Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Blessed Weather

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Recommended Posts

I was a Anerley too, on that day, Tom...Another guy and I nearly got blown into the road, by a sudden squall of heavy snow & graupel!:cold:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think anyone seems to have a clue where this snow will land. I have just checked the weather warning and the whole of East Sussex and Kent have been upgraded now, I’m in Rye and yesterday and it didn’t cover me at all. Maybe the met office knows something we don’t.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the snow depth you can see on my daughter's car, is a very good depth for S.E.London!! In fact, it was very unusual for Anerley to receive more snow than Bromley, a few miles to the East. I'm sure that photo was taken in Feb.2009 but I won't upset Paul Sherman again, by asking him to explain why this Thames Streamer, behaved differently!!

Sorry Paul!!  :oops:

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive browsed now through all the latest charts 

All the 6z

Tuesday im now 90 % confident

London and the southeast wil have at least 2-6 cms snow depth

Favoured areas NW of london 

Watford  st albans could see more

London north of thames  widely at least 2cms with prone spots up to 6cms

Kent and south london 3-5 cms

Very possible 

Thursdsys event atm will also be %80 all snow with maybe 5-10 cms of fresh acumalations

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lampostwatcher said:

Ive browsed now through all the latest charts 

All the 6z

Tuesday im now 90 % confident

London and the southeast wil have at least 2-6 cms snow depth

Favoured areas NW of london 

Watford  st albans could see more

London north of thames  widely at least 2cms with prone spots up to 6cms

Kent and south london 3-5 cms

Very possible 

Thursdsys event atm will also be %80 all snow with maybe 5-10 cms of fresh acumalations

How about West London, UB6? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jackski4 said:

I'm highly optimistic. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and possibly Monday? Subject to change of course, but winter is here😀

I would be happier if the forecast temps on the met office site were a bit lower. Maxes of 5 tomorrow, 3 Thursday and Saturday doesn't scream snow to me. I know that other factors are involved and their temps have been a bit overdone lately but I would rather the temps were showing as 1 or 2 as maxes or preferably sub-zero but I realise that is probably asking a bit too much.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, snowblind said:

I would be happier if the forecast temps on the met office site were a bit lower. Maxes of 5 tomorrow, 3 Thursday and Saturday doesn't scream snow to me. I know that other factors are involved and their temps have been a bit overdone lately but I would rather the temps were showing as 1 or 2 as maxes or preferably sub-zero but I realise that is probably asking a bit too much.

Plenty of time for that in February!! In the next 7 days we COULD have 4 potential snow events.. I feel like I'm going to get some sleepless nights watching that lamppost outside my front room window! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jackski4 said:

Plenty of time for that in February!! In the next 7 days we COULD have 4 potential snow events.. I feel like I'm going to get some sleepless nights watching that lamppost outside my front room window! 

Bring it on

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, snowblind said:

I would be happier if the forecast temps on the met office site were a bit lower. Maxes of 5 tomorrow, 3 Thursday and Saturday doesn't scream snow to me. I know that other factors are involved and their temps have been a bit overdone lately but I would rather the temps were showing as 1 or 2 as maxes or preferably sub-zero but I realise that is probably asking a bit too much.

Always worth noting that forecast apps temperatures can be a bit hit and miss, especially with being a degree or two warmer than reality. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

Ive browsed now through all the latest charts 

All the 6z

Tuesday im now 90 % confident

London and the southeast wil have at least 2-6 cms snow depth

Favoured areas NW of london 

Watford  st albans could see more

London north of thames  widely at least 2cms with prone spots up to 6cms

Kent and south london 3-5 cms

Very possible 

Thursdsys event atm will also be %80 all snow with maybe 5-10 cms of fresh acumalations

NOW that's the positivity I like!! BBC graphics show it starting as rain here in Southend for Tuesday but I'm taking that with a major pinch of salt. I'm expecting and hoping for 3-5 cms Tuesday, 10+ Thursday, 10 on Saturday, and another 10 on Monday.. There's a slight chance I may be wishful thinking, but if it goes my way I may be offered a meteoroligical job as you heard it here first!!😂😉

  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, saint said:

Always worth noting that forecast apps temperatures can be a bit hit and miss, especially with being a degree or two warmer than reality. 

Hmmm not so sure about that... down here it underplayed yesterday's and todays by a degree or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year, when we had the Beast from the East, I took the kids sledging up the Downs, on the way back my kids wobbly tooth fell out. (May have been due to the fact I shoved him down the hill so fast, he would have beaten Usain Bolt in a race).

The point I'm trying to get to is the fact my other kids tooth is wobbly. The same one. Could this be imminent? Is it waiting for the snow to appear. It's an omen. 

If no one sees me tomorrow, you'll be seeing me dragging the kid with the wobbly tooth, up the downs, to do a snow dance. 

Edited by Daenerys
Spellcheck!
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Icebox said:

Hmmm not so sure about that... down here it underplayed yesterday's and todays by a degree or two.

I always find the opposite! Although maybe this just tells us forecast apps aren't too accurate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Yes, the snow depth you can see on my daughter's car, is a very good depth for S.E.London!! In fact, it was very unusual for Anerley to receive more snow than Bromley, a few miles to the East. I'm sure that photo was taken in Feb.2009 but I won't upset Paul Sherman again, by asking him to explain why this Thames Streamer, behaved differently!!

Sorry Paul!!  

Regards,

Tom.   

Was even more in Croydon. Knee high on the ground, drifts a little higher, the trams were shut for three days, as were most of the shops.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Daenerys said:

Last year, when we had the Beast from the East, I took the kids sledging up the Downs, on the way back my kids wobbly tooth fell out. (May have been due to the fact I shoved him down the hill so fast, he would have beaten Usain Bolt in a race)......

isn't it easier to sledge down hill? 😛 🙂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Yes, the snow depth you can see on my daughter's car, is a very good depth for S.E.London!! In fact, it was very unusual for Anerley to receive more snow than Bromley, a few miles to the East. I'm sure that photo was taken in Feb.2009 but I won't upset Paul Sherman again, by asking him to explain why this Thames Streamer, behaved differently!!

Sorry Paul!!  :oops:

Regards,

Tom.   :hi:

Strange that one Tom (Dec 2010) in my neck of the woods snowfall was never that deep, only about 3 inches max at any time in that late November to December spell and often it melted relatively quickly within a day or so but heard places in West London, Surrey, Kent etc received up to 8 inches and even Paul Sherman in Leigh received far more than here in Burnham - that is why I hold December 1981 in much higher regard than the fore-mentioned spell (here anyway).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

Ive browsed now through all the latest charts 

All the 6z

Tuesday im now 90 % confident

London and the southeast wil have at least 2-6 cms snow depth

Favoured areas NW of london 

Watford  st albans could see more

London north of thames  widely at least 2cms with prone spots up to 6cms

Kent and south london 3-5 cms

Very possible 

Thursdsys event atm will also be %80 all snow with maybe 5-10 cms of fresh acumalations

Your analysis ties in pretty well with BBC News 24’s update at 1427. A very good update for our region. As is so often the case with these systems, they are expected further south than initially progged. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MAF said:

 

We got a good 10 inches in 2010. I'll have to dig out a photo of my trusty measuring tape in the snow. (Or was it 2009?!) Possibly the latter. I'm out now but when I get home I'll double check. 

(Sorry MAF, can't get rid of the quote box!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Was even more in Croydon. Knee high on the ground, drifts a little higher, the trams were shut for three days, as were most of the shops.

We had 13 inches on the garden table in east Croydon

 

read that back .. oooer missus

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Daenerys said:

Last year, when we had the Beast from the East, I took the kids sledging up the Downs, on the way back my kids wobbly tooth fell out. (May have been due to the fact I shoved him down the hill so fast, he would have beaten Usain Bolt in a race).

The point I'm trying to get to is the fact my other kids tooth is wobbly. The same one. Could this be imminent? Is it waiting for the snow to appear. It's an omen. 

If no one sees me tomorrow, you'll be seeing me dragging the kid with the wobbly tooth, up the downs, to do a snow dance. 

Its as good an indicator as anything on the mod thread

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frank assessment - 

TOMORROW NIGHT: Slushy mess, freezing over, covered by light snow showers. Mostly melted by Wed afternoon before it freezes over again.

THURSDAY: Cold sleet, maybe some flakes.

SATURDAY: Cold sleet, possibly a bit of snow early in the morning.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Just found some old photos on my Computer. I think this is Anerley Station, S.E.London in 2010, when I was TomSE20.

gallery_2739_1518_154025.jpg

My daughter, Hayley's car. Possibly 2010 or after that amazing "Thames Streamer", in Feb.2009. Again the location is Anerley, S.E.London. 

gallery_2739_1322_49929.jpg

Regards,

Tom.  

Looking back that 2009-2010 period was amazing for snowfall. Feb 09 with the streamer, a decent event in Dec 09, the big dumping of Jan 10 and several events in December 2010.

Probably be hard pressed to find 2 calander years with as many 6 inch plus snowfalls, especially for places south and west of London. Maybe 1978 and 1979? 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got back in to Ashford from London and on the boards are weather warning signs saying that due to the high threat of bad weather on Tuesday night in to Wednesday that the train services might need to change. They didn’t have that put up there early this morning.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like this week is just a taste of what's to come later in the month with that very good meto office update. 

So snow for many this week, but probably not too extreme, then a lull  before the bitter easterlies from Siberia arrive bringing powdery snowfalls for many and extremely cold air. 

Can't wait 🙏🙏⛄❄️⛸️

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...