Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
8 minutes ago, Hotspur61 said:

My apologies and i am very happy for you that you got snow.I should have been a bit more specific as i did see Brighton area got a good dollop of snow last night.I just wish that this part of England was more mountainous with everywhere being at least 300m asl and then we wouldnt have these problems with margainality lol!!

No problem, just as an aside to the snowfall, the talk of a 'warm zone' last night in Kent and the Sussexes.

I drove back from London between 9pm and midnight ( two hours to travel a 15 min journey around Brighton)

The temperature was +1c the whole time until I reached the Sussex coast and then -1c.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
6 minutes ago, Jezzer said:

And again, they can't even get it right on the DAY!

Area of Snow... It's RAIN!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

No problem, just as an aside to the snowfall, the talk of a 'warm zone' last night in Kent and the Sussexes.

I drove back from London between 9pm and midnight ( two hours to travel a 15 min journey around Brighton)

The temperature was +1c the whole time until I reached the Sussex coast and then -1c.

I wonder whether the low that screwed me over also drew in some more marginal air around it's flank as itdeveloped. In a marginal situation it may have made a difference by keeping temperatures up. My temperature held at 0.6c until the cap dry slot finally broke down, then temps dropped quickly.

The coasts had heavy snow in place already which helped keep the temperature down when combined with fairly consistent snowfall.

Combined with subsidence  from The front to the north killing precipitation as it came ashore and that is a lethal combination.

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Sitting in Wladerslade, Chatham right now waiting for a pupil to start their driving lesson. A mix of 90% rain and 10%snow is building in intensity. What snow is here is melting before my eyes. Such a shame. 

97E0FCD6-5B30-4648-8316-BF7C60556AC3.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

It's thawing here, but there is still light snow falling.

Posted

10 minutes ago, Jezzer said:

It’s def rain. I’m standing under it getting wet 

Edited by CanadianCoops

Posted
5 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

And again, they can't even get it right on the DAY!

Area of Snow... It's RAIN!

Oh dear Peter!

Look out your window mate. That's if you are on the London area.

Its rain mate!! 

Screenshot_20190201-110033.png

Edited by Wimbledon88

Posted
5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I wonder whether the low that screwed me over also drew in some more marginal air around it's flank as it developed. In a marginal situation it may have made a difference.

The coasts had heavy snow on place already which helped keep the temperature down when combined with fairly consistent snowfall.

Combined with subsidence  from The front to the north killing precipitation as it came ashore and that is a lethal combination.

Quite possible,it seems areas to the East of Eastbourne had trouble keeping settling snow, as did areas North of Gatwick,further West along the coast and inland there were no such problems. 

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Pure cold icy rain here in Croydon, the damp makes it feel even colder though, thoroughly unpleasant to be outside 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Yep, light rain started in Addlestone, thoroughly miserable morning 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I wonder whether the low that screwed me over also drew in some more marginal air around it's flank as it developed. In a marginal situation it may have made a difference.

The coasts had heavy snow on place already which helped keep the temperature down when combined with fairly consistent snowfall.

It was wet snow here till the front lifted far enough to let the SSW draw effect us. Then it turned to rain. Se was on the wrong side of the low, pretty simple really. If it stayed as a wave, would have been much better.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow
25 minutes ago, danm said:

Is that band coming up through London snow/rain/sleet?

Here it was rain/sleet

Posted

I suspect any precipitation talking to the east of that front is going to be sleety stuff at best. Once the front does move east, providing there is something left, will probably go back to snow.

I'm doubtful however it settles, I think we have lost the surface cold required for it now. Could still cause a few rush hour issues though.

Posted
Just now, kold weather said:

I suspect any precipitation talking to the east of that front is going to be sleety stuff at best. Once the front does move east, providing there is something left, will probably go back to snow.

I'm doubtful however it settles, I think we have lost the surface cold required for it now. Could still cause a few rush hour issues though.

Don't think it will settle. We're under an intermittent light band and it's not settling where I've cleared snow from the car.

Posted
13 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I wonder whether the low that screwed me over also drew in some more marginal air around it's flank as itdeveloped. In a marginal situation it may have made a difference by keeping temperatures up. My temperature held at 0.6c until the cap dry slot finally broke down, then temps dropped quickly.

The coasts had heavy snow in place already which helped keep the temperature down when combined with fairly consistent snowfall.

Chicken and egg? If the circulation doesn’t head towards the south coast then the snow stays lighter and further south .... the low has spoiled a lot of the snow in south coastal counties but extended the cover much further north dragging far larger areas into the mix ...... today seems a mess to say the least !

each model has a different solution ! Para is nuts over E Sussex and w Kent later 

Edited by bluearmy

Posted
8 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Pure cold icy rain here in Croydon, the damp makes it feel even colder though, thoroughly unpleasant to be outside 

It feels like it’s the coldest it could be without snowing. Quite depressing 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

You never know as the back edge cold digs back in....

LOL GFS crazy snow charts suggesting this!

12-574UK.thumb.gif.ff184d27cc7168c758dd50064194ac8c.gif

15-574UK.thumb.gif.7172a9d82b16709471297ccb22e649ed.gif

18-574UK.thumb.gif.cd2b98b8b6de3eb72cbaa5b5611f00c8.gif

21-574UK.thumb.gif.4f053b020b3027e2bf28c0216d70b2b3.gif

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Jezzer said:

Yep, light rain started in Addlestone, thoroughly miserable morning 

Now a sleety, snowy mix 

Posted

I went up to Butser Hill which is the high point around here where they've closed the car park without telling anyone so it's a load of cars on a single track road with no room to park or turn around even though they must know everyone will head there to sledge. Staggering stupidity. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

Had been just drizzle for over an hour and now it's heavier there is sleet mixed in

Posted
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Chicken and egg? If the circulation doesn’t head towards the south coast then the snow stays lighter and further south .... the low has spoiled a lot of the snow in south coastal counties but extended the cover much further north dragging far larger areas into the mix ...... today seems a mess to say the least !

Oh definitely it all just shifted north, though there was a clear dry subsidence slot that formed as well to the south of the main front that has sat there for the last 18hrs.

See it was a unholy combo of two things that went wrong last night. The low forming certainly didn't help but it would have usually still allowed snow to fall, albeit marginally. However when the subsidence slot set up to it's south between say 7-11pm it killed all snowfall as the band came in from the channel. 

Once I saw that setup I knew it was game over for anything decent. Though in the end it did finally break down as the LP decayed and showers broke out.

Very interesting evolution. I may do a little research into it and make a Paul S style piece of research as it seemed to be a fairly unusual thing to have occured in the way it did, locally for me anyway!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 3