Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

A quick round up of how the unforecast snowfall effected my neck of the woods on Friday evening.

Friday night's snow caused significant disruption over the Eastern part of East Sussex.

Notable dramas include.

A21 between Robertsbridge and Hastings.

Abandoned cars and several R.T.A between 1900 and Midnight,reports of people stuck in gridlock for hours.

A259 coast road between Seaford and Eastbourne, police had to close the entire stretch due to  a jackknifed HGV and numerous cars and vans in hedges and ditches.

Nothing of note over in Brighton, we had our fun on Thursday night.

• Like 3

Posted
24 minutes ago, Matty88 said:

Managed a light sprinkling here last night from the North Sea showers, to my surprise. Must have been quite a heavy one as all paths and minor roads covered with a light sprinkling m. Doesn’t quite make up for the disappointment of the last few days but is nice to see! 

I know the feeling.  I am in Peterborough and we had the same - there are still a few showers coming through, but quite hit and miss.

Edited by On the rocks

Posted

I wouldn't be adverse to a decent mild spell since it looks like the cold synoptically are gone, may as well go mild as we can to reduce gas bills, etc.

Anyway before that a cold ole day to come, then tonight under snow cover probably going down to -8/9c, going yo be really bitter!

Down here it's -0.7c so the cover should be frozen which will help preserve it somewhat during the day once it warms up.

Just about to have a walk in it, something you can't beat!

• Like 2

Posted

Summising this spell for SE Essex and the Winter so Far

Coverings Dec 1st to Feb 1st is Zero

Falling Snow at a rate of over 5/10 is Zero

Sleet Days is 3

An awful awful winter down here and no chance of low temps tonight as we only have grass cover and not Ice.

I will say though that I did see decent snow in Billericay around 10 days ago, although its 15 miles away it is far away enough from the English Riviera Thames Estuary and its Tepid Bath

Roll on Spring I say!

Edited by Paul Sherman
  • Like 4

Posted

That is really impressive, might come up tomorrow with the other half, any good pubs around there for Sunday Lunch ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Just wanted to say I'll be phoning local Weatherman, Ian Currie, a little later.

I want to thank him again for kindly agreeing to me, reproducing some very wintry photos, from his Kent and Surrey County Weather Books. I'll also ask him his latest thoughts on how he sees the rest of February, shaping up.

Just wanted to mention the amazing deal Mr.Currie has offered, for his Kent and Surrey Weather Books.

A payment of £11 will get you one of the above books plus Ian will "throw in" an edition of one of his Quarterly Magazines, Weather Eye, it also includes, postage and packing. It really is an amazing offer and a must read for those members who live in the above Counties. 

I know Ian has a few copies of the Kent and Surrey, editions. I don't think he has any copies of the Sussex editions, left sadly. These books are now out of print. He also co-wrote versions for BERKS, BUCKS, DORSET,ESSEX, HANTS and NORFOLK/SUFFOLK (combined). I'll find out from Ian today, what versions and how many copies, he has left.

I know of four Members who have expressed an interest in obtaining, one of these copies.

I'll post up the link to Mr.Currie's website (Frosted Earth):

http://www.frostedearth.co.uk/

Please drop Ian a line, you'll find his email details , on that link. He is a very affable guy and has been very forthcoming with his views.

Feel free to mention my name Tom (Meyers) and that you're a member of the Netweather Forum. Just want to emphasise again, I receive no Financial incentive from Mr.Currie, for plugging his books. I now class Ian as a good friend and it was his Kent County Weather Book that further increased my interest in Meteorology, when I found it lurking in WH.Smiths, in Bromley. I really do feel that they are a must read for any local weather enthusiast, from those Counties!!

You've seen the photos, now get the books!!

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

After a flop yesterday. I can confirm that it’s actually snowing here in Waltham abbey!

• Like 3

Posted

Final tally here at Silver Hill Salehurst near Robertsbridge was 3-4 inches. Elevation 105m

P1060109.JPG

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Back home very little snow, but a bit of snow here this morning to the south of Croydon at a friends place higher up above 100m in Sanderstead

07BDAEFA-A343-49D0-B311-FAFFDA94F73A.thumb.jpeg.1c4496133a7aad4c0a3e014b4f636ffa.jpeg2ECBD0D3-68D5-46A0-A312-8D36011B8492.thumb.jpeg.88bb0236b5f31c8c0d58d600cc710cf4.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
55 minutes ago, weathergeek said:

20mins up the A24 here in Ashtead and barely a dusting!!! Going to attempt getting up Boxhill this morning to see if there's more!!xx

Reckon Newlands Corner might be even better?

Beautiful or of the window this morning

FDE5655B-4C31-44B2-B916-9BB7EE01BCC9.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.
29 minutes ago, slater said:

Let’s all breath , why an earth the people In the model thread still wanting a mega freeze.? I just don’t get it they have hardly mentioned what’s happened in the last few days . I’m ready to really annoy them and tell them I’m looking for spring like weather..... roll on the warmth!

I wouldn't worry about them. All harmless, in that whatever they wish makes zero difference to eventual outcomes.

Mind you I find it very strange when a few are posting early morning, during the day and in the evening for weeks on end. I dunno, awaiting every model update... Something amiss. Would do my head in! Harmless though...

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning, just popping in to say glad some of you got some snow in the end. Enjoy!

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, weathergeek said:

20mins up the A24 here in Ashtead and barely a dusting!!! Going to attempt getting up Boxhill this morning to see if there's more!!xx

There is snow on Box Hill - not sure if there’s as much as Newlands Corner though. 

4D098D82-9DCF-4B8F-A052-05D107459CEE.jpeg

Edited by FlightlessWings
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
12 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

That is really impressive, might come up tomorrow with the other half, any good pubs around there for Sunday Lunch ? 

Yep, lovely pubs in Bluebell village.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

Right... Ready for snowballs, sledging a pub walk and rugby today... Rinse and repeat for tomorrow me thinks, just no rugby.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ackkers said:

Final tally here at Silver Hill Salehurst near Robertsbridge was 3-4 inches. Elevation 105m

P1060109.JPG

There’s showers coming off the Wash, Jon

10 minutes ago, john mac said:

After a flop yesterday. I can confirm that it’s actually snowing here in Waltham abbey!

There are showers coming off The Wash Jon. They can sometimes spring a surprise for our neck of the woods - no elevation of note to catch them before Epping Forest...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Cat is desperately trying not to get his paws snowy, keeps trying to walk where the foxes have already walked.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Seem to be headed south between the A1 and M11 

Very light in nature ATM

Posted
12 minutes ago, FlightlessWings said:

There is snow on Box Hill - not sure if there’s as much as Newlands Corner though. 

I imagine the view from newlands would be pretty amazing this morning, though getting there would be fun on icy roads!

• Like 1