Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted

Northern band is decaying, next band is taking over which arched from Winchester to Basingstoke and up through Wokingham. That should decay in 30-45 minutes and the band currently and Guildford will take over, then a new band should crop up, and the process repeats broadly for the next 3-5hrs until it starts to wind down as it ejects to the SE/SSE.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry

Snowing consistently here for a while now. Settling on minor roads.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!
2 minutes ago, MONKEYJAM said:

M3 at stand still near hook !! Very heavy snowfall… didn’t see this coming 

Never seen so many accident symbols in one area on Google Maps

Posted
2 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

Whole area looks in chaos. Gaps in flow on google traffic show that several roads are now blocked. Lots of accidents reported as well.

Traffic010220191708.thumb.png.10ba5fcf9781def8ce3582e67d4e02b8.png

The whole region has turned orange and red now. A3 is getting heavier as well as rush hour starts and the snow continues to build up.

Basingstoke is a utter mess though!

Love watching this, almost as good as watching the radar!! Thanks Whitefox!

• Like 1

Posted

Finally starting to see some proper flakes and temperature dropped to 0.7 in RG7. Nowhere near intense enough to settle though.

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Northern band is decaying, next band is taking over which arched from Winchester to Basingstoke and up through Wokingham. That should decay in 30-45 minutes and the band currently and Guildford will take over, then a new band should crop up, and the process repeats broadly for the next 3-5hrs until it starts to wind down as it ejects to the SE/SSE.

What about the band over Kent that Nick Sussex has just referred to?

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Incredible stuff. My son has just had to abandon his car a mile or so from home. All roads blocked around the Odiham/North Warnborough (North-east Hampshire) area.

Posted
Just now, kold weather said:

The whole region has turned orange and red now. A3 is getting heavier as well as rush hour starts and the snow continues to build up.

My pleasure. Even when there's nothing near me I'll often get a fix by looking at google maps and then traffic cameras to see what it's like. The lengths I go to to get a s now fix!

Posted
Just now, Sharpedge said:

What about the band over Kent that Nick Sussex has just referred to?

Your on the wrong side of the low and its pulling in some slightly milder air around it, so very much altitude dependent, as wel as intensity dependent. It is evening time so temperatures should slowly come down naturally, but you want the LP to weaken and open up to stop that general flow from the channel.

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

We have just got to Basingstoke station and trees have now falling down on the line, it’s chaos out there

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Snowing in Medway. About a 5 on the Murr scale. Would certainly be laying nicely if the ground were dry.

I must say BBC forecasts have been bang on for me recently.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, coram said:

Incredible stuff. My son has just had to abandon his car a mile or so from home. All roads blocked around the Odiham/North Warnborough (North-east Hampshire) area.

I'm only on the edge of that area and its really coming down, it must be at least twice as bad where you are right in the middle of it!! All tyre tracks have gone now. Probably around 2cms at the moment (definitely more than last night now!) and the great thing is when it freezes early tomorrow morning its not going to be in a rush to go.

Saturday night could well match Wednesday night here for temperatures.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, lewis028 said:

We have just got to Basingstoke station and trees have now falling down on the line, it’s chaos out there

I used to work in the Basingstoke area, know it quite well, I bet that main road into the town center from the M3 is a nightmare right now!

Definitely needed a small amber zone I feel...

Edited by kold weather

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

I used to work in the Basingstoke area, know it quite well, I bet that main road into the town center from the M3 is a nightmare right now!

The A33 is stationary about halfway from Reading to Basingstoke now. I've a feeling people are going to be trapped for a number of hours.

Posted

Unbelievable best snow since the beast last year 

00A0F542-8F80-453C-ABE6-3398AF743654.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

Back edge is still only in the Swindon area, though that probably will fragment away from now on, besides looks like they have done plenty well over the last 24hrs!!! Hampshire, eventusally SW Surrey and W.Sussex probably in for an other 3-5hrs of snow at varying intensities. Sometimes it will be light, other times heavy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I'm only on the edge of that area and its really coming down, it must be at least twice as bad where you are right in the middle of it!! All tyre tracks have gone now. Probably around 2cms at the moment (definitely more than last night now!) and the great thing is when it freezes early tomorrow morning its not going to be in a rush to go.

Saturday night could well match Wednesday night here for temperatures.

Great to hear you are now getting your longed for snowfall. Let's hope it turns into a dumping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow winter. Hot hot summers

Had about 1cm in 10 mins of heavy snowfall 

• Like 2

Posted

Some pictures of the current situation in Basingstoke

_20190201_172303.JPG

_20190201_172245.JPG

_20190201_172447.JPG

A video as well....

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 9

Posted
Just now, coram said:

Great to hear you are now getting your longed for snowfall. Let's hope it turns into a dumping.

Even if it stopped right now I'd be happy enough with this, more like what I was expecting last night, but I suppose I'll take a slight delay!

I think its not going anywhere too fast though the heavier stuff will keep working SE/SSE and slowly become less impressive over the next couple of hours. Still, could easily get another inch or two in that time if your in the heavier stuff!

• Like 1