Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

It's nice to hear reports of snow all day in this thread(ok not all),i am so chuffed for you,this will be a memorable spell for you to talk about in future i am sure

yes i am jealous but we are on the same island and we have seen some good snowfall

thanks for sharing all the pics

enjoyed browsing this thread,cheers.

meanwhile back here,i have seen snow falling today and yesterday and settled straight away as the ground has been frozen thanks to an ice day of -2 all day yesterday

there looks to be a slight waning from the cold as we head into next week so make the most of your snow darn sarf

thanks.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
14 minutes ago, Nqp15hhu said:

Well the map that I have posted disputes this. I am not sure why you and him are getting offended over a comment about a location 100 odd miles away, but there we are.

I'm not offended at all.... I've lived through many snowless winters both here in the south and in East Anglia and yet also had snowmeggdon (Jan 1996) in the centre of the country in Coventry. It's nothing to do with elevation and you don't need to be a met student to work that out....

Quite frankly I couldn't careless if all the snow disappeared tomorrow, just to see the smile on the faces of the children I teach for a few flakes of snow each year....

As it is the North is no more inclined to snow than any other part of the country... Family in Huddersfield have had less snow events in the last 10 years than we "in the south" have had... Friends in the far north of Scotland have had barely a snow covering all winter or in the ten years they've lived on the east coast....

Edited by John Stevens
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I think the other issue is there really has been a dearth of decent northerlies in the last 3-4 years, something which usually nails Norwich. I mean I'm struggling to recall one decent northerly (indeed, even a toppler northerly like we used to get a lot from 2003-2008). Several decent easterlies, now a good NW and several battleground set-ups. But very few northerlies.

So he may be right to question this location because he probably hasn't seen a half decent northerly.

I remember living in Ockendon in Thurrock and getting some great looking convection from the cells that came through from Norfolk. By the time they got here they were pretty whispy, but I remember looking at them and thinking they looked great, and in the clear winters day a northerly brings inland, you can see for many miles upwind.

Wonder why the potent northerlies have been so fee and far between,can it be correlated to the diminishing sea ice around the arctic

Posted
45 minutes ago, Nqp15hhu said:

Yep. You guessed it, pure rain in Norwich again, at 1c! Think I may go to bed, because this event is doing nothing for me.

Pretty sickening to see London getting snow and us pure rain.

whilst annoying I'm sure, you never were likely to get much snow in this set-up this time around. I know I was quite angsty last night (and I apologise for that, it somewhat soured the thread looking back at it), but I think I had a good reason to be annoyed being literally in the middle of a dry slot for 5hrs whilst everything rotated around. I also totally understand Steveinsussex being annoyed as well, due to the same thing. However I don't think you've quite as much right to be peeved.

With that being said, your time will come....it always does in the end.

I remember a guy from somewhere in the middle of the country. He barely had anything for 5 years or so. Anyway in January 2010 a potent LP came down and his location would have copped a foot of snow in that. So sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. It sucks when you lose, I lost last night in a way I've never experienced before. Paul S lost in Feb 2009. But you move on and try to learn WHY you lost and that hopefully makes it easier IF anything goes wrong again.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Dipsy said:

Sounds like if it isn't now it will be soon!

Hey Dipsy. May sound like I’m being a bit childish but it genuinely tends not to snow here! An hour since your post and it’s raining. There must be something intrinsically topographical in this small part of the world that impacts on (almost no) snowfall. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
30 minutes ago, <<Ryan>> said:

Family been stuck on the A21 for the past 3 hours. Seen on twitter that some have not moved an inch for 5 hours or more, not nice! 
Almost 6cm in Hawkhurst, Kent, but a slow melt has commenced since the snow has turned lighter. 

Highways England reporting that a number of trees have also fallen down along the A21 from the weight of snow 

My husband left for work at around 8 he was on the A21 he said there were people in the ditches and trees down, from the Lamberhurst roundabout was shut. He arrived home at 23,30. I hope they are a safe I feel for them.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
1 minute ago, DonnaThw said:

My husband left for work at around 8 he was on the A21 he said there were people in the ditches and trees down, from the Lamberhurst roundabout was shut. He arrived home at 23,30. I hope they are a safe I feel for them.

My mate is out in his toyota 4x4 rescuing people that way

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, snowrye said:

Wonder why the potent northerlies have been so fee and far between,can it be correlated to the diminishing sea ice around the arctic

No idea, sometimes these things do feel like they work in cycles. We've now had four fairly major battleground snow events in the last two winter. One in December 2017 which hit the W.Midlands, then storm Emma, then the next one from the 'mini beast' and now this set-up. We may now go 5-10 years without another, who knows?!

Equally, the area I lived in got hammered five times from 2009-Dec 2010. From the easterly 09, from Dec 2009, from January 2010 LP, from December 1/2nd of 2010 and then again in mid December. Since then no where near as much, but SW Midlands into Wales have done very well in that time period.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

@snowrye he said it was absolutely awful, cars were sliding in to him and he tried to help a few people but said it was really bad, he got to Lamberhurst roundabout and came home. It took him 3 and a half hours.

• Like 2

Posted

Sorry all....I should not have reacted in the way I did to a post just now. Today has been a thoroughly s@&t day and I bit. It's not what I would normally do. I've enjoyed the last couple of days in here and I don't post regularly. I'm not "a horrible person", in fact I've spent be my evening helping various stranded cars/ drivers  on the steep road outside out house get home safely.

I hope everyone here has enjoyed the snow, and all your friends and family are safe

Edited by John Stevens
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, kold weather said:

whilst annoying I'm sure, you never were likely to get much snow in this set-up this time around. I know I was quite angsty last night (and I apologise for that, it somewhat soured the thread looking back at it), but I think I had a good reason to be annoyed being literally in the middle of a dry slot for 5hrs whilst everything rotated around. I also totally understand Steveinsussex being annoyed as well, due to the same thing. However I don't think you've quite as much right to be peeved.

With that being said, your time will come....it always does in the end.

I remember a guy from somewhere in the middle of the country. He barely had anything for 5 years or so. Anyway in January 2010 a potent LP came down and his location would have copped a foot of snow in that. So sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. It sucks when you lose, I lost last night in a way I've never experienced before. Paul S lost in Feb 2009. But you move on and try to learn WHY you lost and that hopefully makes it easier IF anything goes wrong again.

Why not? Everyone else in the south of the region has received some form of snow over the last two days. I don't think it is unrealistic for me as a weather enthusiast to have that desire for some snow cover. 

We are overdue some snow anyway - we haven't seen any snow of any decency since March of last year. 

Edited by Nqp15hhu

Posted
17 minutes ago, John Stevens said:

I'm not offended at all.... I've lived through many snowless winters both here in the south and in East Anglia and yet also had snowmeggdon (Jan 1996) in the centre of the country in Coventry. It's nothing to do with elevation and you don't need to be a met student to work that out....

Quite frankly I couldn't careless if all the snow disappeared tomorrow, just to see the smile on the faces of the children I teach for a few flakes of snow each year....

As it is the North is no more inclined to snow than any other part of the country... Family in Huddersfield have had less snow events in the last 10 years than we "in the south" have had... Friends in the far north of Scotland have had barely a snow covering all winter or in the ten years they've lived on the east coast....

The Met Office map clearly disputes that. I am from a northern region and my area receives at least one day of lying snow every winter, even during mild winters. In fact, they have already received 5-6 inches at low levels earlier this week. 

Edited by Nqp15hhu

Posted
1 minute ago, Nqp15hhu said:

Why not? Everyone else in the south of the region has received some form of snow over the last two days. I don't think it is unrealistic for me as a weather enthusiast to have that desire for some snow cover. 

We haven't seen any lying snow since March of 2018, so I think we are well overdue some.

I didn't see any settling snow from March 2013 through to December 2017. Its really annoying when it happens, but sometimes that's the way the weather works. Makes it all the better when you do finally see something. Also it wasn't until March 2018 that I had more than an inch. That's 5 years without that sort of snowfall. But it made March 2018 all the better as it was something to look forward to.

But I DO get that you want snow, we all do. And it is also ok to be annoyed, as I think I showed quite nicely last night. However things turned around. One day, you'll be in the jackpot zone. Then your snow will be the envy of everyone. Just need to think positive with it.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!

Snow to rain yesterday and rain to snow today. Turned about 6 and 10/12 cm now. If only it would have stayed all snow for two days could have had 30+cm but definitely not moaning ☺. Bluebell hill has been shut for hours partly open now. This is by me an hour ago @ Patterns lane/Walderslade road. Cars couldn't get out the dip, abandoned cars in middle of road lol. ❄❄

20190201_225301.thumb.jpg.5d52156ea8d94f8aca566401852fed93.jpg20190201_222017.thumb.jpg.cd5a9cbc9cf1c5f56a3186d8d83dc918.jpg20190201_225450.thumb.jpg.ad8157678e8e7e38c33233e2b0609ca0.jpg

Still snowing

• Like 3

Posted

Calling it a night as it fizzles out to light snizzle. With no expectations this has been pretty good for me in bromley - let’s hope that unlike this morning I wake up and it hasn’t reduced to a slushy mess.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
9 minutes ago, John Stevens said:

Sorry all....I should not have reacted in the way I did to a post just now. Today has been a thoroughly s@&t day and I bit. It's not what I would normally do. I've enjoyed the last couple of days in here and I don't post regularly. I'm not "a horrible person", in fact I've spent be my evening helping various stranded cars/ drivers  on the steep road outside out house get home safely.

I hope everyone here has enjoyed the snow, and all your friends and family are safe

No need to apologise my man 

friendly thread us

south easterners 

dont worry bout it bruv

Sorry can’t get rid of that bloody pic

7A9896D0-7AC9-43FE-9F7A-E916D0873E02.jpeg

Edited by snowbob
  • Like 1

Posted

Anyway there's no trying to apologise to some people so I may as well just show a pic of what they're missing out on

F00DFC61-5313-49FD-85FF-1BB756116AC6.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
Just now, John Stevens said:

Anyway there's no trying to apologise to some people so I may as well just show a pic of what they're missing out on

Looks quality bruv

good fall tonight mate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
1 minute ago, John Stevens said:

You lucky Git

Posted
39 minutes ago, Nqp15hhu said:

Well the map that I have posted disputes this. I am not sure why you and him are getting offended over a comment about a location 100 odd miles away, but there we are.

As I said the other day, my personal experience is that Norwich only gets a few days of slushy snow each winter. And that is the way that the situation is playing out this winter.

Did you not notice the significant amount of snow in and around Norwich last year with the 'Beast from the East'? 

Posted
12 minutes ago, Bishy-Barney-Bee said:

Did you not notice the significant amount of snow in and around Norwich last year with the 'Beast from the East'? 

Yes, but that was rare, let’s be honest.

3C41E5FA-8E89-49E5-A7B2-30219D598772.jpeg

I apologise if I have offended anyone. I can’t help but give my opinions.

Edited by Nqp15hhu
  • Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, snowbob said:

No need to apologise my man 

friendly thread us

south easterners 

dont worry bout it bruv

Sorry can’t get rid of that bloody pic

7A9896D0-7AC9-43FE-9F7A-E916D0873E02.jpeg

Thank you snowbob.... I've had some really nice chats on the occasions I do post... 

• Like 3

Posted

The way the snow is clinging to the trees tonight is amazing. It's a real shame that @carinthian left the forum. Whilst mainly a lurker and occasional poster I really enjoyed his pics of Austria...I also really enjoy @TomSE12 historical posts... As an historian myself I take a lot of time to digest them.

Anyway today wasn't the best of days... The bunnies did their snow dance last night but want even enough for a reprieve from the nut chop today.... Unfortunately one of them didn't get through the anesthetic and we only brought one bunny home this afternoon. Suffice to say one bunny, daughter (and mum and dad!) are slightly down tonight.... But the snow still looks amazing... The trees tonight... Hopefully these pics look good (the little bunny says hello!!).. And it's still tanking down in Holmbury St Mary

FCE31CC6-29D8-4CAC-81AC-4BC8643C6E27.jpeg

758D7E8D-8B12-4FA5-B8AC-1AD2B6169FD3.jpeg

3A2788A1-C425-45C4-90AC-165C06C8F5F0.jpeg

0F78A3D2-B768-42A2-9A58-841C61021FCE.jpeg

• Like 8