Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
2 hours ago, Surrey said:

The ice down my single track road is just starting to glisten in the light... 

Absolute carnage on the roads this morning, I find ice worse than snow because drivers assume its not there.. Till its to late 

Still good chance of a few suprises today! 

In ten years of driving in Canadian wintes I only had one incident. Hit some ice trying to stop at an intersection. Even with winter tires and driving a 4x4 I skid through the intersection, just as a greyhound bus was coming though. Luckily the bus managed to avoid me and I'm able to tell the story. Hate it with a passion. Much prefer driving on compact snow.

Edited by CanadianCoops

1 minute ago, Sarah Anne said:

Le boisle on calais somme border france

Screenshot_20190122-080610_Messenger.jpg

Enriched cold, not feeling as many affects of the Atlantic... Landmass from them to Russia... going to happen when a front like last nights bumps into deep cold... Nevermind.. We should get to see a few flakes later 

Just now, Steve Murr said:

Nice!!

Were just going to miss it here 0.7c now

Brother drove to Marlow this morning not needing to de ice car.. He just sent me a text saying his car has frost on it and ice everywhere... Crazy situation don't re call anything like it where its frozen over so quickly and at this time.. Very rare event for sure! This for me is what makes weather fascinating.

Live temps

Now:

temps.thumb.png.791e95e8826e74f0e6ca7b87cbffaa6c.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Well. um. I guess it rained after all. Ground looks a bit damp, it doesn't feel that cold even at 0c and um it's clear.

Oh well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Lovely sunny day here again, yes, again.:oldgrin:

Hirlam must have it right? Or not.. Look at the differences haha! I love this!  We are looking at 30 day long range models, past 120 hrs all winter for charts.. and we cant get agreement at T+6 T+12 hours.. LOL!! 

1175961918_HIR1.thumb.jpg.8fe2f8a9df8a84607547cb4fd3707101.jpg824935134_HIR2.thumb.jpg.36ac30e279c6ac062108cd77d9fb4d7a.jpg

EURO4 00z is actually in pretty decent agreement with ICON 06z which leads me to believe that the EURO4  is leading the way... Be interesting what the EURO4 06z shows.. 

• Like 3

Posted

Quite an interesting set-up for Kent later tonight, as that LP forms in the flow the trough slows right down in its eastward progress. If it does slow down far enough west could see a surprise falling of snow tonight for Kent which could leave a 1-3cms. of course it may slow down when already too far east.

Also good hints that the trough has been forcasted to move just that little bit slower which means its coming in a few hors AFTER peak daytime warmth, rather than during it. That may make a small temperature difference and help send it the right way of marginal, we will see...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

A lovely sunny morning in South Ockendon.  I doubt there will be any snow as the sky is quite clear.  The dew point is 1°C.  The temperature is 3°C but feels like -1°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
31 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Quite an interesting set-up for Kent later tonight, as that LP forms in the flow the trough slows right down in its eastward progress. If it does slow down far enough west could see a surprise falling of snow tonight for Kent which could leave a 1-3cms. of course it may slow down when already too far east.

Also good hints that the trough has been forcasted to move just that little bit slower which means its coming in a few hors AFTER peak daytime warmth, rather than during it. That may make a small temperature difference and help send it the right way of marginal, we will see...

When you say Kent I assume everywhere except my part by the Thames in NW lowland/urban Kent I can already see the downgrade to blue on the chart along the Thames- posted by Surrey. Still atleast I might see some at my work in (mid Kent) this evening before I leave maybe❄

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
8 minutes ago, Katrine Basso said:

A lovely sunny morning in South Ockendon.  I doubt there will be any snow as the sky is quite clear.  The dew point is 1°C.  The temperature is 3°C but feels like -1°C.

It's a good thing that the skies clear will help to dry the ground out Incase we do have any snow showers this evening  Goodluck to all my SE& EA peeps! I'll be driving from Slough via M25 to Borough Green this evening I can imagine Surrey should have some and then closer to my work place will report later 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

It's a good thing that the skies clear will help to dry the ground out Incase we do have any snow showers this evening  Goodluck to all my SE& EA peeps! I'll be driving from Slough via M25 to Borough Green this evening I can imagine Surrey should have some and then closer to my work place will report later 

Further east should be better purely because the timing is better, more time for cooling from peak daytime temperatures, Surrey is probably going to get the trough only just after peak warmth so they will be more dependent on there being strong enough showers to bring the snow level down (quite possible)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
10 hours ago, snowbob said:

As far as I know Tamara has left and carinthian I think it was.

has left to Due to comments over posting his snowy home town pics I believe.

but I may be wrong

appologies if I am.

Accidentally quoted, can't delete.

21 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Further east should be better purely because the timing is better, more time for cooling from peak daytime temperatures, Surrey is probably going to get the trough only just after peak warmth so they will be more dependent on there being strong enough showers to bring the snow level down (quite possible)

Struggling to even see the trough if im honest currently... The showers out west over Wales etc must be associated with it... 

Very hard to see on FAX when they are in 6 hour intervals.. you almost have to try track it in real time and even then its not 100% 

Updated FAX for midnight is saucy for a few if it can nudge a little west..

184888210_fax3.thumb.gif.d740c388cc03b36e89108accfdb6f859.gif

How about a few showers for the East tomorrow too?

48543218_fax4.thumb.gif.20212a6936e53c751696d0c5a72c5258.gif

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Meanwhile, a few hundred miles further south in Paris this morning 

same front that went over us last night and brought rain

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
21 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Meanwhile, a few hundred miles further south in Paris this morning 

same front that went over us last night and brought rain

That doesn’t happen very often, an interesting situation where the clear skies over the near continent helped keep temperatures low enough for snow. Beautiful day here now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Well we may not be getting the snow we/I wanted, however.

I for one am so pleased the weather has broken from that depressive day after day of cloud.

Its so nice to see and feel the sun again, starting to feel that subtle warmth as well, in cars, porches sheltered spots in the garden.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Please let it happen after 9pm, I have some things to do early evening and don't want to be stranded 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters
1 minute ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Please let it happen after 9pm, I have some things to do early evening and don't want to be stranded 

i don't anything that happens today will leave you stranded! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
1 minute ago, username home said:

i don't anything that happens today will leave you stranded! 

I've been in these situations before, any snow can create chaos on the roads.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

A few of the 6z models certainly showing a more pronounced risk of something a little more organised for the South-East this evening/tonight 

APERGE.thumb.jpg.fc65e8027a362c571a95768898ff7bae.jpgECM.thumb.png.1dbb787f4119a9e919972fc004f049aa.pngEURO4.thumb.gif.ae5f02bae5d9bc62d1f7055a5ecdb5e8.gif

As the low clears to the South-East the PPN wraps around and comes down from the NE skimming EA and crossing the SE corner. It hasn't shown up on previous model runs so very likely to be a nowcast situation. A surprise 1-2cm for a couple of lucky spots?

Edited by Daniel Smith
  • Like 3