Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
2 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

Thanks for that. Although it does mean that I shouldn't be so excited about those bright radar returns to my east!

I wonder Whitefox whether your getting a version of what happened to Kent last night, a little low forming which is pulling in milder air around its eastern flank at the boundary level. This time round looks like I'm JUST on the right side based on the rotation and where the system is at the moment.

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

I wonder Whitefox whether your getting a version of what happened to Kent last night, a little low forming which is pulling in milder air around its eastern flank at the boundary level. This time round looks like I'm JUST on the right side based on the rotation and where the system is at the moment.

That is probably what is happening, but the radar return is very different. Last night it seemed truer to what what you were seeing on the ground?

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

What do you think KW. The latest Meteox shows the precip now arching around southern Hants.

Qutie often radars struggle with hail and ice grapuel and return stronger returns on the radar then what is actually present. It maybe that's what happened here. In summer thunderstorms you can normally pick out strong hail cores because there radar returns will be off the charts for a couple of pixels. Can't be sure without doing a proper look at everything though!

Posted
7 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

Thanks for that. Although it does mean that I shouldn't be so excited about those bright radar returns to my east!

Would be nice if we could all get one last hurrah with a nice dumping of snow this evening to match our friends in the South West.

Que sera, sera, plenty of winter still to come, February and March can produce, so here's to hoping for a raging easterly in the coming weeks with a few feet of the white stuff on our doorstep, I'll be keeping a close eye on the models anyway.

As I say that it's turning more readily to snow now in Wokingham, fingers crossed it can rebuild and keep going all night at a decent intensity. Obviously the temperatures are starting to drop away now that the sun is setting.

Edited by J-S-89

Posted
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

The missus just rang me to say the a3 was down to 30mph near bordon with blizzard like conditions and no visibility.  Meto saying heavy snow for next few hours. Nice little suprise.

• Like 2

Posted

I'm in this clear space with 0ppn according to the radar but it's heavy snow on the ground.

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 16.53.02.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Qutie often radars struggle with hail and ice grapuel and return stronger returns on the radar then what is actually present. It maybe that's what happened here. In summer thunderstorms you can normally pick out strong hail cores because there radar returns will be off the charts for a couple of pixels. Can't be sure without doing a proper look at everything though!

That's what I do as well; usually a sign of strong convection if you see a few strong pixels even if the PPN doesn't match. The PPN did explode very suddenly to the South and West of here so I think that's what must have happened.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
Just now, Steve Murr said:

Temps down to 0.8c Here

probs about 0.3c at WK- snowline lowering

Heavy PPN moving closer-

Could we actually get lucky

dont want to expect it after last nights let down

Posted
2 minutes ago, Bedfordblues73 said:

If it would like to stall over Wokingham that would be lovely .....

Only after it's done with me.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

A couple of composites: 

1959709472_7681BB24-9949-49C4-8A61-726A05183D5E.png.thumb.jpg.7186bcf8f899a850d7cb6fbf95fee073.jpg 662968581_D16A39E0-2F55-463D-9D31-D8F44F8BC426.png.thumb.jpg.63e4c2554342de5c289f9b7eb43f3025.jpg

Classic dry air wrapping in there of a developing low.

Whole lot is shifting SSE BUT not uniformly, it is developing new bands that take over the old ones from the SE, so you need to watch to the east/SE to see where the snow is coming from.

I'm not going to lie, this was a 3/10 jobbie before this afternoon, but this is kinda making up for it. Back to moderate snow after a small lull. 0.4c. Foot prints from 45 minutes ago are gone.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 4

Posted

Also jackpot location this time will be Basingstoke (maybe obvious already!) That banding area will move SSE/SE through Hampshire and probably S.Surrey into W.Sussex bit it won't be uniform. You may get lucky and catch a training band of convection, in which case totals will be higher. If not then probably 2-3cms from the Met office warning area will be about right.

PS, that band must be turning snowy over Guildford by now, surely?!

Edited by kold weather