Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
6 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

Praps we should keep the Fog Index going all year!

I might make my new forum name Fog Index!! 

I don't remember any Feb being this foggy. 

team fog index

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Up early again,

Had breakfast with my Wife before she left to start a 12 hour shift, at a Residential Care Home.

Overnight Model runs not that inspiring again, from a Coldie's perspective!! :nonono: Although to my untrained eye, the Models that do go out a bit further, look to be prepping themselves for a Northerly sourced outbreak, as we go deeper into March. :whistling:

Managed to get some decent sleep, despite ongoing cold. Fortunately Bruce and Brenda, my Bronchial Tube couple, gave it a rest, with the Violin Recitals!! Hopefully, Phlegmy Phil  image.png.e7767fc19d3e30f7c29e182e26e673dd.pngwill do one soon and let the loved up couple, breathe more easily!!

image.thumb.png.9e47ac5f71c6479b05388464c4708372.png

But my sleep was still punctuated with sounds, now more akin to a creaking door on a Hammer Horror film or those strange sounds that accompany the "buzzers" on the Comedy Panel Show, Q.I. All very bizarre but hopefully this nasty cold is on the wane, now. Anyway, thankfully Colette managed to get some decent sleep before her long and arduous day, at work.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Posted

Spent breakfast with Colette, reminiscing about my Italian mother. Fortunately my Wife met her to be Mother-in-Law many times, at their local shops. I met Colette via my younger Sister, Angela. They were at school together in Bromley, N.W.Kent.

I was telling my Wife about the time, during the late 1960's and 1970's, when I would retune our Kitchen wireless (wow, that dates me!!), to Radio 4, so I could listen to the Shipping Forecast. One day, Mum came out with the following "classic" line:

"Toma, whya youa wanna listen to thata sh..a, whena we'a dona even hava shipa, here ina Bromley?? 

Loved listening to the Shipping Forecast, in cold, wintry spells.

THAMES; Heavy, prolonged Snow Showers. East 5 or 6. Ah, music to my ears!! Would even get excited by mention of severe icing in, S.E.ICELAND. I was easily pleased!!

Mum was full of strange Hilda Baker type, gobbledygook and incorrect intonation of syllables when speaking English, bless her and highly amusing to hear. She also had a fiery, Neapolitan temper, which I remember to my cost. I slapped my younger Sister one day and felt Mums shoe, whistle past my ear and embed itself, in our Living Room door.  In typical Italian fashion, she was full of remorse and Mama Mia's, realising she could've had her son's eye out!! I learned very quickly not to upset my Neapolitan Mother. :nonono:

Excuse the fake Italian accent but Mum was born 30 miles north of Naples and had a lovely, lilting Neapolitan accent.

image.thumb.png.3deaaac764fd83c33aefda03c8fdfafd.png image.thumb.png.4aadacad8d16bbc287dd9b6f52352112.png Evidently, Dad was taken with her dark, sultry looks.

And Mum thought Dad resembled Burt Lancaster, don't quite see that myself. But due to his Wife's fantastic cooking and old age. With his expanding cargo hold, Dad started to resemble one of these:

image.png.a36a7607a303eb7cd68d9111793eab77.png  a Lancaster Bomber, bless him and (R.I.P.) Dad.

Apparently, Dad had a thing for Italian actresses, such as Claudia Cardinale: image.thumb.png.6d05a0a147502c47bd264b6738c0c52b.png

Gina Lollobrigida: image.thumb.png.2bdb7bf512984834e0a74fd9ea4b56d6.png (Evidently, Dad's favourite).

And of course, Sophia Loren: image.thumb.png.527b65a70ae9d27c7e941e2f213b0600.png

But like a lot of Italian women after childbirth, Mum became a bit "cuddly", around the edges, shall we say.

But although I'm biased, in her 20's she would've given the above, a run for their money!!

Dad stayed on in Italy after the War, to marry his Italian Fiancee. in 1947. Along with another English soldier/Italian bride, Mum and Dad were invited by Gracie Fields, to spend time on her private beach, adjoining her Villa, on the Isle of Capri.

Mum said that Dad got very jealous during their honeymoon, as she was being wolf-whistled at by locals, whilst sun bathing.

As you can imagine, myself and my two sisters, have very fond memories of our Mother. Up until her death in 2004, she became a very much loved, cuddly NONNA, to her five Grandchildren. She will also be remembered for her amazing Italian cooking, which was DELIZIOSA and PERFETTA.

Really hope B.W., Lauren and the rest of the Forum team, don't mind a bit more, family history. But the weather's very benign,boring and a bit "meh", for us Chionophiles (apologies to Katrine, for pinching her Avatar description.)

Well, looks like being another Springlike (yuck!!) day, today. Read the Calendar weather!. It's still Winter!

Think I'll turn the heating down now Feeling a bit feverish again, perhaps due to looking at the photos of those Italian actresses! :oldsmile: 

Regards,

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Beautiful here. 

Blue sky and sun. Going to be a splendid day. 

Luuurrvley!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

I had written a post about three days ago thinking I had sent it turns out I hadn’t at all  

As many of you are aware it’s half term, I had loads of plans but none have worked out poorly car and very poorly children AGAIN  I suppose that the risk you take when you have four children.

We haven’t been anywhere really at all but today I have put them out to play for a bit, it’s absolute beautiful out here, itt so warm in the sun if it stays like this I will be happy lady. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Murky start with low cloud, that burnt off around 10am, now cloudless and temps rapidly climbing. Up to 13c now, another stunning day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
24 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Hope everyone is enjoying summer 2019

Yes it's begun early and no doubt last through to October and then from November to March we'll experience a prolonged Autumn.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Yes it's begun early and no doubt last through to October and then from November to March we'll experience a prolonged Autumn.

lol with one day of sleet between november and march

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

It was a foggy morning yesterday and by 6pm the fog rolled back in and stayed until 10 am.  After there has been a beautiful blue sky with scattered with lots of bright sunshine.  The temperature now at 4pm is 14°C but feels more like 12°C.  The wind is coming from a S.S.E. direction, with the average wind speed at 7 miles per hour along with gusts of 14 miles per hour.  The visibility is good.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

What a clive mendonca of a day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I love foggy weather and the last time there was dense fog was in May 2004. I left my parents home and was walking back to my flat where I got lost in the fog. It took me nearly half an hour to get home (even though it would have normally taken me just over 5 minutes walk to get to my flat.  I love listening to the vintage recordings of the shipping forecast especially with the music at the beginning and at the end.

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Groundhog day again. Sunny, warmish. Dry. 

Boring weather for February. 

Disagree - boring is wind and gales.  Sunny, warmish and dry - close to perfect - can it last for the next 8 months?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, mulzy said:

Disagree - boring is wind and gales.  Sunny, warmish and dry - close to perfect - can it last for the next 8 months?

Haha, I very much doubt it. It’s a case of enjoy it while it lasts as early March at least is looking cooler and unsettled, with some wind and rain. Hopefully not a total wash out, some decent convective weather would be interesting, as we can can get some pretty cloudscapes at this time of the year. Just no dismal, grey skies for weeks on end, please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Certainly not boring weather for those of us that enjoy being outdoors on our days off and enjoy dog walks. 

Another beautiful day to come, clear & sunny here. 

• Like 4

Posted

Morning - another beautiful day on the cards here. Currently 7c after a low of 2.1c.

Just wondering if it’s foggy in places as temperatures in some locations in Kent seem to be close to zero?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well this month will generally be remembered for being fairly mild and very sunny with clear skies forecast for the next few days with the mix of frosty nights and maxima in the mid teens. 

Docer castle was lovely to walk around yesterday in very light winds with a chill only setting in once the sun began to set.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Got down to 0.2c on the sandy soil here on the edge of Esher Common might make 17c, which is an amazing diurnal range and  proper continental like weather.

• Like 1

Posted

Pretty uninspiring Model runs again this morning, for the cold weather fans amongst us, looking for some late season snowfall.

So, on the premise, "if the snow won't come to us", I'll bring the snow to you!!

If it's ok with the Forum Hosts, I'd like to put together a little "travelogue" of Northern Italy. 

I decided to take my son, Antony and daughter Hayley, on a week's break to their Nan's homeland, during the first week of December, 2003. The problem was, we all worked together in the same Office, in Croydon. So it was impossible for us to have longer than a week away, together. Our Office Manager was very accommodating, in allowing us to all have the same week's holiday.

image.thumb.png.f7375ef4e9e244740d70c135da299eb0.png Hayley and Antony, outside Naples Airport, about ten years ago.

I decided on a week in Milan. To have gone to my Mother's home town of Caserta, near Naples, we would've needed at least 2 weeks, when you take into account the amount of relatives, we would've needed to visit.

I also had noticed that Antony was showing signs of developing the same hereditary illness, Huntington's Disease, that his Mother had suffered and sadly, subsequently died from. With that in mind, I wanted to have a week's holiday with both of them before Antony became too ill, to travel. I'm so glad I made that decision, as all three of us had a very enjoyable time. 

I decided to base ourselves in Milan and we'd each choose a "themed" day of special interest, to each one of us. 

Not surprisingly, Antony chose a football match at A.C.Milan's impressive, Giuseppe Meazza stadium, San Siro.:

image.png.efdf09ddd7fc16d7ecc6c78ef833e265.png

To keep it weather related, the Northern Italian Plain can be quite a bit colder than the U.K, in Winter. Plus cold air seeps down from the Alps, into the Valley's, below.

If memory serves, the temperature on the night of the match, dropped to -5c. The match was never in danger of being postponed, as like in England, all the top Italian Clubs, have under soil heating But we managed to warm ourselves up with some hearty, steak baguettes covered in a delicious sauce!! We felt so cold after the match, that we stopped off at Macdonald's for a burger and warming coffee, on the way back to our Hotel.

The stadium has the appearance of a Space Ship, from the outside. It has a capacity of 80,000 but it was less than half full that night, as the match was a "dead rubber". Antony was a bit unlucky, as the great majority of Milan's first team were away in Japan, playing in the World Club Championship's. As A.C.Milan had already qualified for the Knockout Stages of the Champion's League, meant that fielding a weakened side, didn't matter a jot. As it transpired they lost 2-1 to Spanish side, Celta Vigo. Antony still got to see a fabulous goal from Milan's Superstar Brazilian, Kaka.We even thought about making the 2 hour journey by train to Turin the following night, to see Juventus play Greek side Olympiakos but train connections were too tight and we would've had to leave the match with still a half an hour, to play. We ended watching the match on TV, in our Milan Hotel.

Shame we didn't get to Turin, as Juventus thrashed Olympiakos 7-0!! Antony consoled himself by buying an A.C.Milan tracksuit, before we returned home.

Hayley chose for her "themed" day, a trip out to the beautiful city of Verona. She had considered Venice but it's a bit too far away from Milan, to fit in a day's sightseeing there. Verona below:

image.png.3737f1adda162732c2c1841f5fb465e1.png

Verona lies on the River Adige, just S.E., of Lake Garda. We got to see the tourist attraction;s of Verona's amphitheatre.

image.thumb.png.031ec7486eafcf4ca541214d2d60ada1.png

And also we got to see "Romeo and Juliet's" courtyard and balcony:

image.thumb.png.ac83016b3717c5181ee7706e42a7c867.png

The walls are covered in writing and "love letters" have been placed, in the Courtyard's brickwork. 

For my "themed" day, I chose a hopeful "snow chase" westwards towards the French border and the Alps. I planned a rail journey out to the village of Pre-Saint-Didier, obviously French sounding but firmly inside the Italian border. We took a train from Milan to Turin (amazing value of 8 Euros, then). Then took a train on to Aosta, principal city in the Aosta Valley:

image.thumb.png.6c4649d35d501392350f01322f566328.png

Then we boarded the local "rattler", to Pre-Saint-Didier.

image.thumb.png.08c132077c6883c31521bc02050c2002.png

We eventually arrived in the delightful Alpine town of Pre-Saint-Didier:

image.thumb.png.b01fcf81902014356183790ee92d999a.png

We didn't experience any falling snow but a very hard frost lasted underfoot, throughout the afternoon. We strolled around for a while, taking in the beautiful, Alpine scenery. A view of the Mont Blanc Massif, from Pre Saint Didier:

image.thumb.png.652db3be94180bebc5165b6a117d3511.png

We were only a short distance from the skiing resorts of Courmayeur and  La Thuile. We grabbed a warming coffee, in a local Hotel. The Hotel was pretty deserted, as we were still outside the majority, of the skiing season. Didn't hang around too long as the owner, gave me the "creeps". He was a bit too "Bates Motel-ish, for my liking. Told the "kids", not to ask for a shower, along with their coffee!! :nonono:

We spent the other few days of our holiday taking in the delights of Milan, Il Duomo, Milan's Cathedral:

image.thumb.png.f52c17d8d4257139fa4af2211c97598f.png

Plus, wandering around the amazing Galleria Vittorio Emanuele, Milan's luxury shopping Mall:

image.thumb.png.622266631ebac1af9a196bd31fa2c89b.png

Perhaps, Hayley enjoyed the "shopping experience" the most. Shopaholic female members would love Milan. Virtually every shop is either a clothes shop, (especially leather) Profumeria (Perfume retailers) or shoe shop. Antony, of course, enjoyed the Football aspect of the trip. Yours truly loved the stunning Alpine scenery..

The only falling snow we got to see during the week, was on the way home when our Milan to Paris express stopped at Bardonecchia, an Italian Alpine ski resort, right on the border with France. The train stopped for about 15 minutes and Hayley popped out in a mini-blizzard, to light up a "ciggy". My daughter is as much a snow "junkie", as myself!!

image.thumb.png.368276c855e02678e36dbfaf8ede4058.png

Although, Antony and Hayley found the train journey too long and "boring" (their words not mine), I loved it. They spent the whole duration of the two journeys, listening to music and playing on their Game Boys' :wallbash:

IMO, you are travelling through countryside you are unlikely to see many times, if at all again, during your lifetime. The French SNCF trains (TGV Expresses) are fast, efficient and comfortable. Paris to Milan, was a little over 7 hours and you get to view some stunning countryside. I found it fascinating going through places like Lyon and further S.E, the very scenic Chambery, before you enter the Alps.

We all had a fantastic time. I even had the chance to use my very "ropey" "O" level French on the Paris Metro, when buying some "jambon et fromage" baguettes plus the little smattering of Italian,that I know!

Now I wonder if I qualify, for a cheque from the Italian Tourist Board, for that little lot!

I really hope the Forum Hosts are ok with this post. As I stated, if the snow won't come to us, I'll try and bring it to you.

Regards,

image.png

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 7

Posted

It is the fourth time that South Ockendon has had fog, this and three times since Friday morning.  When fog comes to Thurrock it seems to come like the buses in three's or more.  The last time it has been this foggy was in late October of 2008, where there was fog for five or more consecutive days in a row. I find fog to be very restful and peaceful.  I do not know if fog in February has any effect on if the weather will be warmer or cooler.  There is a thin layer of cloud covering the light blue sky but the sunshine has not been as bright as it was on Friday and Saturday.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Another 'Clive Mendonca' of a day...unbroken sunshine and already 14.7C. Long may it continue.

Posted

Great day today. Lovely weather. Nice doing things in the garden and out and around. Heating off for a few days. Great! Obviously this does not apply for those who hide in a darkened room looking for a snow flake. Get outdoors and do stuff. 

Ok we are likely to get some chilly weather but make the most of what we have at the moment. We are only now going to get annoying cold weather from now on. 

Edited by Snipper
  • Like 3