Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
2 minutes ago, seb said:

Tonight will be fun across most of the region. It really feels like it does an hour so before a snow storm in the US hits... especially in in Jersey near the coast. Can't beat this feeling. It's -1 here currently and quite windy. Bitter! Very rare to get this feeling in our neck of the woods. Should be chaos for rush hour but then a rapid melt. But that's not going to take away from the enjoyment tonight

And if u look at the lastest runs... Something is not right.. Dont know what but it is...  im no grace with the charts but some thing dont add up.. U feel it more than see it.. Im  talking next week week after sort of thing

Posted
3 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

Indeed. I used to love walking around New York when a nor'easter was incoming. Wind is picking up nicely, temp 1.6 dp -2.

I used to do a lot of work in Maclean Virginia (just outside Washington DC) When it snowed there it was epic ! I have just been out for a walk around Chiswick (west london) and the air felt icy cold so perfect for snow

Posted
1 minute ago, Freeze said:

I don’t understand why the radar says it should be snowing or at least some kind precipitation but there’s nothing... is the radar wrong? 

Evaporating before it reaches the surface. Need heavier bursts of PPN to saturate the layers of air below.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Freeze said:

I don’t understand why the radar says it should be snowing or at least some kind precipitation but there’s nothing... is the radar wrong? 

It's likely the air lower down in the atmosphere is quite dry and anything that's falling from higher altitude is evaporating before it reaches the surface.  It'll show on radar but you'll have to wait a while for a more saturated lower atmosphere or heavier precip.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers
5 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

A Polite Reminder

With the upcoming event and plenty of observations taking place please put your Location in with the posts so that people using phones and tablets can see the location because the cannot see your profile or signature.

Boxley (Maidstone)

Good point. Another suggestion form many moons ago was to put your location in your signature?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!
6 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

A Polite Reminder

With the upcoming event and plenty of observations taking place please put your Location in with the posts so that people using phones and tablets can see the location because the cannot see your profile or signature.

Boxley (Maidstone)

Agreed!!! Location used to show on phones and it's such a pain that it doesn't anymore so all I see is what's happening here, here and here, lol!!! (Ashtead!)

Edited by weathergeek

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
5 minutes ago, onepingonly said:

What am I missing that the red box ppn is a amber warning but the blue box isn't? Looks bigger and heavier. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 17.47.42.png

Red already over land so should be colder and be snow, plus timing.

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

I've always wanted to experience that. I know someone who lives just a short way away from Boston. Needless to say he has seen in one winter more snow than I have seen in my life I suspect!

Though funnily enough. not been that snowy out there I've been told, very cold, but not snowy.

Anyway front now moving into Portsmouth region, should start to hear snow reports very soon!

I was lucky enough to catch one storm that dumped 27 inches. There are some pics in my profile. Hard to believe it was 13 years ago!

Posted

Good luck to everyone. Hope you all see some snow this evening and overnight. From a former South Easterner! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Interestingly the front restrengthens this run again in the morning, and looking at it would suggest possibly a streamer type thing happening helping to pep up the frontal zone?

The angle would seem to suggest that!

5-10cms here by 9am tomorrow. I'd gladly take that right now!

What do you make of late Fri into Sat morning mate. This little low seems to hang around just off the Essex/Suffolk coast all of tomorrow, before scooting off early hours Saturday. Seems to liven up and drop another few cms on lucky spots...This is going on GFSP anyway....

Posted
1 minute ago, Wivenswold said:

I'm calling rain for the Tendring Peninsula in Essex.  Unlike the Southend area, the system moves slowly over a greater expanse of mild sea (7oC at the moment). 

I think we're in a better place for a streamer tomorrow though. 

Yeah it's often the case for us in Clacton that it rains on the coast with occasional bursts of sleet but you can literally see the sky turning whiter within 2-3 miles inland... and you can walk for 20 minutes and be in snow!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
Just now, Jayces said:

Good point. Another suggestion form many moons ago was to put your location in your signature?

But on some ( Not sure if all ) tablets they dont show the signature either, so only see username and the post etc.

• Like 1

Posted

I get the "still at sea" comments but it won't be later when it's colder? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
3 minutes ago, fujita5 said:

It's likely the air lower down in the atmosphere is quite dry and anything that's falling from higher altitude is evaporating before it reaches the surface.  It'll show on radar but you'll have to wait a while for a more saturated lower atmosphere or heavier precip.

Thanks mate so just need to wait for the heavier bursts for the snow level to lower...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Not expecting much if any at all up here, looks like the precipitation won't make it as far as north Cambridgeshire. Best of luck to everyone else tonight, I will have to make do with the wet snow a couple of nights ago which didn't settle 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, onepingonly said:

I get the "still at sea" comments but it won't be later when it's colder? 

It will diminish (probably) as it makes landfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
1 minute ago, WhiteFox said:

It certainly will TOMOZ after pepping up!!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, WhiteFox said:

Ah ok thanks (damn)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Guys.. relax.

This isn't a marginal situation. Away from perhaps the extreme S coast anything falling from the sky will be 100% snow. If snow is setting on Cornwall beaches then I'm pretty sure those of us in the SE have absolutely nothing to worry about.

EDIT: No idea how the chart Bluearmy posted ended up in my post.....

0CBD977C-C212-4A8C-A167-3BAF32F91B95.jpeg

Edited by Daniel Smith
  • Like 3