Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Should we call time on this SSW and accept that it didn’t affect the trop in the way we was hoping for hopefully something else will pop up in Feb.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW! And a good thunderstorm
9 minutes ago, shotski said:

Should we call time on this SSW and accept that it didn’t affect the trop in the way we was hoping for hopefully something else will pop up in Feb.

I think that every event in the atmosphere, whether it be an SSW or whatever, has an effect on everything else so even if it didn’t immediately or directly affect the troposphere how we wanted, it would have caused something else to lead to something else etc etc. So if something did pop up in February or March or whenever, I think we could still say the SSW was helpful in assisting it. 

Merely an opinion on the greater picture however and I’m only new to this.  (So new in fact that although I’ve been following the models for a while, I only really learnt about properly about the atmosphere in my Alevel geography lesson earlier today!) 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
14 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Nice to see some chillier sunny days with some air frosts the last couple of days but if this is the best it will be this winter then let's face it will be one BIG disappointment! 1, Low solar minimum 2. Many global seasonal models showing northern blocking Jan/Feb 3. SSW event forecast since December (occurred New Year). 

Two months of never ending SSW talk has become almost as nauseating as them going on every day about BREXIT for the last two and a half years plus, neither of which have produced any results :olddoh:.

But on the bright side we still have a lot of winter left to go so time is still on our side.:oldrolleyes:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
6 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

1.4c here holding steady after a general creep from 0.2c at 5pm.

Are you expecting a covering there Steve from the cold front, should be ok for seeing some falling snow on the back edge at least at your altitude.

5 minutes ago, snowray said:

Are you expecting a covering there Steve from the cold front, should be ok for seeing some falling snow on the back edge at least at your altitude.

Im expecting yes some flakes

I did a weather video tonight for FB -

Height of 0c isotherm is 250-300M at 7am in the back edge

Im at 150 - so maybe 1c- heavy PPN may bring the ZDL level down.

If I was up the road at West Kingsdown @225M I would say yes-

Here 50/50...

But lots of deep showers close behind -Also forward momentum may be a shade ahead of schedule !

• Like 4

1 hour ago, snowrye said:

March 2013 was the last time I saw a decent snowfall,the beast from the east just didnt do it for me from an imby perspective,I managed 2cm at best,while my mate,3 miles away across the valley,measured around 8 inches,even my old town fared better than me,220 odd ft asl,cmon,give me a decent snowfall that sticks for a few days before march

I think last year's BFTE is gonna be the most snowfall i see for a long time in Ealing, W London. Dec 10th 2017 also provided decent accumulation.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Here 50/50...

But lots of deep showers close behind -Also forward momentum may be a shade ahead of schedule !

You can always go for a wander up to West Kingsdown if its snowing but not settling where you are.

I love living in hilly places, if its wet snow where you are and its not settling, just walk up the hill a bit, I used to take the dog for a long walk, good fun watching the snow start to settle as you get further up.

It would be nice if we all saw a few flakes tomorrow I must say.

Edited by snowray
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

yes pretty pointless if it doesn't stick and then two days later it's 9 c

Better than nothing. 

Any wintryness is welcome to a yet so far, snowless winter regardless if it doesn’t stick.  

No snowfall is not pointless in the mildest snowless country in Northern Europe. 

Edited by Ben Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
38 minutes ago, shotski said:

that pennell guy said the SSW would do nothing and be a damp squib and he got laughed at

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, Ben Lewis said:

Better than nothing. 

Any wintryness is welcome to a yet so far, snowless winter regardless if it doesn’t stick.  

No snowfall is pointless in the mildest snowless country in Northern Europe. 

I like sticky snow lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Bit chilly out, decided I needed a coat  also purchased a new salt and pepper mill, might use the salt one in case I get a sprinkle of snow.

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted

Temperature steadily rising in Reigate at 110m, where it's now 2.5c after this evening's low of 1.1c at 8pm. Dewpoint heading up as well, now 1.9c.

Edit: raining

Edited by abruzzi spur
  • Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

This is such a similar scenario to years gone by; chasing a snow shower to get a fix lol

its so sad

True. 

But at least in previous winter's we had low pressure areas passing over or near the country. There was always the chance that a slight build of pressure to the North would start to push them to our south and then it could potentially be game on. I know most folk on here despise storms wind and rain but at least it's something to keep the interest up. 

I mentioned on the Moans thread last week with the limpet high to our W/SW, bugger all was going to happen. That didn't go down well in there.

And here we are, chasing sleet. 

However, it is only January 21st.....lots and lots of time yet. 2 months in fact. And as last March thought us(admitedly the first few days) you can have crisp powder snow even on the pavements in Central London.

Posted

Last nights frost still on the pavement outside where the sun didn’t reach today, despite the air temp now rising to 3.6c. Can’t imagine it’ll stay much longer though.

Posted
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

Here 50/50...

Steve, just got back from Buckmore Park Karting! Word of advise the the right turn past the finish line and the sharp hair pin left we’re like an ice rink!! If tomorrow is colder I wish you all the best lol! Lap times were 54-55 seconds which is 3-4 seconds slower than last week.  Still a good night. 

Posted

When are the temperatures expected to fall away perhaps in time for some wintryness on the back edge?

Posted
1 minute ago, Dbarb said:

When are the temperatures expected to fall away perhaps in time for some wintryness on the back edge?

March............... 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

March............... 

Please don't do this to me. The idea of seeing a flake at 6 in the morning is what's keeping me from insanity lol.

Posted
Just now, Dbarb said:

Please don't do this to me. The idea of seeing a flake at 6 in the morning is what's keeping me from insanity lol.

Haha I get you, and I reckon I will be peering out to see if there are any big fat flakes whizzing past the Lampost at 6am when I put the bins out - Doh