Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted

Well. The radar suggest some heavy rain heading my way. It's already heavy. Does this mean I'd better get my canoe out?! Shame it wasn't like this when we were supposed to get snow!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Anyone seen the latest Met office update ? Looks pretty decent for our area. From 13th Feb to 22nd Feb it mentions colder than average temps in the South and East with overnight frosts, and a possibility of snow showers from the East. Then in the later period says cold and blocked with snow potential into March!

Now I know these updates haven't exactly covered themselves in glory in recent weeks but interesting nonetheless, does anyone know which models the Met are using to ascertain the possibility of snow showers next week? As I can't see the models we have access to showing this

• Like 5

Posted

After almost getting blown over walking along the beach front I can confirm...it's windy. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
5 hours ago, Ben Lewis said:

Usual media hype because some wet and windy weather has been given a name. This time Eric. 

Wouldnt of even made a newsworthy headline on teletex back in the day. Oh the good old days when a 50mph wind gust was just that... a wind gust. 

Comment invalid.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/17419090.tree-falls-on-double-decker-bus-in-poole/

Multiple trees down around this area.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Ben Lewis said:

Bit windy, bit Wet and mild Atlantic dross. Default UK winter in full swing.

Missing those minus frosty mornings of last week. 

Usual media hype because some wet and windy weather has been given a name. This time Eric. 

Wouldnt of even made a newsworthy headline on teletex back in the day. Oh the good old days when a 50mph wind gust was just that... a wind gust. 

Have to disagree with this..... lots of trees down in this area, some flooding etc its prob much worse down here towards the coast compared to where you are

Edited by steveinsussex

Posted

Very wet day here, upto 30mm here now which makes it one of the wettest days of the last 6 months and probably the wettest day of the winter thus far. Looking at the models we are about to go from a very wet spell, into a very dry spell in the next 7-10 days! May not have too much more in the way of rainfall this month after Sunday...kind of like December was very front loaded.

Also probably the windiest I've seen in this area since moving here in mid 2017.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

At my dads house in Bexhill, we have an exposed corner path/road near Tesco Express, that acts as a wind funnel, creating a localised area of strong winds when they are blowing from the SW (it faces the seafront). It was so strong today that it nearly blew me over, and the rain felt like needles!

Posted
48 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Wow. Lucky escape for some people there. 

Yes, agreed, very poor weather now in the capital aswell. Lots of local flooding with many quite large branches down. Very nasty squalls too. 

Edited by Wimbledon88

Posted
1 hour ago, Kentspur said:

Anyone seen the latest Met office update ? Looks pretty decent for our area. From 13th Feb to 22nd Feb it mentions colder than average temps in the South and East with overnight frosts, and a possibility of snow showers from the East. Then in the later period says cold and blocked with snow potential into March!

Now I know these updates haven't exactly covered themselves in glory in recent weeks but interesting nonetheless, does anyone know which models the Met are using to ascertain the possibility of snow showers next week? As I can't see the models we have access to showing this

Seen that earlier. Certainly interesting. Let's see if its the same in a few days time. I agree that they haven't been the best in recent months but, at the end of the day, they are the experts. Certainly seems bullish.

They have access to much more detailed and analogous information than we can see. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL

In the midst of this squall - the rain!!

squall.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
28 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

At my dads house in Bexhill, we have an exposed corner path/road near Tesco Express, that acts as a wind funnel, creating a localised area of strong winds when they are blowing from the SW (it faces the seafront). It was so strong today that it nearly blew me over, and the rain felt like needles!

Heh Lightning Lover. I was up Galley Hill this afternoon and you struggled to breathe and speak it was so windy ! Had a whale of a time up there ! I'm trying to upload a video I took.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Horrible day here in locksbottom.Light rain and drizzle this morning gave way to persistent rain from early afternoon and about 4ish very heavy rain.max temp was a mild 11.6 but didn’t feel that warm in the strong wind.looks a better day tomorrow but more rain Sunday.after a very dry January it has been an incredibly wet first 8 days of February!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Pounding rain and wind. Proper February storm. I'm worried for some of the huge trees around here, looking precarious enough as it is in light winds and the snow hasn't helped.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Blowing a hoolie outside, some serious gusts

Posted

Plenty of wild weather around today in the Surrey Hills. Warnings from the MO well justified in my view; lack of Armageddon in one's own back garden not really being enough to say warnings were misplaced.   

Very mild now, relatively calm, rain has stopped.  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

The wind took the edge off the temperature today, despite it being officially mild it actually felt cod.

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

The wind took the edge off the temperature today, despite it being officially mild it actually felt cod.

Thats sounds a bit fishy Lass

Posted

It turns out that my new job is absolutely fantastic for storms. The office has skylights so the rain is very audible and, better yet, the wind whistles through the vents in true Hollywood sound effect style. It's also in an elevated position over looking the sea, so it's nice and exposed.

A lively spring, please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Totally agree with our "own", Daniel. A trip to Specsavers for some of those individuals on the MAD thread, followed by an appointment, with a Psychiatrist. Very strange behaviour!!:crazy:

I thought it had started to be accepted that we were unlikely to see anything much colder, until we hit the second half of February?? Most of the Models are just about getting to mid-month, now.

But still the "doom merchants", are spouting their nonsense. It's only the weather, for pete's sake.

Anyway, as an antidote to all that negativity. Below, something for all us, snow lovers. Genesis, post Peter Gabriel and with Phil Collins on lead vocals, from the "And then there were three" album. The delightful, "Snowbound". Enjoy.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Nice start to the day here. 

At least one good day to come for the weekend for those of us that work. 

Tomorrow’s looking pretty dire, rain and 5c