Sign in to follow this  
Blessed Weather

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Hmm! Interesting .

The latest radar returns point to the more bullish models re rain turning back to snow  and edging se being more likely .

Yes, PPN remains in situ for now with occasional pulses pushing from east to west. At some point it will move SE a you would think. I suspect that developing ridge from west will start to kill PPN so it needs to get its (ice) skates on!

14 minutes ago, pinball wizard said:

Understandable, I volunteer at a special needs school and know they can have sensitivities to things like that. That said, i'm not overly keen on snow falling on my face either, love to watch it falling and love to go outside in it once it's stopped though 😛

My son in particular really struggles. Especially after Feb last year we went out and the snow started up again and felt like hail pellets stinging your face... so now he thinks snow will hurt. Bless him. 

Luckily though with it looking likely to continue this afternoon and hopefully little chance of thawing overnight they get to play in it tomorrow 

1 minute ago, Mark wheeler said:

Turning back to snow here in chelsea 

Signs that it might be turning sleety in the west end but need a lot more intensity 

Just now, WhiteFox said:

Yes, PPN remains in situ for now with occasional pulses pushing from east to west. At some point it will move SE a you would think. I suspect that developing ridge from west will start to kill PPN so it needs to get its (ice) skates on!

Looking at the latest radar , one pulse is moving north to the east of London , the other moving south over more central south areas with a connection between both to the north of London. The best match for that is the GFS Para at 1 pm.

Medway and most of Kent is a rain fest. I never knew I was the jealous type, but all that pink on the radar is bringing me to tears. 

Bbc TV (Phil Avery is back btw) weather just now said there could be 1-3cms from greater London down to North Hampshire this afternoon and evening??! 

I've lost track of what's going on. 

15 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

My daughter has ASD so I understand where you're coming from. Still, she enjoys looking at it and finds the shape of the snowflakes fascinating!

My ASD son is a sensory seeker and loves the stuff as much as his old man.

4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Signs that it might be turning sleety in the west end but need a lot more intensity 

Yeah back to sleet again 

4 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Bbc TV (Phil Avery is back btw) weather just now said there could be 1-3cms from greater London down to North Hampshire this afternoon and evening??! 

This whole thing has not gone to plan.. Always expect suprises! 

Just been driving up the A3 towards London. What a miserable day! I don't even know what's falling from the sky now

Sleet or rain.cant make it's mind up.

5 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

It'll no doubt miss me again ! 😂

The mod thread is a bit of a mess at the moment. Almost 50/50 split between northern block and an easterly against the jet winning and us getting an early spring. 

30 minutes ago, Johnp said:

I have to question this guys knowledge.  Doesn't the MJO only go up to phase 8?

It sure does 👍, but Phase 9 has been used in the past back in 2008

Just took the dog for a walk in the hills around north Hampshire having driven around the area beforehand.  3-4" of snow everywhere with very little melt and a temperature of 1C. I had no idea how bad the conditions were until I got home and watched the BBC news. The presenters, all of whom were obviously at work, were advising people in the area not to venture out because of the horrendous conditions. 

Presumably their jobs are much more important than ours. 

3 minutes ago, throwoff said:

The mod thread is a bit of a mess at the moment. Almost 50/50 split between northern block and an easterly against the jet winning and us getting an early spring. 

Either option works for me, would prefer proper cold but if not some warmth would be better than the cold damp sleety conditions being experienced at the moment!

Turning back to Sleet here now after rain since dawn. Temp 2.9C DP 0.7

@nick sussex would be nice for para and hirlam to be right.. Be a good surprise

Looking south of Reading it looks to fainlly be on the move.. 

21 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

The same Phil who said it was snowing in the south east and moving towards London this morning? When infact  he was sitting in the closet not looking out the window to the heavy rain that was falling? 

Wet snow again in NE London. 

1 minute ago, Neilsouth said:

The same Phil who said it was snowing in the south east and moving towards London this morning? When infact  he was sitting in the closet not looking out the window to the heavy rain that was falling? 

The very one! 🙂

6 hours ago, jasonuk said:

1407623459_oldsnow.thumb.jpg.c2bd97976235bcda949495bf8f0329c4.jpg

Well waking up and looking outside to see it raining, what little snow we had is long gone.  I think the last time it snowed properly in Eastbourne was when i took this photo  😄
Enjoy yourselves the lucky ones out there!

Another time traveler from 1897 !🤣

I will have to find a time traveler from about 223bc, the last heavy snowfall in Erith was around the time of last Ice Age.😡

7 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

Wasn’t that Peter Gibbs?

anyway, lunchtime dp’s reveal a large area where precip will need to be pretty heavy to be likely to lead to settling snow - that marginal area should shrink back se as the afternoon progresses but it makes some of the snowy forecasts for the next couple hours a bit questionable 

CF13EEE7-8D71-41A1-9C0A-42221F108272.thumb.jpeg.4d0926325b005fbe681398d7b6028441.jpeg

Edited by bluearmy

1 minute ago, snowray said:

Another time traveler from 1897 !🤣

I will have to find a time traveler from about 223bc, the last heavy snowfall in Erith was around the time of last Ice Age.😡

Don't worry, mate - the next Ice-Age is due along, any minute!😁