Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

So hows it looking for Hastings and East Sussex as a whole?

You will be more lucky inland than I on the seafront for sure! Shall find out in an hour or so.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

GFS 12z stall out now 20 miles further south bang over North Kent & London

Probs another small correction south on 18z

4780765A-521A-4BD2-BBBF-96EDA2A0DABB.thumb.png.6fc0e2bb78750ee42f82c83b67f10e0a.pngCE0CF41D-77D8-4320-B7A4-C6FD40EB90D2.thumb.png.96cc2e359d2569d3f1c97cb598d6d053.png

Luvverly Jubberly What time is that Steve >

Edited by Biggin

Posted

Looks like the band is touching down soon in Brighton, although the strange thing is we are currently under light precipitation according to the radar, yet nothing is falling

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 1. Clear skies 2. Cold 3. Snow 4. Hot

I recall that previously, precipitation has intensified over the English Channel before it hits the South Coast,  I haven't seen that referenced here and am intrigued whether that would or would not be the case today and if not, why not?  Any advice? 

Would it require colder air passing over warm channel?

Posted
15 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

Can anyone confirm if that radar echo just north of the main band is really there? It looks very oddly shaped and a bit out of place! 

I would imagine the met office will issue an amber warning for the M23 area inc Gatwick Airport soon..

• Like 1

Posted

Long time lurker here..

Heading home shortly from Leatherhead area down to Billingshurst which im hoping will be in a good spot for the snow. I am off tommorow so hoping for a sizeable fall tonight. Just hoping i can get down there before all chaos breaks loose and all the wine sells out in Sainsburys lol

Edited by Tinkling73
  • Like 1

Posted

9-107UK.GIF?31-12

This should hopefully help proceedings this eve.

In short - Strongly negative vertical wind velocity helps promote unstable air and cloud formation, producing more ppn....in theory...

Edited by Southender
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

www.fjbhotels.co.uk/liveview

View over Poole Harbour from a hotel near Sandbanks. As it zooms in to the "mid-zoom" (you'll see what I mean) you can make out it has started snowing there at sea level.

It's coming!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms
1 minute ago, Southender said:

9-107UK.GIF?31-12

This should hopefully help proceedings this eve.

Fingers crossed mate for something at least lol

Posted

Band is still heading north at a fair clip and IMPORTANTLY the LP is still wrapping itself and moving eastwards. Every bit further east it gets is better for this region, especially those on the boundary.

About 90 minutes ahead of the models...that means we have gained 90 minutes more time where the front is at peak strength which pushes everything 90 minutes worth further north I suspect.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Blake Allen said:

www.fjbhotels.co.uk/liveview

View over Poole Harbour from a hotel near Sandbanks. As it zooms in to the "mid-zoom" (you'll see what I mean) you can make out it has started snowing there at sea level.

It's coming!

We know it’s coming ..... it’s just about how far it gets and how much is left when it arrives ! 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Still no signs of flakes or anything else here half a mile from the coast of Brighton, ominous clouds in the channel

I’m in Brighton, just deciding whether to head out this evening or not my met office app says heavy snow from 7pm

Posted

All models very keen on keeping the Essex coastline snow free. This is odd though as the air coming in to the south coast has more of a sea track than that between France and Essex. I'm hoping for a surprise covering overnight but not expecting it....

Posted
15 minutes ago, Blake Allen said:

Liam Dutton just mentioned pivoting earlier than expected so more likely to remain further south now. 

CE361C9A-0660-4598-B1F3-F2C20CFC603A.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

We know it’s coming ..... it’s just about how far it gets and how much is left when it arrives ! 

The good news is it is a fair bit ahead of where both the 00z and 06z suites had this system (I mean a solid 2-3hrs ahead) which obviously buys us more time with the frontal system before it starts to weaken.

Also that low pressure in  the channel is still trundling nicely to the east.

Down to 0.9c here, going to be pretty close to 0c once the front arrives.

Also, the 2nd band (which a lot of the models are now keying into more) looking nice and defined at the moment as well.

• Like 2

Posted

Temp finely dropped to 3c in the city

Posted
6 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Band is still heading north at a fair clip and IMPORTANTLY the LP is still wrapping itself and moving eastwards. Every bit further east it gets is better for this region, especially those on the boundary.

About 90 minutes ahead of the models...that means we have gained 90 minutes more time where the front is at peak strength which pushes everything 90 minutes worth further north I suspect.

What’s your thoughts on Liam’s point above though re it pivoting earlier ?

Posted
1 minute ago, Brightlight said:

I’m in Brighton, just deciding whether to head out this evening or not my met office app says heavy snow from 7pm

If you live in woodingdean/hollingbury or at elevation somewhere i’d be rather cautious with how far you go...I’m sure by 9pm if there’s more you than a MM of snow it’ll be CHAOS and public transport will be buggered! 

I live near the race hill and I’m in town till 9 so I’m anticipating a possible nightmare getting home

• Like 1

Posted

Anyone noticed the back edge is really getting a move on. Its already cleared the channel islands and is coming across the channel. When do we think the front will slow its movement north ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers
16 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

By who? Yamkin ?? 

And  an amber warming means ‘take action’ .... 2-5cms isn’t requiring that - surely ???

No I meant I thought the METO were quite good at doing the warnings when they think they are needed so they probably haven't done an amber warning for us yet because they don't think it's necessary?

I mean I love the enthusiasm and excitement on here and it's the same every year but I'm not sure that our area is going to get the sort of totals that are going to warrant an amber warning personally, of course I'd love to be wrong so I don't have to go in for a work meeting tomorrow