SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Fred's still ok thanks for asking folks

IMG_20190202_120529.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Very poor here in East London. No lying snow unfortunately. 

My university in the west of the city had a good 4cm on the ground yesterday. Seems like west and south London did pretty well. 

Next week shows temperatures up to 11C. As a cold lover I prefer frigid easterlies for proper cold so I welcome the mild weather next week. Better than 5C and a slush fest. Glad some folk got a good snow event though.

Edited by Zesyph
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Am I the only one to find the Netweather Seven Day forecasts a tad frustrating!  For example, our area was given 60 percent chance of snow overnight and into the morning and 90 percent between 9  am and 12pm  but not even a flake!   The predicted temperatures tonight are scary cold...    -8  and as we are in a micro climate frost pocket here, that could  well be much colder.    Chesham was in the news twice  over the years as being the coldest place in the UK at -21.  Odd for a  little market town nestling in the Chilterns!     My husband said that the BBC weather is predicting a rapid thaw. We have horses, so making plans how best to care for them  means knowing what the short term forecasts will be. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Looks like the Ridge in Hastings got a small pasting last night! We are Driving along it now! We are heading off to Kent today to blue water shopping area. I hope everyone enjoys the remainder of their day.

the current temperature (on the car reading) is 5c.

Edited by LightningLover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Battle is covered!

Posted
1 hour ago, Unused sledge said:

im in blackfen lauren ...roads are absolutely fine as its nearly all gone..alan

Ahh, I grew up in Blackfen, I used to live in Days Lane.  I still miss living there!

• Like 1

Posted

Wow, shower incoming here right now probably sleet as dew point is slightly too high but it's gotten extremely dark as it approaches! Like the sun just set and it's dusk in about 2 minutes

Posted

wow, didn't think it was possible but it's currently snowing, albeit a bit sleety, with a dew point above freezing! surely my dew point reading of 1c must be wrong?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Afternoon all,

When I saw my Wife off at the front door this morning, as she left at 6.30 to start her early morning shift, at a Residential Care Home in Chislehurst, I warned her not to get "bullied" into working this afternoon, due to staff "throwing a sickie" with "faux weather" claims!! Already the snow was melting in our Close, at 6.30 this morning.

About an hour ago I got a text to say she'd been "press ganged" (my words), into working until 7 PM because they were short staffed with some staff not being able to get in because of snow!! I recently looked out of my front door and we have just a slither of snow on the pavement opposite, that faces N.E, and that's it!!

A lot of the staff live within a mile of the Home, on the Chislehurst/Elmstead Woods border and I'm sure there isn't much snow left now, in the area. Certainly not enough to make it impossible to walk under a mile to work!!

Colette feels obliged to stay on as she is a Senior now, and responsible for handing out medication.

In the heavy snow of  December 2010, Colette was an "ordinary" Carer at the Home and on two occasions I walked the two and a half miles to Elmstead Lane with Colette, in 2 to 3 inches of snow. Then she walked back again in the evening, after all buses were taken off the road, due to the snowy conditions.

I find it PATHETIC, when people use such lame weather excuses, for not getting into work.!!

I would love to still be able to work but after my Haemorrhagic Stroke, that's impossible.

But, as we know employees in the Care Industry are very poorly payed. And as the saying goes, "You pay peanuts, you get Monkeys (with the exception of my Wife, of course!!)

Colette has been promised tomorrow off now but I bet my "bottom dollar" the same thing happens again. Icy roads and pavements will be the excuse, tomorrow!!

I really hope the powers that be don't stand for the "three card trick" and pay these individuals for throwing a "faux" weather, sickie!! :nonono:

I'll be phoning Ian Currie in a short while, for his latest thoughts.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Hey Tom

When you speak to Ian Currie can you ask him his thoughts on a possible Scandi High for the 2nd half of February.

I am favouring it to come in around the 15th of this month after 2 weeks of Mobility and an active Jet Stream coming out of the US Eastern Seaboard.

Not seeing why there are so many  winter is over posts in the Model Discussion, am certainly not giving up on winter yet.

Would like to know his thoughts if you get a chance to ask him

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

I hope your wife gets home safely and she gets the day of tomorrow @TomSE12 she seems like a hard worker and their lucky to have her. 

After my husband got home last night it kept snowing here in Rye. Anyway at about 12.30 my youngest daughter who has trouble with her lungs woke and had a very bad night and was quite poorly, I was awake through the night and the snow did finally settle around 3am, at 4am I had to ring 111 and they sent out an ambulance for her.  The roads were thawing by that point already. The ridge in Hastings was particularly bad but it always is. When we left a few hours ago the ridge was still very bad but drivable. The skill of the Ambulance crew driving on the slippery roads and back lanes is amazing.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
3 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Hey Tom

When you speak to Ian Currie can you ask him his thoughts on a possible Scandi High for the 2nd half of February.

I am favouring it to come in around the 15th of this month after 2 weeks of Mobility and an active Jet Stream coming out of the US Eastern Seaboard.

Not seeing why there are so many  winter is over posts in the Model Discussion, am certainly not giving up on winter yet.

Would like to know his thoughts if you get a chance to ask him

No problem Paul, about to phone him now.

I know the last couple of times I've spoken to Ian, he thought there was a reasonable chance of height rises over Scandinavia, although not guaranteed. 

I noticed when I looked at the Forecast Models that go out to that kind of range this morning, after tentative suggestions of height rises in the last few days, they seemed to have lost their appetite for that scenario today.

Thanks again for your insightful input over the past few days, as per normal.

I'll report back soon.

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, CanadianCoops said:

Last few pics from me. Some show how clear the main roads are now  (though back roads are very tricky) and a few cars abandoned.

Also in one of the pics you can just make out the green grass down the hill. Elevation obviously key. 

Heres hoping we get something this month that isn’t marginal so everyone can enjoy the snow ❄️ 

D3EE1EC2-7822-41B1-BEA7-5489784B0FCD.jpeg

7B83E212-DD09-40F1-B645-103C6CEA6431.jpeg

48B8B02F-AA37-44DB-936A-94C9F1B32080.jpeg

870C15F8-B2E5-467C-B931-05A3411D5B60.jpeg

1DB43A15-B31D-472A-A1AB-03AFD4D031C6.jpeg

AA6ED2A1-2717-4FB3-9039-C42DAF9FD719.jpeg

2956C44F-0FC8-43AC-852F-925E3389C1B1.png

635D8173-02F2-4623-81A3-AF75D427E544.png

EAD8D206-3BE3-46BD-8793-CAB6732053BB.jpeg

27ED2BCA-7B63-450F-990A-2BE0EE8AB0AA.jpeg

06F2ADD6-4E33-47CE-8179-C6771836047D.jpeg

Was this bluebell hill earlier today ?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny, freezing cold and snowy!!
1 hour ago, LightningLover said:

Battle is covered!

So was Ninfield! Thawing now though. Cannot believe how local it was!

Photo of the village church and a little robin that came to visit the snowman I made!!

GEDC0631.JPG

GEDC0650.JPG

GEDC0662.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Binsey72 said:

Was this bluebell hill earlier today ?

Hi - yes it was first thing this morning ❄️

Edited by CanadianCoops

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

@Paul Sherman @TomSE12 That is my thinking too - scandi high beginning to show its hand as we progress through Feb - and also great point Paul I have stopped posting in the model / chat thread ATM mainly due to the bombardment of posts that lean toward "winters over" or slating the background signals which the likes of Catacol, GP etc spend a lot of time and effort researching to share their thoughts with us about the possible effects and as I have mentioned earlier this winter we have seen it happen before where things have changed quickly in the space of a few weeks where it has went from pretty standard UK weather to a cold spell - 2010 - 2018 etc so still time for this to happen again this year. 

some hints within the ensembles with higher pressure over scandi - expecting this signal to grow over the next 1- 2 weeks

gensnh-1-1-276.thumb.png.cd97ae984c80b8567cfa1944e6608e87.png gensnh-3-1-384.thumb.png.f1065f9572e8d11a7afe6ce25e766fc8.png gensnh-16-1-336.thumb.png.320232efb55fccb014f8a07917e1afe1.png gensnh-16-1-360.thumb.png.464c9b911994c9fdec375621a8cd6b70.png gensnh-16-1-384.thumb.png.ca6e723534d222866b609ed6bd8e4bbe.png  

ps love the snow pics in here   :drinks:

• Like 7

Posted
7 minutes ago, CanadianCoops said:

Hi - yes it was first thing before the thaw set it. ❄️

Ah noooo

Guessing its not worth me coming up tomorrow then, wont be much left to photograph after the expected -6c tonight

Shame as was going to grab a pub lunch as well seeing as the little uns game has been called off tomorrow morning

Should be some nice Rime Frost at least

Posted
Just now, Paul Sherman said:

Ah noooo

Guessing its not worth me coming up tomorrow then, wont be much left to photograph after the expected -6c tonight

Shame as was going to grab a pub lunch as well seeing as the little uns game has been called off tomorrow morning

Lol funny as I just edited it as although the thaws started there’s still good amounts up here. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Ah noooo

Actually just came back round to sledging place (highest point) and snow pretty much all gone from the trees and so many people here sledging not sure it’s worth it 

Edited by CanadianCoops