Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
4 minutes ago, DAVE_ALLEN said:

Can you see it ?  Do you think its a shallow low ?

Ceratinly looks like a mesoscale feature. There was a general flow from the East towards the other area of PPN associated with the main front for most of the afternoon. It would seem that the two airmasses colliding might have set something off. Over to @Ben Sainsbury for that one!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
5 minutes ago, DAVE_ALLEN said:

Im up near charterhouse and we have freezing rain now !!!   Or colourless graupel. I think its the former though, have you checked outside .. *edit with some large flakes coming through as well wtf ?

It’s like we are right on the borderline . Pulsing between freezing rain, swizzle and light to moderate snow.

ive been using the charterhouse spires as a gauge can’t see them now

Posted
4 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

That's known as the @kold weathergap. It's a recently discovered mesoscale feature...

Except there is no gap here at the moment!

So basically what is happening is the feature is rotating snow/sleet/rain around itself from the east, however the whole thing is moving broadly SSE from the looks of things, so over time the whole lot should slowly move into Surrey and Sussex. There will be varying intensities with it and bands will develop on the SE side of the system and wrap in whilst there is still enough instability out there, which should be the case at least for the next 3-6hrs.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

If you look at the satellite you can clearly see a circulation developing over Hampshire ! What drama !

Do you think it could blow up and affect our area ?

Posted

It’s very interesting if you look at the precip you’d never guess what’s going on above.

But the satellite pic clearly shows the clouds moving anti clockwise over Hants.

• Like 1

Posted

Travelling from Leigh on sea to Southampton, just got to Woking and it’s good to see some decent covering of snow on the ground, looks like a winter wonderland, good to see the SW of our region done well ??

and now it’s snowing heavy aswell ??

Edited by lewis028
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

Radar:

Radar010220191631.thumb.png.0c53e2f2c4cc97271e0949c1735a66d9.png

Traffic for same area:

Traffic010220191631.thumb.png.13245a342b99ce3f539f222bb85bff3e.png

No way traffic would be flowing at normal speed if that was heavy snow. Anyone in Wokingham or Bracknell able to confirm conditions? HAving trouble locating any cameras.

Long time lurker of this forum and weather geek/fan since 2009/10. =P

I can confirm in Wokingham it has been a mixture of heavy sleet and graupel with the odd flake here and there.

Quite pleased with how we did last night overall, got to work from home today and we had a nice covering of 10 cm, just a shame with all the intensity around us this afternoon the temperatures haven't been conducive to more heavy snow falling.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It’s very interesting if you look at the precip you’d never guess what’s going on above.

But the satellite pic clearly shows the clouds moving anti clockwise over Hants.

I've noticed in the past that when you have a system developing overhead the radar doesn't match what you see on the ground. I often look for small red echoes that tell me there is a general increase. I think it may be the sudden lifting that is going into the circulation, so it shows as PPN, but actually it's rising. Makes sense to me anyway!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Could this deepen further? Nick

Posted
4 minutes ago, john mac said:

Do you think it could blow up and affect our area ?

It’s touch and go John.

Some precip is moving nw . We need a couple more radar updates to see.

Posted
2 minutes ago, J-S-89 said:

Long time lurker of this forum and weather geek/fan since 2009/10. =P

I can confirm in Wokingham it has been a mixture of heavy sleet and graupel with the odd flake here and there.

Quite pleased with how we did last night overall, got to work from home today and we had a nice covering of 10 cm, just a shame with all the intensity around us this afternoon the temperatures haven't been conducive to more heavy snow falling.

Thanks for that. Although it does mean that I shouldn't be so excited about those bright radar returns to my east!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

It’s touch and go John.

So this could slowly move towards surrey

Edited by snowbob

Posted
Just now, snowbob said:

So this could slowly move towards surretsurrey

No. It needs to edge a little bit closer to Reading first and sit there rotating for while. About 24 hours or so should do it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
7 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Except there is no gap here at the moment!

So basically what is happening is the feature is rotating snow/sleet/rain around itself from the east, however the whole thing is moving broadly SSE from the looks of things, so over time the whole lot should slowly move into Surrey and Sussex. There will be varying intensities with it and bands will develop on the SE side of the system and wrap in whilst there is still enough instability out there, which should be the case at least for the next 3-6hrs.

You make it sound so predictable

Posted
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Becoming quite obvious on radar as well now, may explain why some places have seen quite a rapid uptick in the precipitation., above what was expected by the models.

Only light snow here at the moment, but that's fine as the low should pivot the whole band over me again in a few hours with heavier snowfall again as it clears away.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

If you look at the satellite you can clearly see a circulation developing over Hampshire ! What drama !

Reckon it's formed over my house! Winter wonderland here and snowing heavily.febsnow5.thumb.jpg.8f7290f4e4429cdcf55ad5421edc9032.jpg

Car was cleared of snow earlier - 2cm of snow on car is from just the last hour.febsnow6.thumb.jpg.85af8a2d4766d95d59c713e4c541794d.jpg

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!
12 minutes ago, CanadianCoops said:

Those in medway who haven’t had snow and want a fix get yourself up to blue bell hill/walderslade woods. Extremely heavy snow settling to everything accumulating quickly. Even settling on the M2 between blue bell hill and Gillingham (junction 3-4) - quite dangerous.   

Looking across the valley with envy here in Cuxton.

Posted
2 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

I've noticed in the past that when you have a system developing overhead the radar doesn't match what you see on the ground. I often look for small red echoes that tell me there is a general increase. I think it may be the sudden lifting that is going into the circulation, so it shows as PPN, but actually it's rising. Makes sense to me anyway!

What do you think KW. The latest Meteox shows the precip now arching around southern Hants.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

It’s touch and go John.

Cheers mate.

• Like 1

Posted

The arm of preciptation which is coming into the new mesoscale low stretches out into the channel as a dry feature and then loops round all the way clockwise past devon and out towards Scarboro way in the NE. What an interesting set up.

• Like 2