Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

Just had a really long and interesting chat with local Meteorologist Ian Currie. About to have my dinner and will post up some of his thoughts afterwards. 

Regards,

Tom.  

Come on Tom!!!

you must have finished desert by now

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
12 minutes ago, shotski said:

Come on Tom!!!

you must have finished desert by now

Hope Tom hasn't choked on too much sand?

• Like 2

Posted

The wind is roaring though the trees outside my window - it's nice to hear some weather for a change!

Nice weekend at the allotment, mild enough to get maintenance done. But my gawd, these grey days are sooooooo boring.

Still, I went to a wassail today. Lots of  folklore about the changing of seasons and morris dancing...and cider!! 

• Like 1

Posted

Just hope this cold spell delivers allot of snow for my area as the beast from the east last year. All we got was an couple of centermeters which didn’t last long.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

I should also mention that Ian co-wrote the Dorset Weather book with Broadmayne Blizzard (you've no doubt seen B.B's posts on the Model thread), who's actual name is Mark Ching. Mark also wrote a book entitled, "Blizzard of 78". See link to Mark's book below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blizzard-78-Snowstorm-Buried-Dorset/dp/0956055303

It is a superb account of the tremendous snowstorm that struck the South West and Wales, between 18th and 20th February 1978. See archive chart below:

image.thumb.png.357b1c364815009d545eec94df993927.png

Mild air associated with a low in mid-Atlantic tried to dislodge bitter cold air, that was entrenched over the U.K at the time. The front stalled over the S.W. and dumped copious amounts of snow, over that area.The book gives a superb account of how the blizzard impacted on Mark's,  Dorset life.

I hope Mark doesn't mind me mentioning this on the forum!! I did pass on Mark's best wishes to Ian Currie, kindly expressed to me in a PM, the other day.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
On 12/01/2019 at 07:38, lassie23 said:

So i need my own youtube channel i take it

Yes, if you want to be able to post bigger videos on here it's probably the easiest way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
10 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

I should also mention that Ian co-wrote the Dorset Weather book with Broadmayne Blizzard (you've no doubt seen B.B's posts on the Model thread), who's actual name is Mark Ching. Mark also wrote a book entitled, "Blizzard of 78". See link to Mark's book below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blizzard-78-Snowstorm-Buried-Dorset/dp/0956055303

It is a superb account of the tremendous snowstorm that struck the South West and Wales, between 18th and 20th February 1978. See archive chart below:

image.thumb.png.357b1c364815009d545eec94df993927.png

Mild air associated with a low in mid-Atlantic tried to dislodge bitter cold air, that was entrenched over the U.K at the time. The front stalled over the S.W. and dumped copious amounts of snow, over that area.The book gives a superb account of how the blizzard impacted on Mark's,  Dorset life.

I hope Mark doesn't mind me mentioning this on the forum!! I did pass on Mark's best wishes to Ian Currie, kindly expressed to me in a PM, the other day.

Regards,

That map of Feb 2018 shows you don’t need a GH To get a good snow event,just a wedge of heights will suffice.I think we will be very unlucky not to get at least one snow event in the next 6 weeks down here in the South East

Also thanks for sharing ICs views with us here on SE Thread-all good stuff!,

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
48 minutes ago, Tom Jarvis said:

Just hope this cold spell delivers allot of snow for my area as the beast from the east last year. All we got was an couple of centermeters which didn’t last long.

Same as

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Well at the half way point of the winter and let's face it it's been pretty forgettable, fairly mild a lot of cloudy calm days (as Ian Currie noted in Tom's post above) interspersed with briefly breezier brighter spells and very little in the way of frost...here's to a better second half! :drinks:

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

The biggest question for me is how many bites at the cherry will we get. Things go pear shaped and we could have a long wait for another bite for anything decent.

Expect a chilly spell to see out January, but that's about it at present, unless you want to go deep into FI but the way the models have been, absolute no point ( If you really want to it is giving us a cold Feb)

Posted

Anyone else getting the feeling its just not going to happen,I do hope im wrong,we just seem to be chasing charts that scream potential 10 days away

Posted

And ive seen daffodils out and flowering

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

On Friday, there were mums in just a jumper and jeans waiting at home time. NO coat. In fact, if I hadn't got a cough I could of gotten away with it too. It's january, not May. 

Thankful due Bub and I both suffering that at the mo it isn't freezing cold, but I still would love to at least see some snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

mowed the lawns today they were lush and green and smelt of spring !! still no clear signal for cold in the models that I can see end of jan the next window ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
38 minutes ago, snowrye said:

And ive seen daffodils out and flowering

Doesn't mean much, look at last year, we still ended up getting Snow eventually.... though it was Spring!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
1 hour ago, yamkin said:

i know we are apart of Europe but they never seem to say the UK, I think they know our luck is usually low with snow.

I have a special webpage for all the adverse weather in the uk and the world set up I know im a geek and what always interests me is how different they are. I read a paper yesterday saying that its going to be dry with no chance of snow for the next week or so, then today I had a look(the same paper) and now they are saying we are in for a cold, snowy next few weeks. I know from having looked at the mod thread that our chances of snow are reducing but from the papers today (the day the charts seem to be not liking us) they are teling me the opposite how the hell does that work????????????????????????????:crazy:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
31 minutes ago, Bedfordblues73 said:

My 6 year old is waiting patiently for a sledge Day !!

A warm welcome to the SE Regional forum Bedfordblues73. I think many of us are waiting patiently too! (And some not so patiently :oldlaugh:).

Hopefully we won't be waiting for too much longer as there is every indication that we'll be seeing the white stuff at some stage over the coming weeks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
20 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Here is the clip, below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMX-NeXje8M

Hopefully you can now put a face, to the name. I want a jumper like that!!

Regards,

Fantastic jumper, indeed! Will certainly be interesting to see if he is right about the next month or two

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, DonnaThw said:

i know we are apart of Europe but they never seem to say the UK, I think they know our luck is usually low with snow.

I have a special webpage for all the adverse weather in the uk and the world set up I know im a geek and what always interests me is how different they are. I read a paper yesterday saying that its going to be dry with no chance of snow for the next week or so, then today I had a look(the same paper) and now they are saying we are in for a cold, snowy next few weeks. I know from having looked at the mod thread that our chances of snow are reducing but from the papers today (the day the charts seem to be not liking us) they are teling me the opposite how the hell does that work????????????????????????????:crazy:

There is no way anyone or those in the MOD thread can know this far out about the chances of snow ....The Yamkin motto: Get the cold in first and then focus on the snow at least a few days beforehand ❄️❄️❄️ There are good signs for much colder conditions which will be great for snow potential ❄️

Edited by yamkin