Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted

Still a good 2 inches of snow here in sheltered spots, which firmed up with the overnight frost. Here's two pics of New Ash Green sports field, one taken on Thursday afternoon and the other on Friday night of the rugby training area and petanque pistes - not much training took place though!

If you're you're looking for a fix of more weather drama, turn your attention to the winter storm moving through California at the moment. This has EVERYHING - torrential flooding rain, mudslides, six feet of mountain snow, thunderstorms and a tornado - can't say I'm not jealous! People have been ordered to stay in their homes in the tornado area and have been evacuated from flooded areas. I'm following this via the NWS Los Angeles twitter feed. the PCH mentioned in the screenshot here is the Pacific Coast Highway, this is the equivalent of the North or South circular being shut. :help:

Febsnow1.jpg

Febsnow2.jpg

Screen shot 2019-02-03 at 15.34.21.png

• Like 2

Posted

Kingston riverside was packed this afternoon with people enjoying a walk in the beautiful winter sunshine; car temp said 6 degrees and out of the sun it felt very chilly.

IMG_20190203_153641.jpg

IMG_20190203_153622.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

The sun did less damage today than I thought it would. Enough snow still around here to keep me happy...just taken this pic ❄️

C8B03865-57F7-4529-8D10-78033F8FD5E6.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Evening all,

Just had a long chat with local Weatherman, Ian Currie. But I'll post up the details of our chat after dinner, for fear of it getting burnt again.

Regards,

Tom  :hi:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

GFS P 12z is interesting from 144h which is on par with the latest ECM 12z output...........Let's see if ECM goes for an Easterly like GFS P......In fantasy land realms time wise, but going with my mid Feb Easterly change. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Very poor here compared to many in the SE, didn't even manage 1cm at the end and what fell was slushy stuff that melted quickly. Did much better last winter and this winter has been poor, 5 frosty nights almost 1cm of snow.......not good. On the plus, BBQ weather next week

Posted
1 minute ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Shame but same as you....However better rat spotting?

They are out in force tonight. four and counting knew I shouldn't have thrown my couscous dinner for the birds

Posted

I'm out my nut mate 2 day conference home but fu caked...could be messy an barred soon:cold::cold::oldgrin::closedeyes:

lol have a good one if that's possible at a conference buddy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Everyone's mate?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Thats marmite isn't it

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Surrey said:

I don't think winter is done with us yet.. Easterly winds are notorious for being late to the party..

Im experienced more easterly winds in Feb and April than any other month in winter 

Shame they can't turn up on the 21st of december 

31 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Where is everyone mate...watching Snowmelt?

lol my snow has been history for a while now

Posted
5 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

As I stated earlier, I had a long chat with local Meteorologist Ian Currie, a short while ago. 

We first discussed Ian's February LRF, which he issued about 10 days ago. Mr,Currie is very content with the way it is shaping up at the moment. Early cold soon giving way to milder and unsettled weather which is likely to persist, until around mid-month.

Then turning more settled ,with perhaps heights building close to the UK (Sorry Paul S.,something I didn't mention in my PM, to you). There's still a chance of Scandinavian height rises but in Ian's eyes at the moment, that has to be the outsider. Also, unlikely to be any height rises over Greenland, any time soon. The Northern arm of the Jet Stream, a little to strong for that at the moment.

But Ian did go on to suggest we could be looking at a colder than normal March with heights retrogressing to Greenland and a more definitive Northerly, could be the result.

I know, another case of "Jam Tomorrow". Anyway, don't throw in the towel, just yet. Remember last year!! It will be worth the wait, if we get one of these:

image.png.088e6472a71fcb4cebcaf5e398ca627f.pngrather than, one of these: image.png.5c4565b9c8c6cafc70c0ac3057bd6a65.png

But if that scenario does come to FRUITion be sure to CONSERVE, your snow!!

Ian did mention that the 4 members that were interested in obtaining a copy of one of his County Weather Book's, have yet to be in touch with him. I asked Ian what versions does he still have "knocking about". As I stated a while ago, this series is now out of print. I thought Ian still has a few SURREY copies but they've now all gone due to the fact that Ian has held quite a few talks in the County, recently. He sells his books, at the talks.

He still has some copies of the following, from that series of books: BERKSHIRE, HAMPSHIRE/I.O.W and KENT.

Here is the link to Ian's website, where you'll find his email details, on his Frosted Earth website:

http://www.frostedearth.co.uk/contact/

Just drop Ian a line, he's a very affable guy. Ian told me he'll charge our members £11. You'll get a copy of your preferred County Book (Ian will personally sign it, if you so wish) Also, Ian will throw in an edition of his Quarterly Magazine, Weather Eye:

image.png.a3169ab792658735cf443c6ff1895883.png

Believe me, that really is incredible value. I have both the Kent and Surrey editions. The Kent version is around 180 pages long. The Surrey version nigh on 100 pages long. And those photos I posted up the other day, are accompanied by some very informative text, full of amazing "stats".

I think you may still be able to obtain copies of the following, on Amazon: BUCKS, DORSET, NORFOLK/SUFFOLK, SURREY and SUSSEX. 

Ian also mentioned he still has a Weather slot on BBC Radio SURREY/SUSSEX. He appears on the DIGIT, Gardening programme, normally on the last Sunday in the month. The programme runs from 9 AM until NOON. Ian normally comes on, between 9.48 and 10. See the link below to that Gardening programme, when Ian appeared on SUN.27th JAN.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06wtptq

I'm sorry if that wasn't the update, you were hoping to hear but I can't make a :

image.thumb.png.2d75ea13c232061cb2f31de8e45b6259.png out of a image.png.bed6aa2c717f345b2c995e75bde3d538.png

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Don't think many will be disappointed as it matches the current output from the models.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
10 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Shame they can't turn up on the 21st of december 

lol my snow has been history for a while now

Not cold enough in the east in December. Cold has to come down from the north to eastern Europe first.

Posted

Jesus Christ 

1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

Ay up all my snow has gone  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-42173356/footage-captures-rats-around-bin-bags-in-harrow-car-park

not that far from where i live lol

all half cm of it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Today was one of the most beautiful winter days I’ve seen in a long time very cold and very very sunny, the kids went out to play for a few hours which they haven’t really had much of an opportunity to do over winter I cleaned my car out it was getting to the stage where I couldn’t find the kids any more. I’m looking forward to some warmth but maybe a huge snippet of cold thrown in for good measure. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

I don't have a problem with rats. Not unless they're Ratus turdus geldofii, of course!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Wow glad I've never seen that. Seen one about every now and then a few times, but not a whole nest at once.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Thanks for the update TomSE12 from Ian Currie-as you say  not what we were hoping to here but tbh he is only human and with all due respect hope the High pressure that possibly moves in next weekend moves up to Scandinavia and then provides us with a desired Easterly or North easterly lol-We can live in hope.I think the SSW Late December/early jan has made it even harder to make forecasts as MJOs are in a favourable position yet as you say Northern arm of jet sadly not allowing pressure either to our nw or ne to rise.maybe that will change come mid month but who knows.

if you haven’t done already nip into sw and central southern thread to look at some stunning pics.So pleased that they got one of their best snowfalls in recent years as they have probably been more snow starved than us in SE thread!,

• Like 3