Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

It's 2C colder in Manston than it is in Southend!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

@Steve Murr I’m forecast for light rain after the snow finishes, (bbc)I can only see - few hit and miss showers, do you think we might expect rain after the snow has pushed through and what will it likely do to all the snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/storms
7 minutes ago, Southender said:

Unless you are me or anyone else on the Essex/Suffolk coast

Predicting rain I guess for us. Not buying it though. -1c dp and 1.4c temp already. So unless there is a rapid uptick with an onshore drift later, that’s boolocks !

I keep looking at all these snow maps and most have us down here in south east Essex as rain or next to no snow surely we can't be that unlucky lol

Posted

Snow has made it almost all the way across the channel. First snow for the south east looks like falling over Seaford to Eastbourne and the surrounding south downs.

Another blob of snow is developing down the M3 near Bordon. Apart from Devon, all the rain has now turned to sleet in the SW over higher ground and away from the Welsh coast wales looks amazing. 

FullSizeRender-1.thumb.jpeg.523ee3ec75706a21d9235e2ee8e480f7.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

Small upgrade on the GFSP 12Z in terms of the back edge staying as snow.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
25 minutes ago, Tom Jarvis said:

When will the met issue an Amber warning for the south east area. Looks like they are cutting it a bit late atm 

This what I don’t understand too - they are still saying 1-3cm I tweeted them half an hour ago and they just re quoted the map I posted earlier !!

Posted
1 minute ago, tallsmithy said:

Any thoughts on how Hertfordshire will fair? BBC forecast seems to show it fizzling out north of London... 

Getting better by the minute though, going by HIRLAM model.

Posted
2 minutes ago, DAVE_ALLEN said:

Snow has made it almost all the way across the channel. First snow for the south east looks like falling over Seaford to Eastbourne and the surrounding south downs.

Another blob of snow is developing down the M3 near Bordon. Apart from Devon, all the rain has now turned to sleet in the SW over higher ground and away from the Welsh coast wales looks amazing. 

FullSizeRender-1.thumb.jpeg.523ee3ec75706a21d9235e2ee8e480f7.jpeg

Can anyone confirm if that radar echo just north of the main band is really there? It looks very oddly shaped and a bit out of place! 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

This what I don’t understand too - they are still saying 1-3cm I tweeted them half an hour ago and they just re quoted the map I posted earlier !!

It's based on impact though. If there is more snow than forecast, but it falls after 9pm then impact is much lower than if it falls at 6pm. Anyway, let's hope we do see an amber warning as that would be a pleasant surprise!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

@Steve Murr I’m forecast for light rain after the snow finishes, (bbc)I can only see - few hit and miss showers, do you think we might expect rain after the snow has pushed through and what will it likely do to all the snow

Yes it would if the front moved all the way through then your in slightly milder air

so you want to be in or North of stall zone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

So hows it looking for Hastings and East Sussex as a whole?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

Sod it, I'm subscribing to the NW radar, hope I don't jinx it!

As for the alerts from METO, I've always found them to be pretty good with them in the past so if they haven't given us an amber warning yet then either they aren't expecting this to be as disruptive as suggested or they are waiting until they can be more certain of the potential amber area?

Posted
24 minutes ago, WhiteFox said:

Must be a bit of a temperature gradient. Showing 2.6 here in Three Mile Cross (just south of Reading). Think you mentioned you're about 20 miles south of Reading?

Quite a way south of that, although along the same longitude ;) 

Anyway an interesting evening coming up everyone, hunker down...its time to get...SNOWY!!!!

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

do you think they are making it up ?  That’s what their current info leads them to predict - they may react to real time events as the evening progresses but my experience is that they are rarely up to date in an evolving situation 

if it goes to plan then it’s fine - if it changes then their maps look just wrong !

how many times have you watched the maps on a breaksfast time forecast after a snowfall showing the stuff continuing for hours yet whilst you look outside at the clearance already gone through ! 

Posted

Well good luck everyone, not expecting anything up here which is a shame as it's been a real ice day here today no sign of anything wintry yet this winter aside from a few wet flakes last week.  Keeping my fingers crossed for an Easterly in Feb, enjoy it if you get it

Posted
1 minute ago, Jayces said:

Sod it, I'm subscribing to the NW radar, hope I don't jinx it!

As for the alerts from METO, I've always found them to be pretty good with them in the past so if they haven't given us an amber warning yet then either they aren't expecting this to be as disruptive as suggested or they are waiting until they can be more certain of the potential amber area?

By who? Yamkin ?? 

And  an amber warming means ‘take action’ .... 2-5cms isn’t requiring that - surely ???

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
54 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

I've opened the fridge freezer doors 

Maybe if all of us opened all of our fridge and freezer doors, and erm left them open?:blink2::crazy:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Liam Dutton just mentioned pivoting earlier than expected so more likely to remain further south now. 

• Like 2