Sign in to follow this  
Blessed Weather

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

And now snowing in Tonbridge

There have been some real winners overnight, however, as much as I bit the excitement yesterday this has just turned into another occasion when a non-easterly event has been disappointing for Medway.

Sadly I can't see anything in the short term that looks like a change, but I hold onto the fact that we had a week of time off due to snow last year in the first week of March!

I am off to the mod thread to hunt Easterlies!

17 minutes ago, Drifter said:

I'm pretty sure Kold would have ended up with are least 1cm.

When's he doing his naked dash?

I think we have just climbed over 1cm, weve got some melting so it maybe a close run thing. Probably was over 1cm at the end of that weaker band at 3am! 

Definitely better than feared, that moderate back end finally moistened up the atmosphere, upto that point everything died around this area. Just a shame that first front set up just to the north and I was in a major subsidence zone.

The. The 2nd bad luck was a little secondary low spun off into Hampshire which forced the front yo Arch taking us out of the zone. Luckily it died quickly and the back edge refilled again as a new low took over in the channel.

Edited by kold weather

38 minutes ago, Jemma Croton said:

Whoever called it being good for Swindon was right on the money. Can’t find a ruler to measure...

22D02796-359D-4EB3-B1D1-823578D37B28.jpeg

That looks awesome. Getting on for 10cm at a guess. Enjoy.

48 minutes ago, warrenb said:

Pouring with rain in Tonbridge now.

We both need a decent easterly warren...

Sick to death of marginal rubbish.

3 minutes ago, warrenb said:

And now snowing in Tonbridge

Cold rain, sleet & snow mix

It's got to be the worst possible type of weather!

A Lovely snowy morning in St Albans with around 4/5cm in places. Slow thaw has set in but I’m pleased with what we got, especially as a few days ago it looked like we would struggle to even get a dusting! 

C99927CD-D37E-4DE4-8158-9ADDB922B7FD.jpeg

85856D87-1479-4F79-813C-BEFB347ACF1A.jpeg

4179C4AD-01A3-4F80-AB3D-80D5A150B88C.jpeg

C15CA9C1-37D0-468B-9845-ADFF1209C42A.jpeg

Nice to see laying snow,but have to admit im hugely disappointed, raining hard here, and has been since the early hours, washing away a fair bit of what fell, all I want is a couple of days of snow laying, no marginal hooha, which seems to be the norm more often that not

Looks like a NNE Streamer could set-up overnight for Norfolk/ Peterborough area. Those areas could see some wintry/snow showers, trouble is no elevation up there, to help.

image.thumb.png.19b87fd5d37d1757c054ba069abbe0ea.png

Glad to see some of the Region did quite well. It seems the front was far more active on it's western flank, to the west of London, having looked at all the news reports, from Chippenham and South Wales.

Bring on the "Murr sausage" and an ENE, that's what I say!!

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12

2 hours ago, icy toes said:

Wow - the snow band has moved north after all and we have a covering of snow here in Cambs. We weren’t forecast any. Goes to show the models aren’t always spot on. Happy snow day everyone. Looks like we might get some more over the next hour or so.

Yes was a total surprise this morning and a nice walk to work in the snow!

Don’t understand where the MO are getting this snow ⚠️ warning from? Or is this meant to be the bulk of the snow now falling over the West Country?

73AD1BEE-3996-4800-ACCC-3635E8D42538.jpeg

Edited by Jezzer

7 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I think we have just climbed over 1cm, weve got some melting so it maybe a close run thing. Probably was over 1cm at the end of that weaker band at 3am! 

Definitely better than feared, that moderate back end finally moistened up the atmosphere, upto that point everything died around this area. Just a shame that first front set up just to the north and I was in a major subsidence zone.

The. The 2nd bad luck was a little secondary low spun off into Hampshire which forced the front yo Arch taking us out of the zone. Luckily it died quickly and the back edge refilled again as a new low took over in the channel.

Who's going to be filming you then?

Light snow here again. Looks like a little back building going on. Temp is 0.9  now with dewpoint of 0 so I don't think there will be any more accumulation, especially as lying snow is already fairly wet and slowly thawing.

Three Mile Cross RG7

Plus dew points for alot in the south east really takes the proverbial,even on the south coast is freezing or below

Morning.. Are we expecting more to come this way..?

I took some photos of my workplace at Crown lane/Beulah Hill. 

IMG_20190201_074253.thumb.jpg.518fa840a2e7b9456ffcefbc70e060f8.jpgIMG_20190201_074059.thumb.jpg.399322f913ee49781325bbad62493d01.jpgIMG_20190201_074205_1.thumb.jpg.360bd7f155924d917703d9a4166fadf3.jpgIMG_20190201_074215.thumb.jpg.cbbba70b9aec8787890dc2b23f4be37e.jpg

These are from last night in my back garden in Selston. 

IMG_20190201_050911.thumb.jpg.fc6338028b71e95f49b4242ee791fbb2.jpgIMG_20190201_050904.thumb.jpg.dc4a7526c3dfdd7968a7003664bf78b6.jpg

Edited by D.V.R
Deleting pictures

1 hour ago, mulzy said:

The 1cm we had at 6am is thawing rapidly.  Just a patchy slushy dusting that's left.

1.3C

Glad folk in the western and northwestern part of the region did reasonably well.  One day, Greater London will see a fall to match Feb '09, Feb '91 and the legendary stuff from the 80's.  One day...

Still have some patches about even though it's raining here, and still some on the hills to. Won't be there for much longer I expect.

Dew point here in Reading is 0.1'c with air temperature of 0.8'c

3 minutes ago, Isle of Harry said:

January 2019 has been the driest since January 2006 in Thanet. 

Been a very dry spell here too since autumn. Unfortunately, my rain gauge was not working due to cobwebs for a while, but I haven't seen an awful lot!

We ended up with about 2cm - now I understand how little that is in practice 😅

still nice to look at tho I can’t help thinking if it wasn’t for the timing BEING FIVE HOURS LATE we would be seeing quite an impressive amount of snow.

Everyone made it into the office, no disruption and work’s open for business. Pah!

Oh well hopefully everyone stayed safe and didn’t trip over any grass this morning

Happy for all that got a decent amount of snow last night. Especially those that weren't expecting much.

It was looking quite promising here when I turned in at 11 pm but woke to cold rain and patchy slush. I've no idea what the accumulation got to before it turned to rain. 

Onwards and upwards. I've been on the other side before and got a nice dollop of snow that wasn't expected so I'm quite philosophical about it.

A Kent streamer would though, I have to admit.

Nice amount left still, but with the rain thats fell since the early hours, and the plus dew points and temps, it will melt away soon enough, a real shame it has to be marginal all the time

IMG_20190201_093806.jpg

2 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

Been a very dry spell here too since autumn. Unfortunately, my rain gauge was not working due to cobwebs for a while, but I haven't seen an awful lot!

Which is interesting because we've had quite a few diving LPs but few of them have actually produced much rainfall. We will join doubt pay for it in June as per the norm!

Flash, we have done well to get more than a dusting, we were screwed over by 2 major pieces of bad luck last night. We would not have even got what we got were it not for a weak low taking over from the Hampshire low between 12-2am which caused the LP to collapse and finally filter in through convection 

Edited by kold weather

what went wrong ...when i went to bed ground temp was -2 air temp was -3 ..get up rain has washed what looked like a good 1/2 a centimetre away