Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Blessed Weather

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

A cracking spell of sleet here now 🙄

This event was so marginal for here but I suppose it was always going to be thus so can’t be too dispondant.

Back to medium long term prospect again for me and the hunt for some more winter.... 

1 minute ago, Jemma Croton said:

Whoever called it being good for Swindon was right on the money. Can’t find a ruler to measure...

22D02796-359D-4EB3-B1D1-823578D37B28.jpeg

Really happy for you Jemma. Enjoy your snow day . 

3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Can these regional threads not attach a warning sign to ignore weather apps as they’re garbage .

Yes, they should come with a health warning! MO app was rarely accurate for here last night. They got it right in the end showing heavy snow between 1 and 6am, but I could have found that out from the radar.

26 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Can these regional threads not attach a warning sign to ignore weather apps as they’re garbage .

Usually I'd absolutely agree - but this time, whether by luck than anything else - the symbols on my met office app changed from snow to sleet yesterday  starting around 3/4am and that was actually spot on. That's what gave me the alarm bells that we'd end up with a non event

Edited by CanadianCoops

Still a no go on our road!

Who made these tracks?

15490111470902788440849438254237.jpg

15490112235401661652232194872037.jpg

Those of us to the west of the SE region seem to have done ok. Pleasantly surprised this morning.

8.5 cm on the driveway 9-10cm on the cars etc. Contemplated measuring road depth but thought that might be a bit silly!

.Febsnow2.thumb.jpg.48878224033274e6bf91b02ba02ca851.jpgFebsnow3.thumb.jpg.bddadc75821fb35dc024af317f1c4243.jpgFebsnow4.thumb.jpg.1920ac8474faac09b44ff6065bc1c865.jpg

Edited by Kiwi

8 minutes ago, Jemma Croton said:

Whoever called it being good for Swindon was right on the money. Can’t find a ruler to measure...

22D02796-359D-4EB3-B1D1-823578D37B28.jpeg

looks like you've had a good 4 inches....

so all told we had about 2 inches in total. Still moderate snow here, thought we were getting a break and no we weren't. However what's on the path is melting and snow that hits you is quite wet and melts on contact.  Wow really. Thought we might of missed out or not had much. 

It'll do me and bubs was a very happy bubs this morning. 

An incredible event for the Sussex coast, one that was more notable for the situation that caused it than the snowfall.

Was it,in the end best described as a channel Low? All the corrections South of the system over the proceeding days meant for me a proper analysis got lost.

Unusual 'on the face of it' snow moving off the Channel and sticking readily.

The only examples where this can happen looking at my records are from 'well posted' channel lows bumping into cold air in place,it just never works on the coastline from any channel flow other than an Easterly.

18 minutes ago, huntso said:

Snowing here, settling on the pavements, nice to look at, but nothing of note

Hopefully it will head this way 😋 - just a little more up the road

43 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Iron horse, park up by fox and hounds and walk the mile or so and sledge down all the hills while you go... Some are pretty steep I went down face first last year, but it was brutal cold...

That’s a good spot! Love walking there

We now have heavy sleet in Tonbridge

I'm pretty sure Kold would have ended up with are least 1cm.

When's he doing his naked dash?

Snowing again, as heavy as it got last night. 0.6c

18 minutes ago, CanadianCoops said:

Usually I'd absolutely agree - but this time, wether by luck than anything else - the symbols on my met office app changed from snow to sleet yesterday  starting around 3/4am and that was actually spot on. That's what gave me the alarm bells that we'd end up with a non event

Agree. MO app was pretty darn accurate for me. 

Kept updating regularly enough as new information came in. 

This image from last night. 

33F8DBF1-BCF0-415A-BEE4-DB1149D9B6A9.png

ED117CB1-4560-4F4D-8DBF-E73BC875CFEF.jpeg

We had about 1cm here in Mid East Herts but a couple of areas nearby done a little better.  

Decent covering when I went to sleep but unfortunately the melt is fast! Sad times, least we saw some snow though here on the snow starved southern riviera

Edited by Weathizard

Moderate Rain. Temp 2.5c DP 0.2

Pleased for those out west who have received “the goods”.  Enjoy 🏂

Snowing lightly again in Medway.

We have a wintry mix here now in Sevenoaks - reckon we had 2 cm until about 4am, but since then much of it has melted. Better than nothing, although I was expecting / hoping for 5 cm.

This is so British! Students at my school have started a petition to get school cancelled. We’re on 250 signatures in 45 minutes! 

7696560E-1EC3-40C1-949A-13719632F49B.png

Edited by smichling

Some places in England have really hit the jackpot. 19cm's has been recorded in Mendips with pics in the SW thread

Well, that was....exciting (!) We got a CM or two but where it started to thaw, and be trampled on, it's actually quite slippery. Nearly went flying a few times this morning!