Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
2 minutes ago, BeazleyBlizzard said:

Took just over 3 hours to do a drive from sm6 to gu35. Most people would be upset with that. I loved it. What a wintry blast. Guildford and down was hammering if down. Thought hindhead tunnel was going to shut. This band of snow has taken soo long to clear southwards. Anyone else need an excuse to walk the dog

Not been  bad at all, we had a good band swing through around 3.30pm which was what tipped us over the edge and into full blown settling now, upto that point it was switching between sleet, snow, and grapeul.

Posted
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Cloud is breaking up over my head inbetween the bands, still light snow but probably on its final legs. May get one last weak b and through and then  it becomes about how far we can drop overnight. I'm sure we will get below 0c and it will all freeze and compact. Will be a utter nightmare tomorrow morning if that does happen!

IM seeing a new low forming off the coast of Peacehaven. There is definitley a circulation starting. This could well feed some snow up into the M23 region in an hour or so

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
4 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

No faith in radar outs this evening..ive been under a band-a persistant mod/heavy snow for an hour now..

Outside i have light sleet!!!

Same here mate

just pants

nothing from the west or south floats my boat

some have done well I agree

Not for me it has to be northerly or easterly 

that way everyone in our region is happy

good luck everyone

and for that reason I’m out

lol

for ten mins at least

such an addiction 

Edited by snowbob

Posted

This just about sums up this week in Greenwich:

552D99E9-C8CB-44D6-8E9D-E6F0EE629689.thumb.png.993d6f2be9c4b2a4d8c8197139f1d1b9.png

Been sat on the southern edge of that heavier precipitation for the last two hours now, with just some sleet and occasional bursts of wet snow which hasn’t left a slight layer of slush on some cars. And now it’s weakening.

So a little like March 18 for this area, so close to something more significant but did not have the winning ticket in the raffle once again. But good to see some areas have done better than expected, and today’s system does go to show that even with the hundreds of millions which we throw at forecast models, some situations are still as unsuccessful as my own modelling career (which similarly even hundreds of millions of pounds could not fix)

There’s still hope, we’re only just into February and modelling will remain volatile for a while yet with the downwelling wave, but after the grim weather we’ve had today in London, I think I’m ready for some spring warmth....maybe swimsuit modelling is more my thing...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
Just now, TomSE12 said:

Still light snow falling here in Lee, London.SE12. It's trying it's hardest to settle on very wet surfaces.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Indeed.. It was starting to settle when it was heavy earlier but it's all turned back to slush.

• Like 1

Posted

I just had a moan about the radar. What do I do? Check it straight after. Like some miracle is about to happen and a Thames Streamer is heading my way. For hours. And hours. And hours. 

Think I need to cue the Benny Hill theme whilst watching it flow all around me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
4 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

No faith in radar outs this evening..ive been under aband of persistant mod/heavy snow for an hour now..

Outside i have light sleet!!!

Tbf though you killed it in last night's snow show I was in Hillingdon and Uxbridge earlier today amazing how diff it was there to the rest of London! Looks like you had a decent amount!

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, DAVE_ALLEN said:

IMG_5118.thumb.jpeg.9d8e90d45461c94fe17417bd4859a49c.jpeg

An update was issued about 40 mins ago.

MetO were late on this update

Posted
1 minute ago, DAVE_ALLEN said:

IM seeing a new low forming off the coast of Peacehaven. There is definitley a circulation starting. This could well feed some snow up into the M23 region in an hour or so

Quite possible, it would explain the shape of the frontal system as well to an extent.

The Screw zone is slowly compacting as well thankfully, though Crawley is literally the middle of it like I was in the middle of it last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
Just now, D.V.R said:

Indeed.. It was starting to settle when it was heavy earlier but it's all turned back to slush.

Same here mate

been in the crap spot for two nights now

Posted

At least 6" of snow here and still going - although very lightly. An amazing surprise. Internet down for a couple of hours and SKY not working. Other first world problems include damage to my box hedges and holm oaks. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Oh dear!  If it's not settling for you, I got no chance.

Onwards and upwards to the mid-February freeze!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sunny days!

Oooooooohhhh I'm a happy, happy bunny, loverly sssssnnnnnnnnooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
2 minutes ago, snowbob said:

Same here mate

been in the crap spot for two nights now

Just noticed the flakes are getting bigger again.

• Like 3

Posted
27 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

@ CanadianCoops - Is it still snowing at Bluebell Hill ?

It hasn’t stopped. The main road a229 has been closed and all surrounding roads are a mess. Approx 5 inches the missus says (not sure I trust her measurements lol) 

I made the bad decision to pop in and see a mate down in wigmore where it’s been raining most of the night (though even down here it’s snowing now and settling) and staying here til I hear the roads nearby are ok to go back home. 

Edited by CanadianCoops
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow

Cant believe its settling on the roads here in grays. Daughter and the kiddies are leaving here 3am to catch flight from luton to Slovakia. To see the heavy snow thats now melting out there. 12 degrees and raining awaits them!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual works for me...!

The radar looks like it did during the Dec 2010 streamer.

Is my interpretation reasonable?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Nqp15hhu said:

Raining in Norwich. Odd weather.

But the temp's gone from 3.2 to 2.0C, in the last hour...just a wee morsel of hope?

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Quite possible, it would explain the shape of the frontal system as well to an extent.

The Screw zone is slowly compacting as well thankfully, though Crawley is literally the middle of it like I was in the middle of it last night.

Crawley was in it last night too, Kold, pretty much. Dire location for snow, along with Horley and Gatwick. 

Posted
Just now, coram said:

At least 6" of snow here and still going - although very lightly. An amazing surprise. Internet down for a couple of hours and SKY not working. Other first world problems include damage to my box hedges and holm oaks. 

Nothing like that here but my TV signal has suffered big time tonight because of the snow, and did have lights flicker at one point in the heaviest of the snow.

I must admit I'd rather given up on this whole set-up, but at the last minute is has redeemed itself a fair amount. Was going to be a 2/10, but probably a solid 7 now after this and the very interesting transition. I've rarely been able to watch in real time a transition, so it was really rather cool!

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

But the temp's gone from 3.2 to 2.0C, in the last hour...just a wee morsel of hope?

Kind of fed up to be honest. Would like to move on to the next system, unless we're going to get something decent out of this.

Edited by Nqp15hhu

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Settling nicely in Gillingham. The models missed this!!!

• Like 2