Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted

Low just after dawn here of -6.3c

Just watching it get light over the RSPB reserve lakes at the rear of my house, actually looks cold today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Could be as close as I get to snow so thought I’d share it. Beautiful morning!

C5319DF8-95C1-46D8-9314-D8C9112627AD.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted

Definitely a very cold night/morning here though! Brrr!

Lightning lover, that is the pulse of energy that until last night was forecasted to move into our region. Now looks like it will just statly offshore. Enough error in that though that it could still have a role to play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Was a bit shocked to see its -5 here in Chelmsford , I’m sure on last nights weather on tv they said a low of -2 , well still have lying snow from Tuesday night here and where the snow has melted its white again with ice so all in all it looks like a gorgeous winters day out here , will Chelmsford get snow tonight , well only time will tell ! ????❄️

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sarah Anne said:

Will be back later when the mood improves 

You may not be back at all then today ;)

Going to be a long day...and we are all doing it for literally a dusting to maybe 2-3cms. Crazy bunch we all are.

-7.1 here as a low. Bitter!!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Mizzle said:

Will do...but I am 45 miles inland so I didn't think it would be such a factor. Hirlam shows my increased temps to 4C and dps not rising above 0C. 

I don't have the skill set to necessarily understand it all myself; my curiosity is more about the seemingly huge shift in such a short space of time at such short notice (i.e. would sea temps change rapidly enough to even catch the MO off guard?). I know local variations will always come in to play but it seems quite a wide spread. Hmmm.

I haven't looked in depth yet this morning. But, it depends on temperatures through the vertical plane of the airmass. Perhaps it shows a slightly different wind direction somewhere between the surface layer and the 850 level which creates a 'nose' of warm air coming from a more southerly direction from the sea?

Who knows!

Haven't seen any downgrade on met office app for here: it's been varying between 1 and 2 flakes from about 20z to 1z for the past 24 hours.

Temperature is -5.3 dewpoint -6 here in Reading, so coldest night of winter so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

-5c on my trip to Upminster at 6am this morning, cold enough to set my low tyre pressure warning on! Very hard frost and dense fog in places, too.

Edited by crazy_diamond
  • Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Just looked at that - was you referring to timestamps 42-48-54??

This evening Steve .....its the circulation that forms on the occlusion near the IOW -  it it pivots nw and brings heavier precip with it . The one you are referencing is an extension of the same development. Variations on the theme we’ve been seeing but one which works better for the se than last couple runs 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow winter. Hot hot summers

Bottomed out at -7.2 here in Woking !!! Impressive 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Very frosty out there and lots of ice. Not impossible that this frost will be heavier and thicker than the snowfall will be tonight, for some at least!

Haha, will certainly be the case here. Can't wait to build my frostman tomorrow morning.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
18 minutes ago, Uxbridge90 said:

Met office and BBC morning video forecasts still look alright for many of us.  Seems that 1-3 cm could be expected which would do me just fine! 

Adjust that a little..

Widely 5/10 cms.

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

This evening Steve .....its the circulation that forms on the occlusion near the IOW -  it it pivots nw and brings heavier precip with it . The one you are referencing is an extension of the same development. Variations on the theme we’ve been seeing but one which works better for the se than last couple runs 

Fair to say the ECM is on the upper end of the models today, 2-4vms would be a bad outcome, if that low did form then that could be an underestimate locally. 

It's the song of feature that is very difficult to forecast and will be a nowcaet situation.

I'm expecting 2cms here personally. Anything more will be a bonus.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Very frosty out there and lots of ice. Not impossible that this frost will be heavier and thicker than the snowfall will be tonight, for some at least!

Away from east anglia perhaps!?..

Most of the region looks in the middle web....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Fair to say the ECM is on the upper end of the models today, 2-4vms would be a bad outcome, if that low did form then that could be an underestimate locally. 

It's the song of feature that is very difficult to forecast and will be a nowcaet situation.

I'm expecting 2cms here personally. Anything more will be a bonus.

Cheer up Kold!

It could be 14c and raining!

• Like 1

Posted

Just driven to work - Left Leigh at - 4c went through various areas of freezing fog along my route and low temp was Minus 5c some stunning Hoar Frost on the trees

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold, Thunderstorms

-7°C in Leighton buzzard this morning...coldest night of the winter by far  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

-4C near Heathrow, that’s chilly for this area! Should help any snow falling to settle later. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Comfortably in 3-7cm zone shown by the BBC breakfast forecast, but expecting 3cm at best in south London, always best to lower expectations.

00z EC although eases the snow after midnight, keeps patchy snow going through Friday morning and showers through afternoon 

E9FFDE0B-D779-453B-982D-7D7B334805B6.thumb.jpeg.ee6be8b06ec2ee39b3c18acee406e893.jpegD2EBC957-E94A-4935-A6CD-5B9D53225E68.thumb.jpeg.77075df541afeb3c25bd7e081fef010b.jpeg58C177C5-DEED-47C3-864A-FFF448291FAF.thumb.jpeg.1529f0eafa6ceb74da7570a52a41abe2.jpeg5E468B1B-6FC0-4188-B30D-97F2E8A01BA8.thumb.jpeg.b7607a82a4e6910fa92680242df67a01.jpeg

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted

morning all,

Surprised to see -5 (-4.8 actually) in Westcliff this morning, the car was claiming -6, there was also a widespread frost in Central London when I got here at 7am, but the sun salt and building warmth are already getting to work dispersing it.

Fingers crossed for later (if you like snow), I am a bit torn as I have to get to, and then fly from, Gatwick tomorrow evening, it could be an interesting couple of days, or not.......  the joys of the British weather

Cheers

FC

Posted
12 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Just driven to work - Left Leigh at - 4c went through various areas of freezing fog along my route and low temp was Minus 5c some stunning Hoar Frost on the trees

I've just noticed you've seen 198 tornadoes! I've not seen 1. I need to up my storm chasing game. Bucket list for sure.

Edited by CanadianCoops
  • Like 1