SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

2 minutes ago, Nqp15hhu said:

Why does East Anglia have positive few points again?

No deep established cold pool, North-East/East winds off of a relatively warm North Sea = higher dew points 

• Like 3
  • Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best of luck to the SE gang tonight ?

Evening All, I hope other Members have no objection but just wanted to post up a Wintry Slideshow, for our Kentish Members. But I hope all Members will enjoy these very Wintry photos, from around

Best of luck yo you guys and girls in the South. Don't give up hope if it starts as rain. It rained here for about 2 hours now it's heavy snow. You should be good for a few cms also as it's very heavy

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

@kold weather did I miss your 06z ec summation ?  Did it develop that small circulation like the 00z and being the heavier snow ‘blob’ through London ??

Basically no, but the front still has some staying power so the area of 2 inches is expanded on this run to include most areas south of M4. Then a further 1-3cms north upto Lowestoft westwards.

Cloud cover increasing here, out lovely sunny early morning has long gone as the front spreads in cloud.

Edited by kold weather
6 minutes ago, southbank said:

has the MET issued an amber alert for London . nothing on website yet national papers are reporting it and BBC NEWS 24

It's London and the South East but it's a little misleading because you need to click on further details to notice Hampshire are in the Amber currently because they tap into the SE.

• Like 1

The clouds are beginning to fill the sky now. We had a light snow shower earlier around 10am 

i keep seeing rain about after the snow has moved through and I’m just wondering how much damage this might do to our snow, I’m also really worried because my husband is working on the M4 tonight and I’m worried about how cold he will be and his safety when travelling. 

P.s I really don’t want to take the kids to school in the morning. If this snow does arrive and it leaves us with a lovely amount the kids/adults can enjoy some fun time, these snow events stay in people’s memories. I have pictures of my dog on the main road which is full of snow and drifts and I always remember that snow we had.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, southbank said:

has the MET issued an amber alert for London . nothing on website yet national papers are reporting it and BBC NEWS 24

This happens because a tiny bit of the New Forest in Hampshire is in scope. 

Meto then lumps their warnings in to categories such as 'London and SE England' which includes Hampshire!

2 minutes ago, SortitoutsiVP said:

Latest Met Office video gives my region more or less zero of snow over night.

Same my heavy snow signs from this morning have turned to sleet and even heavy rain.

Can one of you kind people please explain to someone like me who hasn't a clue, what you mean by streamer ? 

Been answered below ??

Edited by Oaks
15 minutes ago, Essex Chelle said:

When aThames streamer is mentioned- what does it exactly mean? 

I believe a Thames Streamer (or any streamer) is where under the right conditions a line of persistent showers form at an estuary due to a difference of air and water temperatures and the wind direction and so a funnel from the source spreading out forms a line of showers for the same places meaning that favored areas get significantly more snow then surrounding areas.

2009 or might have been 2010 was a good example where SE London had several inches of snow and this spread SW from there down towards the IOW but other areas to the NE only had a couple of inches.

One of the NW staff here did a good write up about it which I'm sure is hidden away on here somewhere...

• Like 3
Just now, Oaks said:

Can one of you kind people please explain to someone like me who hasn't a clue, what you mean by streamer ? 

Great piece by our very own Tom ...

• Like 1
Just now, Nqp15hhu said:

It was -5c this morning. Pretty cold

Yes.. but winds weren't coming in from the North Sea this morning, didn't you say you were a training Meteorologist? 

3 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Yes.. but winds weren't coming in from the North Sea this morning, didn't you say you were a training Meteorologist? 

What is your point Daniel? Spell it out.

Edited by Nqp15hhu