Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
On 13/02/2019 at 20:37, lassie23 said:

Very dry soil on the allotment this afternoon especially as we should have had the wettest period of the year. Could be problems ahead. Bonkers warm there today though for mid February. 14.2c

I have a weather station there and interestingly the lowest temperature recorded all winter was - 4.2c. Even for South London thats pretty poor. 

The word boring springs to mind.  

DSC_0176.JPG

Edited by Wimbledon88
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
23 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Very dry soil on the allotment this afternoon especially as we should have had the wettest period of the year. Could be problems ahead. Bonkers warm there today though for mid February. 14.2c

I have a weather station there and interestingly the lowest temperature recorded all winter was - 4.2c. Even for South London thats pretty poor. 

The word boring springs to mind.  

DSC_0176.JPG

What did i say, the quote is blank lol

Posted
1 hour ago, Katrine Basso said:

Thank you Reefseeker for you kind understanding and kind wishes.  Yes it has been a glorious sunny day in South Ockendon and tomorrow looks like it is going to be the same.  I hope that your CFS flare-ups are becoming less frequent. I have never been to VidCon (as I would find the journey going there stressful and I do not like crowds.  I hope that the three-day VidCon event will go well and that the Southwestern train service will be running its regular service without any hiccups. The only time I have been to a convention was a Star Wars one and that was was either in early 2000.  I have also been to Star Trek TNG exhibition in the mid 90's.

Conventions look like a lot of fun. No idea what to expect with this one, it will be a new experience. As you say, travelling is such hard work, I also don't like having to talk to people a lot, find it really draining. After a big event like this, or even if I am teaching late afternoon/early evening it can take me a day or two to recover, it's why I am part-time at work.

A very cool feeling evening again after a beautiful day, I wonder if there will be another frost. Have a lovely evening everyone:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Stunning day here today. 

A chance for the bogged fields to dry out and ease up on those muddy dog walks. 

Still a saturated ground around here from the soaking over the last few weeks, so will take another week or so providing it doesn’t rain. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
On 13/02/2019 at 19:06, Badgers01 said:

This is an old chestnut and people take their own slant but in meteorology winter ends when February does.

But that's only to make the meteorological statistics simpler to analyse ie splitting the seasons into equal quarters based upon the months of the year, solely based upon the Gregorian calendar. However, geographically and astronomically, due to the earth's tilt and distance from the sun during the year the dates of the astronomical seasons are based upon physics/ observations that underpinned the calculations of the Julian calendar. 

It's not really an "old chestnut" it's based upon scientific fact... The metrological seasons have only been established for convenience of establishing seasonal/ monthly statistics within a specified time frame in the christmas pudding for the benefit of commerce and various weather reliant industries, whereas the physics of the astronomical seasons cannot be changed and are fixed by our tilt, speed of orbit around the sun and speed of rotation. 

And yes, everyone might have a "take" on it, but as a geographer, scientist and historian, you can't escape physics. Therefore, I'll stand by my original point that winter doesn't end until around or on 21st March.

Edited by John Stevens

Posted

The unusual thing about this setup is mild days and very clear days. Normalliy I associate 12-14c at this time with higher mins and lots of cloud cover.

This time we are getting subzero nights and wonderful sunny days. Really has been Spring like today, no complaints at all here.

Despite how meh the winter has been, we have managed more Frost's than you'd expect.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
29 minutes ago, John Stevens said:

But that's only to make the meteorological statistics simpler to analyse ie splitting the seasons into equal quarters based upon the months of the year, solely based upon the Gregorian calendar. However, geographically and astronomically, due to the earth's tilt and distance from the sun during the year the dates of the astronomical seasons are based upon physics/ observations that underpinned the calculations of the Julian calendar. 

It's not really an "old chestnut" it's based upon scientific fact... The metrological seasons have only been established for convenience of establishing seasonal/ monthly statistics within a specified time frame in the christmas pudding for the benefit of commerce and various weather reliant industries, whereas the physics of the astronomical seasons cannot be changed and are fixed by our tilt, speed of orbit around the sun and speed of rotation. 

And yes, everyone might have a "take" on it, but as a geographer, scientist and historian, you can't escape physics. Therefore, I'll stand by my original point that winter doesn't end until around or on 21st March.

Well great if that works for you , but for me winter does not begin on the 21st of Dec or summer end on the 21st of September and Spring for me has definitely sprung before the 21st of March. I prefer the accepted scientific meteorological definition of the seasons. 

Edited by Badgers01
Typo !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
19 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

Well great if that works for you , but for me winter does not begin on the 21st of Dec or summer end on the 21st of September and Spring for me has definitely sprung before the 21st of March. I prefer the accepted scientific meteorological definition of the seasons. 

Respect your POV, but both have equally accepted scientific basis...hey hum, at the end of the day neither is actually wrong... .. Also apologies.... Not quite sure where the "Christmas pudding" reference popped up in my original reply... Predictive text of some obscure nature

Edited by John Stevens

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Once again a sharp frost this morning 

All surfaces white.

Currently -0.8 dropped to -2.3 

Looks like winter but will feel like spring once that suns up today..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather

Right old battle this morning: team sunshine versus team fog. I know who I’ve got money on for victory !!

FD994657-1086-49C0-B549-306ADEE76EFA.jpeg

Edited by bluebell
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Up very early with my Wife, before she set off for her early morning shift, at a Residential Care Home, in Chislehurst.

It's a very special day for myself and Colette, it's our 9th Wedding Anniversary.

I first met my Wife when out shopping with my sister, Angela. Angela and Colette were friends and ex-classmates when they were at School together in Bromley. Angela had told me about this very attractive friend she had, who she thought resembled, actress Julia Roberts. 

image.thumb.png.5d21e25e894d08db1c80f07332a4f624.png

I first "clapped" eyes on Colette, when she was standing next to the Baguettes, in Waitrose. She had just been on holiday and was very taken with her very tanned, long and slender, Baguettes. My sister invited Colette to come and have a "cuppa", back at our parents house after shopping. We seemed to hit it off, straight away. I walked her home afterwards and was struck by her very attractive eyes and hair, indeed very Julia Roberts like!!

Colette wrote to me a week later, asking if I'd like to meet her for a coffee. My sister and I invited her to our parents house and we cooked her a lovely Italian meal of Pasta and Meatballs. We saw each other for a few times afterwards but I was married and my Wife at the time, was very ill with Huntington's Disease. 

Myself and Colette, eventually started seeing each other again but it was a very on/off relationship. Sadly, my first Wife died of complications, due to HD in 2008. Colette and myself finally got married in 2010, we even had a sprinkling of snow, outside the Registry Office in Sidcup, N.W.Kent. A couple of "snaps", from that day.

image.thumb.png.ced1360d6e68ea8308c518e803f67be3.png

Us, with Colette's son, a gentle giant of a guy!!

image.thumb.png.41476d98f86fc7981b6c09069bff70fb.png

I was with Colette on the evening she finally got a diagnosis for her son's problems. She'd fought long and hard to get Doctor's and Teachers to understand that her son, had major problems. She was on her own at the time and felt very alone, coping with all these difficulties. She came out of that final assessment looking relieved but saddened, at the same time. Her son had been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. She felt relieved in a way, as it proved she wasn't "going mad", as some Doctors had implied.

Our relationship has been very difficult at times. I think our families serious health issues, came between us!!

But I have nothing but praise for my Wife, in the way which she has nursed me back to health, after my Haemorrhagic Stroke of September 2015. It was a very traumatic time for Colette. She was present at King's College Hospital when I "died" twice and was "shoved" out of my room, while Doctors/Nurses, resuscitated me.

She has "stepped up to the plate" many times during my recovery. She had to fill in umpteen forms, fighting to obtain Disability Benefit, for me. She's been like a "dog with a bone", trying to get me extra Physiotherapy appointments with Hospital Departments!!

I really hope she doesn't get "bullied" into working this afternoon, as I would like us to have some time together, on our "special day". I wanted us to have a quiet takeaway together tonight but Colette is insisting on cooking us a meal. That's my stubborn Wife, for you.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
11 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Up very early with my Wife, before she set off for her early morning shift, at a Residential Care Home, in Chislehurst.

It's a very special day for myself and Colette, it's our 9th Wedding Anniversary.

Happy anniversary, Tom & Colette - I hope you have a lovely day!

I went out for an early morning walk - it was 2C when I left, beautiful sunshie and blue sky, and I managed to slip quite badly on some ice walking down a steep pavement. If you're a klutz like me, please be careful this morning! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 minutes ago, EWS said:

Happy anniversary, Tom & Colette - I hope you have a lovely day!

I went out for an early morning walk - it was 2C when I left, beautiful sunshie and blue sky, and I managed to slip quite badly on some ice walking down a steep pavement. If you're a klutz like me, please be careful this morning! 

I had a fall this morning, wasn't the frost though. Had to run for the bus, and one of my legs decided not to work.

Posted
19 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Happy anniversary.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
10 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I had a fall this morning, wasn't the frost though. Had to run for the bus, and one of my legs decided not to work.

Hope you're okay?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Much thanks, to Alexis and EWS, above ^^^^^. Hope both of you ladies, are ok after your falls!!

Colette had to go off to work today with a nasty cold and an eye infection, to boot. One of the viral hazards, of working in a Residential Care Home for the elderly and infirmed. She's exposed to all manner of nasty illnesses, for which she gets paid, an absolute pittance!!

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Hope you're okay?

Yep just a few scratches on my left hand, and probably sore shoulders from tomorrow morning, going by last time.

Posted
2 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Much thanks, to Alexis and EWS, above ^^^^^. Hope both of you ladies, are ok after your falls!!

Colette had to go off to work today with a nasty cold and an eye infection, to boot. One of the viral hazards, of working in a Residential Care Home for the elderly and infirmed. She's exposed to all manner of nasty illnesses, for which she gets paid, an absolute pittance!!

Regards,

Tom. 

I admire anyone who cares for the elderly in care homes. As you say getting paid pittance to be the best possible carer you can be. 

My grandad was moved into a care home yesterday as he’s 92 and been poorly lately and needed more round the clock care. I had a lovely dream about him last night in his new cosy room and he said he was happy.

I woke up this morning to the sad news he passed away during his sleep. He was such a gentleman - the world’s lost another from the golden generation. I’ll be toasting a drink in honour of him tonight.

• Like 4