Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
3 minutes ago, leemondo said:

Met office have heavy snow forecast all morning here, updated at 4.19 this morning, needless to say nothing falling from the sky! Lol really hoping for a full on snow event at some point this winter

Preferably from the frigid East!

These attacks from the SW, weather fronts pushing into cold air are so precarious and marginal for many. 

The air just hasn't been cold enough!

Edited by snowblizzard
  • Like 3

Posted

Snow thawing already in West Wickham not that we had much! I was really disappointed with last nights snow promised do much delivered so little!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Surprised to wake up and see a couple of cms of snow here in Cambridge. Checked the radar and was surprised how the front remained fairly potent even this far north. Obviously nothing compared to other parts, but better than nothing!

Posted
16 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Euro4 midday 850/1000 thicknesses

if you’re in the greens then you will have melting of any snow 

The palest blue shoud be ok, have minimal melt and whatever falls from the sky be white. That pale blue line pulls back se as the day progresses and the decaying occlusion heads back se (Hirlam and ec are a little less kind re dp’s Which edge that arc positive a bit further nw )

0BA7ADF8-EBD1-4882-894B-2862F395D3D3.thumb.jpeg.3ab988997a3aee4cd9657a089a36862d.jpeg

Slight thaw going on even as snow falls judging by dripping noise which has probably contributed to lower overall accumulation. Still, considerably better than expected!

Posted

Good Morning,

We woke up to around 3-4 inches of snow on the car and around 38mm on the pavements.  Not too bad considering how the night started.  location was GU35.  Decided to drive to work in Sutton and as soon as getting to Guildford the snow disappeared of the trees and the depth was minimal.  Feel like we were right on the margin.

• Like 1

Posted

Having said that, I remember several really good snow events from SW during 1980's

Channel lows running East, blizzards depositing massive amounts of snow before diving off SE into Europe which re-opened the door to freezing cold Easterlies!

Those were the days  :cold:

Edited by snowblizzard
  • Like 1

Posted

Really wasn't expecting to see anything but a vague smattering so was chuffed at 10pm when flakes began and settled straight away  Took a few snapshots after midnight then a few more a short while ago as it has been snowing since it started and still is, for now.

Snow31stJan1stFeb2019i.jpg

Snow31stJan1stFeb2019ii.jpg

Snow31stJan1stFeb2019iii.jpg

Snow31stJan1stFeb2019iv.jpg

Snow31stJan1stFeb2019v.jpg

Snow31stJan1stFeb2019vi.jpg

Snow31stJan1stFeb2019vii.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

Quite a decent night here (Harrow). Would guess close to 5cm. Still snowing, albeit lightly. Temp 0.4c and dew point 0c. Reckon the London heat zone will kill a lot of the snow by evening, but should manage to keep some (I hope!)

15490055764322537292703139872634.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Well tbh i dud a lot of hope casting last night but as expected nothing. Bits and pieces but pants compared to the beast snd feb 2009 and 2010. 

Posted

met office showing rain sybols all day today but then light snow symbols for strood /rochester this eve . imagine if by some miracle that actually gave us some actual snow unlike last night , same page was showing heavy snow symbols all night and woke up to rain and no snow settled anywhere , know its unlikley but would be funny 

• Like 1

Posted

Just rain here in Southend. A spell of flakes falling early hours. Other than that a typical winters event for these parts. Glad some of you had a covering but on the whole for the region it was a bit meh?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Well went to bed about 11 and at that stage we had a very light sugar coating but with the trusty HIRLAM on side for 5-7cms by tomorrow morning I was quietly confident.woke up about 6.30 and we have maybe 0.5cm here in Locksbottom andtemp already risen to 3.2!!Good to see quite a few to West ,south west and north west have done pretty well and some lovely pics so thanks for sending those.I think though for most of Kent Essex Norfolk and Suffolk it has been a disappointing night,more so for Kent tbh as forecasts last night looked pretty good.win some you lose some!,

• Like 1

Posted

Hi all,

I have just driven from Southend to Gatwick and the most snow I saw was some slush in the car park at Gatwick airport, now in central London and crazily enough there is a wintery mix of rain sleet and wet snow falling.

Cheers

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Bracknell did well

C3231BC8-EF91-4221-AEDA-6F7D927B9D5A.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like Reading/Bracknell were on the eastern edge of the good stuff. Some reports of pretty decent falls further west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Morning, must be a low right over the se, I have rain showers coming in from the south west, further north snow, on a northeasterly.

Posted

About 3/5 cms at best 

currently drizzling though and the snow blobs stuck to fences and walls beginning to show the melt around them

EDIT: got a bit heavier and turned to light snow ....

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Snow Queen one said:

Total fail for me.  Roll on spring been a crap winter.

Same here so far ,models aren't worth a ha penny when comes to forecasting beyond 5 days ,the SSW hasn't produced the weather we hoped and last night's snow fell as rain here ,it is what it is 

Just hoping February and March has something more substantial 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Eastnorthwest said:

Same here so far ,models aren't worth a ha penny when comes to forecasting beyond 5 days ,the SSW hasn't produced the weather we hoped and last night's snow fell as rain here ,it is what it is 

Just hoping February and March has something more substantial 

same here as well although I expected it, it is Thanet after all. Even if the polar vortex positioned itself directly over us I still think we would end up with rain