Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

They are 'smelling the coffee' again in the Cold Thread and I think that they may be about to call the hunt ON again. 

The excitement is unbearable....... 

Is this the same coffee the met office smell, shouldn't we have easterlies and heavy snow showers by now, according to them?

• Like 1

Posted

When you look at these current European temperatures it just goes to show you how out they were. They can't even say the forecasted very cold weather just missed us!!

Screenshot_20190215-142041.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Is this the same coffee the met office smell, shouldn't we have easterlies and heavy snow showers by now, according to them?

Stockwell's is only 78p from Tesco!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

It’s another beautiful day here in Rye, it started of very cold -1 everything was covered by a thick frost and we were totally blocked in by freezing fog, people were driving around with no lights on.  it’s all cleared now and it’s a stunning afternoon 12 degrees here now.

Posted

Worth noting the 06z GFS doesn't have a single day in its 16 day run where max temperatures are below 10C for at least some parts of the this region. ECM is cooler but still probably around that 10c mark throughout the 10 day run.

So looking like whilst we may cool a touch, still going to be running decently above average for a time to come, maybe exceptionally so...

Today is basically a mid April kind of day, and the days are just getting long enough in the evening to feel a little bit spring like as well.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Beautiful spring-like sunshine here, perhaps the ground is dry enoughto play a bit of footy...? Current temperature is 10c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
3 hours ago, CanadianCoops said:

I admire anyone who cares for the elderly in care homes. As you say getting paid pittance to be the best possible carer you can be. 

My grandad was moved into a care home yesterday as he’s 92 and been poorly lately and needed more round the clock care. I had a lovely dream about him last night in his new cosy room and he said he was happy.

I woke up this morning to the sad news he passed away during his sleep. He was such a gentleman - the world’s lost another from the golden generation. I’ll be toasting a drink in honour of him tonight.

I'm so sorry for your loss. My grandad was 95 when he passed away a couple of years ago and you're right - the likes of him, we'll never see again. It's such a loss. Thinking of you. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
2 hours ago, lassie23 said:

What am I going to do with all this fat I’ve put on in preparation for a cold winter ?? It best hurry up and get here now a wee man in Austria tells me 25th Feb is when the cold returns.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
8 minutes ago, shotski said:

What am I going to do with all this fat I’ve put on in preparation for a cold winter ?? It best hurry up and get here now a wee man in Austria tells me 25th Feb is when the cold returns.

i look forward to it

• Like 1

Posted

Should be illegal to work on days so glorious! 

Posted
43 minutes ago, shotski said:

We got ten days to get to Aldi and stock up... again. I'm still trying to get through the last lot I bought in January. Whenever I see the letters SSW I'm straight into panic mode and stripping the shelves. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
51 minutes ago, shotski said:

Hi Shotski,

You and me both. I blame my Wife's cooking for my expanding waistline. Her son treated her to a slow cooker ( as a very early Mother's Day, present) and we've already had a fantastic chicken casserole with delicious dumplings. She wants to cook a beef casserole, on Sunday!!

As I stated earlier, even though it's our Anniversary today, Colette won't let me order in a takeaway for the pair of us tonight. Mindful that we're a bit short of dosh, she's insisting on cooking a meal herself, bless her!! 

Re., the frustrating weather patterns this Winter, the Models look interesting around the 22nd Feb. Heights pushing their way N.E  towards Scandinavia. But just when we look ready for "take-off", the core of heights drain away back S.W, again.

My mind goes back to the conversation I had with local Meteorologist, Ian Currie, in early January. I'm sure Ian expected more potent Northerly outbreaks, than we've seen. But he did suggest we would need a "few bites of the cherry" before seeing anything wintry of note. In a way, that wasn't too far off the mark. He didn't foresee any strong blocking over Greenland but that any resultant Northerly, would come off the back of a mid-Atlantic ridge. Which is basically what happened.

When I questioned Mr.Currie about the possibility of a Scandinavian High developing, in the second half of February, Ian thought there was a possibility but no guarantee. He did think that March would be colder than normal though, with a greater chance of seeing height rises over Greenland with perhaps a more potent Northerly, outbreak.

Let's hope Mr.Currie is right and we get a decent dumping before having to write the "obituaries", on a very frustrating Winter!!

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Beautiful day, temps hit 14c on 15th February after a very frosty start. 

More of this please weather gods if it isn’t going to snow. 

What a relief we are replacing cold and snow with sun & warmth instead of Atlantic wet crap in mid Feb.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
10 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Beautiful day, temps hit 14c on 15th February after a very frosty start. 

More of this please weather gods if it isn’t going to snow. 

What a relief we are replacing cold and snow with sun & warmth instead of Atlantic wet crap in mid Feb.

Was an amazing day in N Surrey 3 hour dog walk and my face is a bit weather beaten and dare I say it even a bit sun burnt ? 

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, EWS said:

I'm so sorry for your loss. My grandad was 95 when he passed away a couple of years ago and you're right - the likes of him, we'll never see again. It's such a loss. Thinking of you. 

Thank you I appreciate that. I’m honoured to have heard the stories, seen the pictures. You’re right. We’ve lost something as a nation in a lot of the newer generations. Not saying there aren’t lots of decent people but the selflessness and chivalry is disappearing as a common feature in daily life 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
1 hour ago, Badgers01 said:

Was an amazing day in N Surrey 3 hour dog walk and my face is a bit weather beaten and dare I say it even a bit sun burnt ? 

I work outside & me and the lads were saying how it felt like a mid spring day. 

Will get to have that long dog walk too tomorrow, be it more cloudier judging by the forecasts. 

At least no rain 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
32 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

I work outside & me and the lads were saying how it felt like a mid spring day. 

Will get to have that long dog walk too tomorrow, be it more cloudier judging by the forecasts. 

At least no rain 

I totally agree with you , absolutely stunning afternoon 14c here not a breath of wind felt like mid May, sorry to all the losers out there on the model thread who are hating this, get a life lads! head to Canada for the week if you want the cold.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Anyone else notice that weird thunderstorm between Northern Ireland and Scotland? Looks like there's some heavy precipitation in that storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Got to 12.1 here in locksbottom(shade temp) but in the sun must have been 17-18 comfortably.I can count on one hand the amount of times I was just in short sleeves working in February in the last 16 years but today was one of them.It was lovely having the warm sun on your back and with the birds singing and the flowers starting to bloom even an ardent “coldie” like myself is looking forward to spring.that said I know that the weather will do what it wants to do and I wouldn’t be surprised if March had one or two cold snaps as we only have to go back to March 2013 to remember how Spring can suddenly revert back to winter!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, zmstorm said:

Anyone else notice that weird thunderstorm between Northern Ireland and Scotland? Looks like there's some heavy precipitation in that storm.

May be it's the winter equivalent of a Spanish plume lol. Missing us to the north east, may be hitting Scotland.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all,

Up early again to have breakfast with my Wife of 9 years and a day, soon. Poor Colette is facing a 12 hour shift today, bless her!!

Well overnight Model runs seem to have drifted further away from a late Winter, wintry spell. Although, Models still show that push of heights to the N.E., around about 22nd Feb nut they soon retreat back S.W, again.

I'm still holding out for a wintry spell in March, courtesy of Ian Currie's Greenland height rises and a resultant snowy, Northerly:whistling:Sorry Lauren and all, not ready for Spring just yet!! :nonono:

And on that note, if the snow wont come to us, I'll have to bring snow to the masses!! Below, are another couple of photos from Ian Currie's, Kent and Surrey Weather books. Firstly a photo of late snowfall, in my Home Borough of Bromley, N.W.Kent. This snowfall occurred on 26th April, 1950. This photo was taken at Hayes Common, it could well be Croydon Road?? The heavy. wet clinging snow, brought down hundreds of miles of telephone wires, across Kent.

image.thumb.png.76f0602d38fdf4b534262238c6aefcef.png

An area of Low pressure, tracked S.E down the North Sea, from Iceland.

image.thumb.png.d490615e928f27407cbe84a5d3f18159.png

Cold air spread south on the 25th and as a wave ran along the English Channel, rain accompanied by strong winds, turned to heavy, wet snow. This caused much traffic disruption and brought down many telephone and electricity lines. Reports of 15 cms of snow were recorded from Salisbury, over to Faversham.

Below is a photo of the result of snowfall, from the same event. It was taken on the road between Hindhead and Farnham. It shows the Haslemere to Aldershot bus, having skidded off the road:

image.thumb.png.683830416a07e2aa7e6642ded7e21302.png

These photos were reproduced from the Kent and Surrey County Weather Books respectively, with the very kind permission of Co-Author, Ian Currie.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 3

Posted

I hope my fellow Bromleyites, in alphabetical order: abbie123, Biggin (Bromley/Croydon border?),EWS(Chelsfield,Orpington), Hotspur61 (Locksbottom), Scrat (Biggin Hill) and Snowbob (Biggin Hill/New Addington, Bromley/Croydon border), can help me out here. If I've left out any Bromley Members, I apologise, my memory's not quite what it was, now!! :nonono:

Btw, I hope you all enjoyed the photo of Hayes Common, in the snow, I'm sure you all know the road well.

Just a bit of local history first. Bromley's name is derived from the Broom shrub. This grows in abundance on the Common land, to the South of Bromley Town, Centre. When I was younger, I used to enjoy walking through the Commons, around Keston and Hayes. No doubt, if the weather remains Springlike, we'll soon see it's bright yellow flowers, across the Borough's Common Land. Also, the local Housing Association, Broomleigh, takes its name from this shrub.

image.thumb.png.e4584d1a129a8569e0ba052236d6907c.png

Now that poser, for my fellow Bromleyites. Myself and my Wife, Colette, were born, raised, educated and have spent most of our lives, in the Bromley area. Although, we now live in the Lewisham Borough but only a short distance from the Bromley border.

The photo below shows the 119 bus route on its way from Bromley to Croydon. When I was working near East Croydon, I used to take this bus frequently from Bromley North, to my workplace. Colette and myself are convinced this photo was taken opposite St.Mark's Church, in Westmoreland Road. It then turns into Hayes Road, then into Hayes Lane, on its way to Croydon. The photo depicts the severe flooding that affected the area, in September, 1968. I was 12, at the time:

image.thumb.png.ffc2f259e6fb7fbe145da659f7941204.png

The culprit was a deepening depression, on the S.W. tip of the U.K. and it broke the Summer heat, in spectacular fashion. Violent thunderstorms and heavy rain developed on Saturday 14th September. This heavy, thundery rain, continued for some time. So much so that the local Rivers, Ravensbourne and its tributary, the River Quaggy, broke their banks and caused widespread flooding, throughout the Borough of Bromley. I lived near Sundridge Park Golf Course , at the time and the River Quaggy, runs through there. It then runs on into Chinbrook Park, near Grove Park. The flooding in the park, was unbelievable!! The floodwaters were as high as the top of lampposts, in the park. A crazy weather event!!

So, if any of you Bromleyites (that I mentioned, above) can help me out and confirm that, the photo was taken opposite St.Mark's Church, in Westmoreland Road. Colette and myself, would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Strangely, Ian Currie has included this photo in his Surrey County Weather Book. Now Colette and myself, are Bromley through and through. No offence to Surrey Members but we consider ourselves, Kentish born and products of the Garden of England County.But I've just found out that Kent has lost that title, to Yorkshire!!

We don't even refer to ourselves as, Sarrf-East Londoners!!  :nonono:

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 4