Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

I hope my fellow Bromleyites, in alphabetical order: abbie123, Biggin (Bromley/Croydon border?),EWS(Chelsfield,Orpington), Hotspur61 (Locksbottom), Scrat (Biggin Hill) and Snowbob (Biggin Hill/New Addington, Bromley/Croydon border), can help me out here. If I've left out any Bromley Members, I apologise, my memory's not quite what it was, now!! :nonono:

The photo below shows the 119 bus route on its way from Bromley to Croydon. When I was working near East Croydon, I used to take this bus frequently from Bromley North, to my workplace. Colette and myself are convinced this photo was taken opposite St.Mark's Church, in Westmoreland Road. It then turns into Hayes Road, then into Hayes Lane, on its way to Croydon. The photo depicts the severe flooding that affected the area, in September, 1968. I was 12, at the time:

image.thumb.png.ffc2f259e6fb7fbe145da659f7941204.png

So, if any of you Bromleyites (that I mentioned, above) can help me out and confirm that, the photo was taken opposite St.Mark's Church, in Westmoreland Road. Colette and myself, would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Very interesting re. the Broom shrub @TomSE12 - I take the 353 bus from Orpington to Hayes that goes through Keston and over the common so this is a familiar sight and I never knew the origin of Bromley's name. 

I was born in Croydon in but we moved to the Kent coast when I was very young (I moved back up to SE London when I was 18, living in Woolwich, Charlton, Grove Park, Lewisham among other places before settling here).  My family are from the Bellingham / Lee Green / West Wickham / Beckenham areas, so whilst I can't place the church, I'll see if anyone recognises it! 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, EWS said:

Very interesting re. the Broom shrub @TomSE12 - I take the 353 bus from Orpington to Hayes that goes through Keston and over the common so this is a familiar sight and I never knew the origin of Bromley's name. 

I was born in Croydon in but we moved to the Kent coast when I was very young (I moved back up to SE London when I was 18, living in Woolwich, Charlton, Grove Park, Lewisham among other places before settling here).  My family are from the Bellingham / Lee Green / West Wickham / Beckenham areas, so whilst I can't place the church, I'll see if anyone recognises it! 

Yes @TomSE12, you're right. My mum remembers the flooding very well (she was 16) and says she wouldn't be surprised if she was on that bus! Similar angle, from googlemaps:

HayesRd.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Thanks TomSE12 for the history of Bromley,all good stuff.EWS Beat me to it re Westmorland Road bit and St marks church.I spent many a happy Sunday with my dear old Gran up in Durham avenue which is up Westmoreland Road and take a right just off Cumberland Road.A very nice distraction while we pray for another cold spell which seems rather elusive atm!!Mind you it is only mid February so I feel we have another month to go before the search finally moves to Winter 2019-20!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

I enjoyed reading all the history about Bromley. As you know I enjoy reading your posts @TomSE12 can I be a honouree member of Bromley? My husband is from there and we spend of time there visiting family. 

Today I took the kids to Hastings, it was very cloudy most of the time but still quite warm my son decided to wear shorts even after I warned him he might get cold and should change them, it was warm enough for shorts so he won that argument. At around midday the sun came out and it was really nice. We had a game of crazy golf which is right in the sea front and it was still pleasant. When we left the temperature was around 13. 

My husband is threatening a BBQ for tomorrow. That man would BBQ in snow if I would let him. 

• Like 3

Posted

Well, i am not losing hope for some snow after reading Tom's post about that April snowfall. I am definitely not in the  isn't this weather wonderful camp- it's just wrong for it to be so mild at this time of year. Nature will hopefully balance things out come March. A March like 2013, except a bit snowier, would be nice!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
15 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

Well, i am not losing hope for some snow after reading Tom's post about that April snowfall. I am definitely not in the  isn't this weather wonderful camp- it's just wrong for it to be so mild at this time of year. Nature will hopefully balance things out come March. A March like 2013, except a bit snowier, would be nice!

Hi Bricriu,

How about a March snowfall like this one? 

image.thumb.png.81e3a10afdd71831f74a0123f78be586.png

image.thumb.png.0582c418c23460b95943d108b0878bda.png

image.thumb.png.67fa042eb8892f3071f02db8f5c5a401.png

I recommend reading about the March 1970 snowfall, on Trevor Harley's enjoyable - The British Weather, website. There are some  excellent "stats", about that month. on there.

Let's hope for a similar snowy spell, to that one!! :whistling:

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Hi Bricriu,

How about a March snowfall like this one? 

image.thumb.png.81e3a10afdd71831f74a0123f78be586.png

image.thumb.png.0582c418c23460b95943d108b0878bda.png

image.thumb.png.67fa042eb8892f3071f02db8f5c5a401.png

I recommend reading about the March 1970 snowfall, on Trevor Harley's enjoyable - The British Weather, website. There are some  excellent "stats", about that month. on there.

Let's hope for a similar snowy spell, to that one!! :whistling:

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Hello Tom,

That would do nicely. Can you make it happen:) I will read that article you mentioned. Thanks.

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

A dry but mostly cloudy day in Central London. Still mild but a tad cooler than Friday

022BE6C6-26FD-45BF-AFCF-B4DB05001D80.jpeg

3B21BADB-D197-4FBC-B928-D99922C4A1E8.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Yesterday started clear then clouded over for a while. Turned clear again in the evening. This morning it was frosty again, now it's a clear day so far. 

What happened to it being cloudy all weekend?

Posted

It truly is the most fantistic weather day light blue skies with a but of high cloud a real useable day here and it looks set fair for the week. Can we hold onto this for the cup final weekend. Perhaps a chelsea win to boot. Doubting it though!!!! My tickets arrived yesterday cant wait oh and the man utd game tomorrow night should be fun. 

Back to the weather and this winter really is another learning curve in trying to understand the weather and ssw. Doesnt always mean our little island will be in the right place. 

Must add a huge thanks to @TomSE12 for such fun posts and enjoyment given tuis winter reading his posts. No real snow depth cup to speak of this year butbthe stories and photos have been great. 

Now roll on the spring. Never seen point of excitement of transient snow in march despite the beast from the east. 

More likely lookingbat the models the sun from south... we shall see

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Bi fold doors half open today from 1pm and still open. 

Cleaned the car, house windows open and dogs loving the warmth feel in an out from the garden all day. 

How incredible we are substituting cold and snow for sun & warmth on 17th Feb instead of soaking wet Atlantic crap.

Darren Mild Bett, emphasising the warmth pumping up from the canaries come Thursday onwards, I’ll take that if no snow is in the forecast.  Apart from light rain chance tomorrow - the week ahead looks dry across our region.. wonderful! 

Edited by Ben Lewis
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Been warm enough to have the patio doors open. Really feel like Spring is on its way, especially with the daffs starting to bloom 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Been sunny most of the day, started clouding over around 4pm. Felt very pleasant in the sunshine

CCFEBCBC-5B1C-4A49-9FAA-EC2E3ABB0547.jpeg

41CB585E-CAD4-499B-BC8B-C91E2A53D319.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
16 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Nice drop of much needed rain today. Probably not enough but better than nothing. 9.4c just now. Average late February weather. 

BBQ weekend approaching