Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Blessed Weather

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Still snow tiny bit here in Boxley but not accumulating to much at all really currently

Just now, WhiteFox said:

Just been out with the dog. Nothing like the sound of fresh squeaky snow underfoot!

Very wet snow though and very different depths depending on surface. Varies from about 5-6cm on some cars and plants, to about 2cm on some pavements. I'm guessing that the temperature being just above freezing has contributed to that.

Looking at radar, looks like snow easing for now as band is still heading north. Some heavier showers still to south so maybe a bit more to come.

IMG_20190131_235836_HHT.jpg

IMG_20190131_234854.jpg

glad you got snow but to be honest it is paltry isnt it?

24 minutes ago, kold weather said:

The good news Steve is the UKMO are showing another area moving up through the area later tonight, I think its starting to develop right to my south.

Still looking pretty weak if I extrapolate the tracks of the showers, nothing really decent at all showin itself here!

Why is the band ALWAYS at its weakest point when it crosses here, this is about the 5th time tonight that has happened!

Think we may have done a smidge better than you here in Fleet (about 2 x 20 mins of flurry totally maybe 2.5mm 😔) so I feel your pain. The MetO forecasts have looked good to great, the radar looks full of potential and temps and dps have been good. And yet it all seems so weak. I know snow 8s notoriously difficult to forecast but tonight even the nowcasts give poor returns.

I am staying up - if only to squeeze another hour or so of hope out what has been disappointing so far, albeit arguably not a total bust.

Chin up @kold weather

Edited by Mizzle

Either way, all is not over yet, there is plenty more to come...

4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Back edge is approaching, one last chance at snow tonight before its officially over and the front is to our north.

what are the odds guys...I think more or less 100/1 at this time based on history!

I think this could be our chance , if not always next time, they say thunder doesn’t strike twice let’s hope the same is true of the dreaded dry slot

Edited by Weather Wonder

Would just like to say that your updates throughout this week have been superb @kold weather, and are appreciated by everyone! 

I looked!! 

Everything going white in my small part of SE12, including roads and paths (apart from the ones I salted). 

Expecting a pause soon before the next wave. 

3 minutes ago, Weather Wonder said:

I think this could be our chance , if not always next time, they say thunder doesn’t strike twice let’s hope the same is true of the dry slot

Yeah lets hope so.

As it happens we finally have something resembling proper snow for the first time tonight.

Ground has been made wet by constant snizzle rubbish so its not going to settle but the backedge has at least finally got it snowing...only taken 5 freaking hours!!! Still can't get away from the fact this has been utter garbage here. Good for further north though for sure!

EDIT- shame its going to last 10-15 minutes and then that's it...I've spent many dozens of hours watching this...for 15 minutes of moderate snow...that's a little sad really!

Edited by kold weather

Hoping that stuff in the channel keeps building,be amazing if this doubles back on itself

back to micro flakes in wokingham but looking at the radar it should pick up again soon. have set myself a 2am curfew. 4 hours is plenty of sleep....

Snowing nicely but not heavy enough settle that well yet.

2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Yeah lets hope so.

As it happens we finally have something resembling proper snow for the first time tonight.

Ground has been made wet by constant snizzle rubbish so its not going to settle but the backedge has at least finally got it snowing...only taken 5 freaking hours!!! Still can't get away from the fact this has been utter garbage here. Good for further north though for sure!

hallelujah! 

11 minutes ago, Mark Neal. said:

I'd LOVE too! 

No THANK YOU! I’m flying to Canada that day

3 mm in bexleyheath - and that's where it settled. Which is not much of the road or pavement.

Very poor even with minimal expectation of 1 cm. is that it?

Just now, username home said:

hallelujah! 

It does feel a bit of a miracle, seriously I have to be the last person on here to see some actual snow tonight, right?! Light dusting here, could mistaken it for frost to be honest, but its better than utterly nothing.

Starting snowing here on January 31 and it's still snowing February 1. It's been snowing non stop for two months now 😎

Just now, kold weather said:

Yeah lets hope so.

Sounds promising for areas further north , back to to lamppost watch here! Wish you all the best, dont  go using Steve’s kentimenters, you might have to fulfill you deal 😂

Just now, Weather Wonder said:

Sounds promising for areas further north , back to to lamppost watch here! Wish you all the best, dont  go using Steve’s kentimenters, you might have to fulfill you deal 😂

Nah mate we are still well short of that mark at the moment, barely would qualify as a dusting at the moment!

As you say, you guys further north should get something better than me out of this as you'll have more time in this band, it may even stall over you guys yet.

Heavy stuff suddenly arrived everything going white very quickly 

Well, I'm actually a little surprised for my area in Central London-

Been snowing since 9pm, persistent and heavy at times, everything turning white!

the snow rate here is truly astonishing.........five flakes an hour

Stall now please! This is great!!! 

12 minutes ago, snow freak said:

glad you got snow but to be honest it is paltry isnt it?

I'm not complaining! That constitutes a good fall around here. Before last year we hadn't had so much as a covering since January 2013.

Before that it was January and December 2010 then you're looking at maybe 2 coverings in the whole of the 2000s!

This is a treat.