Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
1 minute ago, Alpine glow said:

It’s stopped snowing in Brighton but that was fun whilst it lasted! Much heavier than I thought. It’s like a winter wonderland out there! ❄️

Check the radar lol

Posted
2 minutes ago, Drifter said:

Is it a kind of rain/snow shadow from the south downs?  I seem to remember something similar happened a few years ago.

Maybe, but I didn't have this issue with storm Emma, got a decent amount from that. I think its probably some subsidence from the frontal system to the north that developed early hours which is casting an area of subsidence to its south, suppressing any activity as it comes up.

Shower activity looking pretty damn pathetic for here, good for Chichester eastwards...again...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!
3 minutes ago, Daenerys said:

I know,I know stop looking at the apps! But it's amazed me how much this has changed throughout the last couple hours. I can't see this happening all night but stranger things have happened I guess?!

Screenshot_20190131-230021.png

I'm in Ashtead and have also been confused but I *think* the ppn out off the coast of Kent is being blown back in over us on the Easterly wind!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
1 minute ago, Drifter said:

Is it a kind of rain/snow shadow from the south downs?  I seem to remember something similar happened a few years ago.

We seem to have had a similar shadow here in Croydon, perhaps the North Downs and Weald to the south stopping the heavier stuff getting through from Kent and Sussex so far, but the flakes now seem to be getting fatter and more abundant, so still plenty of time yet to start getting a covering. Promised, foolishly, to help make a snowman with my son before he goes to school.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
1 minute ago, Chertseystreamer79 said:

Can you draw a cross on the back build please....and the direction it's moving or not moving??? Cheers!

This area moving north

56285A80-7D11-4F30-8314-EDA523527AD8.thumb.jpeg.de65c1e8e4e937db3769d1270b4145af.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

You don’t need to be nice to me to get a reply! 

the animation I just looked at shows that low not really going anywhere so perhaps icon is right? I doubt any model is right. 

I think the snow will continue to edge north and move east to west in bands with plenty of patchiness ...at some point these bands will go no further north ....so if you’re lucky, they may stall over your area and you get more snow ........on the other hand, you become Kold! 

Thank you I appreciate that. I only said that because it’s the truth, there are a lot of people on here that say lots of things, if I’m looking through posts your one of the posters I look for straight away, I know that your pretty good at what you do.

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

You were going to bed half an hour ago!!!

Yeah, its the hope that kills you. As someone said (I think Whitefox) I've invested far too much into this set-up to go to bed without seeing anything.

Oh and btw, the snows been so light from the backedge, the ground is actually wet....so even if it does snow, probably isn't going to do much unless it has a bit of umph to it...which is not happening.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
2 minutes ago, weathergeek said:

I'm in Ashtead and have also been confused but I *think* the ppn out off the coast of Kent is being blown back in over us on the Easterly wind!!

Fingers crossed! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick F said:

We seem to have had a similar shadow here in Croydon, perhaps the North Downs and Weald to the south stopping the heavier stuff getting through from Kent and Sussex so far, but the flakes now seem to be getting fatter and more abundant, so still plenty of time yet to start getting a covering. Promised, foolishly, to help make a snowman with my son before he goes to school.

There’s very little in Reigate at the moment  - there’s some light snow and a very light dusting but that’s all really. Still, I may awake to a surprise!

Posted

There seems to be a significant pepping up of the front around the Bracknell Forest area across to the woking area, coming down the M3 a bit.. Thats grown quite markedly so in the last 15 mins.  And the showers moving in to Hampshire and W Sussex look meaty too. !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
Just now, kold weather said:

Yeah, its the hope that kills you. As someone said (I think Whitefox) I've invested far too much into this set-up to go to bed without seeing anything.

Oh and btw, the snows been so light, the ground is actually wet....so even if it does snow, probably isn't going to do much unless it has a bit of umph to it...which is not happening.

I know, right!  I've sat for 3 hours watching the radar returns and seeing everything fizzle out before getting to me.  You have to laugh really!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
3 minutes ago, weathertoski said:

I've never seen such unpredictable local changes every 5 minutes on the radar. Keeps it interesting. Certainly pepping up over London right now...

Yes the radar returns seem to show things intensifying again and filling in , hopefully it continues.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Heavy snow but really struggling to settle, just 20/30m up the hill it's settling on most surfaces

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!
22 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Our cat is chasing snow flakes in the back garden right now, bless him, under the light I put on to watch the snow come down. Only me and him up now to see if anything worthy comes.

We need photos!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters
3 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

This area moving north

56285A80-7D11-4F30-8314-EDA523527AD8.thumb.jpeg.de65c1e8e4e937db3769d1270b4145af.jpeg

loads lifting off that. lets hope that it doesn't break up as it hits land!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Honestly there isn’t much heavier stuff to get there!

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Oh and btw, the snows been so light, the ground is actually wet....so even if it does snow, probably isn't going to do much unless it has a bit of umph to it...which is not happening.

Local differences are amazing. Up here it just keeps filling: Every time I look at the radar it seems a drier slot is approaching, but then more appears.

Temperature 0.1 DP -1

Pressure 981.2 falling slowly.

Will be watching for the pressure to steady which would indicate that the front is stalling. To be honest, it's falling so slowly now I think it has already slowed right down.

Three Mile Cross.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

We gain here once more..calmer situ..

And heavier snow again..its lego multiple..stacking up..an-up.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
2 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

This area moving north

What’s your take on surrey or being cheeky biggin hill

this set up has frazzled me to be honest

wasnt expecting it to travel so Far East 

before the pivot

thanks in advance

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

One *last look out the front window before sleep and there is snow in the air but not convinced any of it is actually landing, just recirculating, frustrating.

*Might just check again in a bit