Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Certainly goes quiet in here, when the snow stops falling. Loving the pics guys, it really is beautiful, when the landscape is magically transformed. Hoping that there will still be surprise's in store for everyone before winter is out. I see over in america, they're expecting quite a warm up, temps ranging from 40f to above 60f, massive contrast to what they have just endured, maybe this will aid in getting the canadian pv to relocate somewhere else, thus allowing our siberian high to develop, and some lovely bone chilling easterlies. One can dream

• Like 5

Posted

Beautiful blue skies this morning with frost on all surfaces but some clouds now forming to the north east. So cold in our lounge that I am sitting covered in a blanket. Now, should I venture out in search of snow or should I just stay snuggled on the sofa....?

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 4

Posted

Beautiful winters morning. A hard frost and still quite a bit of snow in the fields. Great walking for the dog to. He loves the snow and ice and best bit with the ground frozen is he doesn't get very muddy ☺

• Like 2

Posted

Lovely here this morning too. Got down to -2c overnight with a hard frost. 

See some parts over towards Salisbury Plain got down to -11c! 

Enjoting today before the wet and windy weather arrives for the next few days

Edited by lottiekent
  • Like 3

Posted

-5.7 recorded here last night which equals Wednesday night for the coldest of the winter.

Looking back, Friday really destroyed a large part of our snowcover. There was a lot of liquid PPN mixed in during the evening and this reduced the lying snow to around 4cm, as well as clearing all busier roads. Had a total of 12.8mm PPN which actually ranks as one of my highest PPN days if the winter.

Yesterday was a steady thaw with all snow on paved areas disappearing in places which received sun after about 11am. 

Still treacherous in areas that did not receive much sun as the slushy mess has frozen solid.

Lots of avalanches yesterday as slabs of frozen snow and ice plunged from pitched roofs: quite a loud rumbling it made too and deposited abiut 5cm of ice on the front path!

Anyway, expect further thawing today and then for it to be washed away when milder air and rain pushes in.

• Like 1

Posted

Cold overnight and brilliant sunshine this morning but strangely no frost.

The road out of the close is still snow and icy. 

Today is day 6 of continual snow cover with 3 separate snow events. I can’t complain about that ❄️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Fred was born 12 noon 1sr Feb. Pic of him just before 2 days old. Out look not good

IMG_20190203_110656.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Not sure why people are so down beat at the min. For us that was a cracking cold spell, very surprising considering it came for on the north. I've had three snowfalls, mostly word only landing in the hills of course. But two had very slight local accumulations. I'm including the first mini cool down in that. The first low, and the third low left slight accumulations here. The last one, even though it rained on top. I think it will warm up this week, then go back down. That cold in the states was just to strong for the Atlantic to hold back.

• Like 2

Posted

I see the MetO have backtracked from any possible E or NE winds for now. I am still expecting changes to start showing around mid February. Don't put your winter gear away just yet.

• Like 4

Posted
21 minutes ago, yamkin said:

I see the MetO have backtracked from any possible E or NE winds for now. I am still expecting changes to start showing around mid February. Don't put your winter gear away just yet.

Nah it will be a greeny block this time, and I don't think it's to far away either. Already some sings in the EC. The north Atlantic high comes down, and will meet a ridge sent up by the Azores, behind the second Atlantic low.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds
15 minutes ago, yamkin said:

Signs of negative NAO towards mid to late feb so hopefully that can actually happen so we get smashed with brutal easterly winds and snow like last year! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

14 hours ago, DAVE_ALLEN said:

S58pUAyEQZCF5hEVI4tGFg_thumb_1f25f.thumb.jpg.0f309ec64bf398559ac269e8998428ea.jpg

Some of the best snowy pics I've taken in a long time. A good 8-12cm of lying snow today. Beautiful in the sunshine. Leith Hill, Surrey

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1ee9c.jpg

VR+F3fYtTe6F43bkkThixQ_thumb_1f076.jpg

wjljELoORzWubcZMbRHyjQ_thumb_1f05d.jpg

zEX5B1ltSW2mEaOBra0bpg_thumb_1f15c.jpg

avX2BGZXRpeMqfFDe80mmQ_thumb_1f078.jpg

s+1QIESdQGGYHsdiHA0zig_thumb_1f082.jpg

LVqQMOMeTqq28DDmR6Fx9A_thumb_1f24b.jpg

Cq5hzCysQsy7kX1xyisEYg_thumb_1f098.jpg

Nice to see you were at large   . Great photos!

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 3

Posted
35 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Exact opposite

GFSP13EU06_348_1.png

16 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Nah it will be a greeny block this time, and I don't think it's to far away either. Already some sings in the EC. The north Atlantic high comes down, and will meet a ridge sent up by the Azores, behind the second Atlantic low.

Rather like this chart which I only saw after my original post. But I do expect it to be more robust, if  this happens.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather
1 hour ago, yamkin said:

Thurrock did not have a cold night due to cloud as when I woke up, there was no sign of frost. It seems Thurrock has it own micro climate making it very difficult to forecast and the Met Office nearest weather station for this area is in Dartford in Kent.  There is also the river Thames between Thurrock and Dartford.  Dartford is also slightly more hillier than Thurrock.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.
29 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Personally I'd like to see both - a broad ridge from North West Russia to Southern Greenland. 

If we discount the next 10 days, due to the Atlantic spell, we are starting to run out of time for prolonged and sustained cold though. Sure we can have potent short spells until probably early April and snow that will quickly melt afterwards for even longer.

In the CET record, if the parameter of a CET maximum temperature of <1C is used, there have been about 165 days in February in the record (from some time in the 1870's) compared to 20 in March - I think 3 were last year. 

Therefore for me, late mid February to early March please. I'll be looking for warm Spring days afterwards, much more than frost and snow.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

Not sure why people are so down beat at the min. For us that was a cracking cold spell, very surprising considering it came for on the north. I've had three snowfalls, mostly word only landing in the hills of course. But two had very slight local accumulations. I'm including the first mini cool down in that. The first low, and the third low left slight accumulations here. The last one, even though it rained on top. I think it will warm up this week, then go back down. That cold in the states was just to strong for the Atlantic to hold back.

I think it's the inevitable come down following the snow!

I'm very happy with what I got: lying snow has been very rare here over the past twenty years and this is the fourth morning this year with snowcover in the back garden.

Always a bit sad to see it go though!

• Like 2

Posted

Well on behalf of most people in South and West London , goodbye cold spell, you will not be missed. Total non-event. 

Looks like Atlantic kicking into gear at last, a succession of low pressure systems heading our way at last. At least no slug Euro High around. 

If we can't have snow then bring on the wind and the rain. Proper lively weather. 

No more waiting on it to get dark so the temperature drops by 1c and the rain turns to sleet!

Edited by Wimbledon88
  • Like 3

Posted

In terms of IMBY, this cold spell has given me the greatest snow depths since December 2010, albeit I was living in a different area then.  Shame this cold spell is going out on a whimper, rather than a snowy breakdown!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

It’s been okay, always love the build up and when it comes off, even better. Off to the Biggin Hill fields with the mad Spaniel and my youngest and see what’s left.

Keston ponds still frozen with snow on top, nice to see. 

My money is on next year .