!

Love watching this, almost as good as watching the radar!! Thanks Whitefox!

My pleasure. Even when there's nothing near me I'll often get a fix by looking at google maps and then traffic cameras to see what it's like. The lengths I go to to get a s now fix!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sharpedge said:

What about the band over Kent that Nick Sussex has just referred to?

Your on the wrong side of the low and its pulling in some slightly milder air around it, so very much altitude dependent, as wel as intensity dependent. It is evening time so temperatures should slowly come down naturally, but you want the LP to weaken and open up to stop that general flow from the channel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

The whole region has turned orange and red now. A3 is getting heavier as well as rush hour starts and the snow continues to build up.

Basingstoke is a utter mess though!

Love watching this, almost as good as watching the radar!! Thanks Whitefox!

We have just got to Basingstoke station and trees have now falling down on the line, it’s chaos out there 🙈

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snowing in Medway. About a 5 on the Murr scale. Would certainly be laying nicely if the ground were dry.

I must say BBC forecasts have been bang on for me recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, coram said:

Incredible stuff. My son has just had to abandon his car a mile or so from home. All roads blocked around the Odiham/North Warnborough (North-east Hampshire) area.

I'm only on the edge of that area and its really coming down, it must be at least twice as bad where you are right in the middle of it!! All tyre tracks have gone now. Probably around 2cms at the moment (definitely more than last night now!) and the great thing is when it freezes early tomorrow morning its not going to be in a rush to go.

Saturday night could well match Wednesday night here for temperatures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lewis028 said:

We have just got to Basingstoke station and trees have now falling down on the line, it’s chaos out there 🙈

I used to work in the Basingstoke area, know it quite well, I bet that main road into the town center from the M3 is a nightmare right now!

Definitely needed a small amber zone I feel...

Edited by kold weather

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

I used to work in the Basingstoke area, know it quite well, I bet that main road into the town center from the M3 is a nightmare right now!

The A33 is stationary about halfway from Reading to Basingstoke now. I've a feeling people are going to be trapped for a number of hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unbelievable best snow since the beast last year 

00A0F542-8F80-453C-ABE6-3398AF743654.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bluebell Hill is getting pretty bad

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back edge is still only in the Swindon area, though that probably will fragment away from now on, besides looks like they have done plenty well over the last 24hrs!!! Hampshire, eventusally SW Surrey and W.Sussex probably in for an other 3-5hrs of snow at varying intensities. Sometimes it will be light, other times heavy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I'm only on the edge of that area and its really coming down, it must be at least twice as bad where you are right in the middle of it!! All tyre tracks have gone now. Probably around 2cms at the moment (definitely more than last night now!) and the great thing is when it freezes early tomorrow morning its not going to be in a rush to go.

Saturday night could well match Wednesday night here for temperatures.

Great to hear you are now getting your longed for snowfall. Let's hope it turns into a dumping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can confirm as I’m walking in it - drizzly cold rain in Reigate 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...