Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
4 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Quite a notable dry slot on the 18z ICON this run, basically running along the M4 , literally a dusting, whilst either side it has at least 2-3cms.

Seems a little overdone but that's the 3rd run the ICON has shown this happen.

The ICON is only to be used when it has the best snow totals !

KW you should know better !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

The rusty, crusty, NMM... need a slight shift north for IMBY...

nmm_uk1-1-34-0.png

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The ICON is only to be used when it has the best snow totals !

KW you should know better !

All signing from nearly the same hymn sheet, Nick...

Icon..

icon-2-30.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
8 minutes ago, Delka said:

bloody hell  you must live in a freezer, our heating is always at 20 all winter, don't know how people survive with it lower! 

It's normally at 18. My house is well insulated and only 25 years old so holds heat quite well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
6 minutes ago, Stuie W said:

The rusty, crusty, NMM... need a slight shift north for IMBY...

nmm_uk1-1-34-0.png

Bank, bank, bank.......:yahoo::bomb: :clap:

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Steve you can tell us the truth !

When you decided to move house was one of the important factors altitude for your new home ? Or is that a silly question ! 

It was the only question !

• Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, Lauren said:

It's normally at 18. My house is well insulated and only 25 years old so holds heat quite well.

You can hold heat well as you can but 18 degs is 18 degs... We have to have a cosy 22.

Anyways, don`t want to melt anything...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)
32 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Evening All,

I hope other Members have no objection but just wanted to post up a Wintry Slideshow, for our Kentish Members. But I hope all Members will enjoy these very Wintry photos, from around Kent. These photos were taken during Wintry spells and are reproduced with the very kind permission of Ian Currie, from his excellent and informative, Kent County Weather Book.

1)image.thumb.png.fa5468c48fede9d26f168a0305784e41.png 2)  image.thumb.png.9cbde0ae34629dca3ff8f1e4d3a55994.png 

3)image.thumb.png.7be08060f01c5bc13afdbd5923069d34.png

4) image.thumb.png.51645ceff54414b6fa2f6cea03b6698c.png  5)image.thumb.png.2f809037eb618cdcc0694658a7953459.png   

6) image.thumb.png.ef3a15385aa17af7b1f4cbe2ee640e44.png 7)image.thumb.png.307515cd8e87018af8c1bbee7eece6a7.png 

image.thumb.png.00121b4cd7eb027ba568bb6260da7c6a.png 9)image.thumb.png.6519df52d34cf9ffb8c099156965accd.png

10)image.thumb.png.bb02241dd827940e426c40b62067deda.png11) image.thumb.png.0d779b33ecb4ffdf42f8ef50c80f2ab9.png

12) image.thumb.png.9ea4c8deecd5fba966a08c4d2e923731.png13) image.thumb.png.1e3f1e355b7897b77ddb9c8b2a38f5f3.png

14) image.thumb.png.fa1190c841497ca18a3c3f1afba9b15d.png 

1) I'm sure SCRAT and SNOWBOB and other Members that live in the southern part of the Borough of Bromley, will like this one. Bus stuck in the snow at Pratts Bottom, just west of Biggin Hill Airport and south of Orpington, 1952.

2) Surprise late April snowfall at Hayes Common, just south of Bromley, in the N.W. of the County, 1950.

3) A frozen River Stour, at Sandwich, Winter of 1962/63.

4) A very Lowry-esque type scene of the frozen Keston Ponds, just south of Bromley, 1st Feb, 1954.

5) Coal Barges frozen in the sea at Rochester, January 1963.

6) A Double Decker skidded off the road, on the route between Wrotham and Gravesend, 3rd March 1946.

7) The sea froze at Whitstable, February 1929.

8. A very Wintry scene from Bridgewood, between Chatham and Maidstone, March 1947.

9) An Ice Breaker in action, on the frozen River Medway, Winter of 1947.

10) One for SNOW RAVEN (Leeanne) and STEVE MURR (when he lived there). A very Wintry looking Bexleyheath, Feb.1948.

11) A very snowy scene, from the village of Hastingleigh, near Ashford, 23rd Feb.1948.

12) Car trapped in snowdrift during blizzard, in the village of Grain on the Hoo Peninsular. Jan.1979

13) One for ALEXISJ9 and all Doverites. Cars stuck on Dover Hill, 23rd Jan.1958

14) The scene on the road between Deal and Dover, after an Easterly gale delivered a blizzard with severe drifting to East Kent, 19th Feb.1969.

I hope all Kentish members and other members, enjoyed that Wintry trip around my home County. I'll try and put a similar Wintry slideshow together for all Surrey members too, in the next few days.

Apologies for the rather disjointed journey around Kent. Don't think I'd pass my knowledge and become a Cabbie in Kent!!  :nonono:

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Good evening Tom (and all)!  These photo's are fab; thank you for taking the time to post them!  Particularly like the one of Keston Ponds.  I think you'd be a great Cabbie....worth jumping in just to hear your stories .

Really hoping Biggin Hill does better tomorrow evening and Friday (desperate for a snow day).  Fingers crossed for us all.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

pmsl... I can believe that, phone reception also. Hopefully you also got a quick charger point...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Met Office now have heavy snow as far north as Colchester, and light snow up to ELY, then nothing further north.

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting tweet just now from Essex Weather, very reliable imo. 

Disruptive snow affecting large parts of southern England and Wales on Thursday, this may edge into parts of Essex tomorrow evening from 18:00 and linger into Friday. At present, the worst is likely to remain outside of our area. London/Kent sig. impacts possible.

not great from an imby perspective but good for some of you,  enjoy 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
16 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

The first thing I look for when looking for a house is the nearest lamppost. Is it near enough 

Posted

18z GFS giving a decent amount of precipitation still, mostly snow. Lets hope its actually right this time because that ICON was pretty bleak (to give an idea, no one in our area gets above 4cms most are in the 1-2cm mark!)

So lets hope the GFS suite of models has the right idea, also the UKMO wasn't too bad either this evening.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Vesuvius said:

Interesting tweet just now from Essex Weather, very reliable imo. 

Disruptive snow affecting large parts of southern England and Wales on Thursday, this may edge into parts of Essex tomorrow evening from 18:00 and linger into Friday. At present, the worst is likely to remain outside of our area. London/Kent sig. impacts possible.

not great from an imby perspective but good for some of you,  enjoy 

Although GFS 18z still taking it further north. 

30-574UK.gif

33-574UK.gif

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kold weather said:

18z GFS giving a decent amount of precipitation still, mostly snow. Lets hope its actually right this time because that ICON was pretty bleak (to give an idea, no one in our area gets above 4cms most are in the 1-2cm mark!)

So lets hope the GFS suite of models has the right idea, also the UKMO wasn't too bad either this evening.

Icon was poor yesterday - the width of the PPN forecast V the actual width was quite a way out...

• Like 2

Posted

What’s not been talked about much is the strength of the wind coupled with the snow.

Over the Downs there might be some drifting. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Steve Murr said:

Icon was poor yesterday - the width of the PPN forecast V the actual width was quite a way out...

Its really just one option out there, at this point any solution is possible at this point, on both ends of the spectrum. I'd be very sad and surprised if the ICON is correct, but I suppose you never know!

Posted

Reckon it will be a tad bit north than some of you expect, although it's probably wishful thinking

Posted
9 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

What’s not been talked about much is the strength of the wind coupled with the snow.

Over the Downs there might be some drifting. 

Is there likely to be any stalling of this LP? More to the point, slower track South... I know a bit of a tough Q but is this a possibility

Edit: Really like the GFSP take on this

Edited by Stuie W

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Thanks for those very kind words Scrat, from my favourite part of my home Borough, when it snows!!

I nearly forgot, one last photo from me tonight. 

15), image.thumb.png.a931f36044a3b78a53fbac81b18855db.png

One for the Kentish chaps. The gorgeous Kaddy-Lee Preston  No explanation needed from me.

She does appear in the Kent County Weather Book., honest. It's ok, the Wife's in bed, already!! :oldgood:

Reproduced with the VERY,VERY kind permission of Ian Currie.

Does she still present forecasts on Meridian, down in Kent?

Regards

Tom.  :hi:

image.png

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

I get a sense being right on Hastings seafront I will miss all the fun and games again tomorrow!