SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

3 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Trust me, you really don't want to go through the initiation ceremony ?

Icy rain here. Definite chunks of ice in it but not full hail.

lol does it involve a feather duster? It doesn't feel that cold out, don't really want any snow if it's just a day thing, prefer my snow to last a couple of weeks:santa-emoji:

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best of luck to the SE gang tonight ?

Evening All, I hope other Members have no objection but just wanted to post up a Wintry Slideshow, for our Kentish Members. But I hope all Members will enjoy these very Wintry photos, from around

Best of luck yo you guys and girls in the South. Don't give up hope if it starts as rain. It rained here for about 2 hours now it's heavy snow. You should be good for a few cms also as it's very heavy

Posted Images

Just now, Bogman said:

Did it include sticky backed plastic and a fairy liquid washing up bottle?

There was a rolling pin and some watermelons and chanting. The rest is hazy,  I've blocked it out!

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Bogman said:

Did it include sticky backed plastic and a fairy liquid washing up bottle?

And don't forget to steal two of Mummy's coat-hangers for the Advent calendar??

It's 5.7C here and blowing a hoolie - if it's only 2.7, come tomorrow morning, I'll be getting excited!:cold:

5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

It's 5.7C here and blowing a hoolie - if it's only 2.7, come tomorrow morning, I'll be getting excited!:cold:

? ?

7 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

reading this thread and blowing, my mind has gone down the shady path.

I am losing showers, they are also heading down the path of doom.

Edited by Dami

Some pockets of -6C upper air are starting to enter the southern N.Sea, allied to the SST's off Southend being around +13c, will give rise to greater instability. A temperature differential of around 19c, should in theory set off some heavier showers and this what you're seeing now, in the southern N.Sea.

https://www.buienradar.nl/

https://www.seatemperature.org/europe/united-kingdom/southend-on-sea.htm

On the 2nd Feb, 2009, we had 850 temps(upper air) of around -10c>, giving a temperature differential of nigh on +20c, hence the heavy and thundery snow showers, that night. Here is Jo Farrow's article explaining the dynamics of "lake effect snow":

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/8748-sea-effect-snow---the-uk-version-of-lake-effect-snow-very-cold-air-across-the-north-sea

As long as the air mass has a long enough sea track, that temperature differential will do the rest. I do vividly remember when a forecast and a Met Office warning of severe weather associated with heavy snow showers ,in eastern districts went pear-shaped a few years ago. An overhang of cloud associated with a front over N.E France acted like a blanket over the southern N.Sea and stopped any convection, from taking place. 

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, c00ps said:

Got a fine covering here

D0EB4A02-8687-4B8A-8753-DF26FDBEFB07.jpeg

No bloody way!!! Yes!!! ?

That makes me happy to see so early on.. I really really hope this is just a taste of stuff to come later on in the depths of winter 

• Like 2

Showers starting to take a more easterly route.. Steve suggesting better temps after 10pm.. Even if I see something more wintry falling I'm happy.. 

Had some very heavy showers this evening already