Please share your photos from the long weekend to our Easter weekend 2019 photo gallery!

Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Blessed Weather

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Morning everyone. Hope we are are feeling better.

Sorry if it offends anyone but I no covering to speak off. 

My temp is -3.1 outside. Look icy. Wouldn't like to have to de-ice a car this morning.

whoops I've said too much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see other areas are reporting the same as me......zilch ! woke up at 1am to the sound of rain and then at 6am all I was greeted with outside was a very wet ground with a temp of +1c . did not even have to de-ice the car and roads perfectly ok, I knew it would be a fine margin because its Thanet but I lived in hope , oh well perhaps next time if I can find the switch to shut off the snowshield 😞

• Thanks 1

Just now, DonnaThw said:

As your probably all aware I’m right on the coast 🤣  I’ve heard that it’s dropped south tomorrow is that better for me???

It does look like that, so hopefully us coasters will have a better chance than last night. Fingers crossed. 

In other news travelling on the train, snow line starts around just north of Battle. 2-3cm or so at Stonegate (on cars, not roads or pavements). Imagine Heathfield / Crowbrough and other favoured spots did ok with elevation and away from the sea!

Bah why did I insist on sea views.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

But the uppers are about the same as Tuesday evenings at around -6, maybe the easterly flow might make it more conducive to snow than the SE’ we saw yesterday.

Unfortunately it was a sw. Here anyway. Se would have been fine.

• Like 1

We are left with frozen slushy snow on patio table, cars and patches of snow on the grass this morning. I was happy to see at 6.30 this morning Meto gave us in rainham Kent  two snow flakes over a period of 4 hours tomorrow evening but an hour later it’s down to one snowflake and sleet.... hey ho, I’m sure it will change hourly.... 

• Like 1

Beeb has now taken away the snow icon for me tomorrow. In fact it's suggesting no more snow at all.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

There is a sharp cut off into essex - mainly due to intensity not the fact the front doesnt reach you quick enough-

ECM 42-48 00z optimal areas are sort of Kent / sussex / Surrey / Hamp / Wilts - around 5-6cm

48-54 as the system fragments & stalls ( tail over London / N kent & the front is up towards North Essex ) then there may well be less on it - so less depth 

System arriving PM tomorrow is around 30 hours away now so less & less corrections however Essex is certainly on the cusp-

ECM 48 below V 96 2 days ago just shows how far the model has corrected in 2 days with the -5c line

Thoughts on how ICON has done, it had a more southerly option at T96 and was considered perhaps at that stage an outside chance. Seems to have done quite well for past 2 events.

Just now, Lauren said:

Beeb has now taken away the snow icon for me tomorrow. In fact it's suggesting no more snow at all.

It's funny how the MO one symbol summary for tomorrow is just white cloud, but you look at the detail at it gives 8/10 hours of snow!

8 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

As your probably all aware I’m right on the coast 🤣  I’ve heard that it’s dropped south tomorrow is that better for me???

Yes, still marginal right at the coast but much better chance of snow than there was yesterday.

• Like 1

My close proximity to the Thames scuppered my chances last night, by the time the temps dropped inc dew points the moisture had run out. Only 5m ASL so systems from the east are better for my locale. However tomo looks a lot better chance as we are already in the cold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

While I'm waiting for the 00z ECM run to roll out, thought I'd play about with some more Family photos!!

Hi Tom,

I'm sorry to hear about your son. I hope he's doing as well as can be expected. 

As I spend more and more time in this thread, I realise its not just about the weather. Its a real community with people who have real lives. Thanks for all your posts both weather related and personal. You're one of the reasons I keep popping back in here. (that and to talk about Steve Murrs sausage)

All the best.

EDIT: In bold 🙂

Edited by CanadianCoops
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, dallas said:

My close proximity to the Thames scuppered my chances last night, by the time the temps dropped inc dew points the moisture had run out. Only 5m ASL so systems from the east are better for my locale. However tomo looks a lot better chance as we are already in the cold.

When I lived in S Essex in marginal setups it would be common to get snow but not settle. About 10 miles inland and the ground would be white with snow!

• Like 1

A slight covering of a cm on most surfaces, everything frozen solid, excellent seeing reports and pics from the region, far from a bust, on to the next.❄️⛄

11 hours ago, weathergeek said:

Thank you FLW!! Snow starting to settle here in Ashtead so have higher hopes for Boxhill!

More snow up on Box Hill than down here at 60 metres above sea level!

5C0F5D4B-62A4-42FC-BBBA-80017C6E041C.jpeg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, kold weather said:

When I lived in S Essex in marginal setups it would be common to get snow but not settle. About 10 miles inland and the ground would be white with snow!

Well lets hope we are the good side of marginal tomo

We do have snow on hills, and cars. A bit less down here then last time though. Pavements have no snow this time.

In Norwich we awoke to snow on cars and rooftops but roads and paths appear at best slushy but mostly just wet but I fear it's going to be ice. Anyway first sticking snow of winter here.

Very slight dusting here in Ipswich too far east in these set ups despite what some models were projecting. Southern counties and Kent look great again for Thursday but not expecting anything here - geographically hamstrung again!

Hopefully there’ll be more chances left this winter but was nice to snow falling after a long long wait! 

I've found the snow! 

DSC_1239.thumb.JPG.3fcaf238420b37c2d663f024cd758b27.JPGDSC_1240.thumb.JPG.c1f16e554e30fe5fe62c3df6a9eaf51d.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Still evidence of a dusting here. Wrt Thursday, most models now keep the heaviest precipitation to the south and west of NW London, albeit still a few cms. At least it's more likely to now stick around a bit longer rather than melt Friday morning!

Beeb forecast for the Isle of Wight looks disappointing (yet again). My thoughts are allready turning towards spring time and warmth. Been another frustrating winter.

12 minutes ago, FlightlessWings said:

More snow up on Box Hill than down here at 60 metres above sea level!

5C0F5D4B-62A4-42FC-BBBA-80017C6E041C.jpeg

Ah lovely! Thank you so much for that pic and letting me know, I might have to venture up there today!!!xx

Ooo it's a winter wonderland up here.. But very dangerous 

DSC_1241.thumb.JPG.8001ee5e3b861a1c88879fccd0ff4199.JPG

DSC_1243.thumb.JPG.d49a5cd3d09722f18a212fdc8477362e.JPG

• Like 6

UKMO has tomorrows system in a similar position as the ECM though the area of heavier precip stretchs further north a little, to the north of M4 before quite a quick weakening.

Surrey- where about are you mate?

Edited by kold weather

2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Ooo it's a winter wonderland up here.. But very dangerous 

DSC_1241.thumb.JPG.8001ee5e3b861a1c88879fccd0ff4199.JPG

DSC_1243.thumb.JPG.d49a5cd3d09722f18a212fdc8477362e.JPG

Where are you Surrey?!