Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted

Caution as the 06z ECM is a slight downgrade again for South/SE sector . this really is going to the wire .Amounts look 1 -3 cms and there are patchy bits showing up

Edited by southbank
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Yesterday would make a great case study for any students of meteorology on here. It does go to show how very rare it is to get a decent snow event from the NW in the SE. Only happened a handful of times in my near 35 years of obsession with the weather. Tomorrow, however, looks a fair bit more interesting, especially for the SW’ern half of our region. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!
2 minutes ago, FlightlessWings said:

Ah, glad it paid off for you and glad I could help make sure it was not a wasted trip! 

I meant to have tagged you to say thank you FLW!!! I was in two minds whether to risk the icey roads but since you'd showed me it wouldn't be a wasted trip I decided to give it a go! Me and my daughter had a fab time, so thank you!!xx

Posted
Just now, southbank said:

Caution as the 06z ECM is a slight downgrade again for South/SE sector . this really is going to the wire 

Getting to low, just about touching S.Wales now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
11 minutes ago, Jimmyh said:

why is there such sniping going on in here. this used to be my favourite place to come and read TOM's musings Lassies hilarity and fog index and Dami chattin about their Hubs and Bubs. All gets a little fraught when the white stuiff cones down or doesnt. Look at me i was putting the bins out last nite getting covered in sleet and wet stuff. had a few runs downstairs to look out the front door but it didnt happen to wet to marginal....

please if someon hass the decency and the premise to put a chart up and has taken time to evaluate the chances dont do one liners as its not helped in here. If thou wants to act like that head over to the MAD Thread.... i hope we all get some tomorrow but it is again fraught with difficult perameters. lets all take a chill pill and look at some great pictures and hope sometime during feb we can pick up an ENE to give us all som decent streamers.

the chill campaign  

I thought a little bit of banter was ok in here?  

Posted
2 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

it is but soem of what i have seen went a bit further than banter

Posted
1 minute ago, Jimmyh said:

it is but soem of what i have seen went a bit further than banter

It’s ok I read back a bit and understand now.

I’d understand the rage if it was thunderstorms on the cards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Woke to absolutely nothing this morning but that didn’t surprise me. I went out for a run this morning, it was beautiful but only managed a mile and a half because it was just so slippery everywhere and that was even on a different route picked due to the risk on ice . It has been nice to see the sun today and I don’t mind it cold to be honest 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I've a sneaky suspicion tomorrow for me will go the way of the pear, much as it did yesterday. Only saw the wettest of snow fall at the end of a few hours rain, so I'm not going to call the seeing it snow yet! 

And I haven't seen it snow as yet!  All I have seen is some fallen snow last week, first indicated to me by what was on the back of the train I was catching out of London!

I fly out to Austria on saturday for skiing and was wondering at one stage, with snow for tuesday, thursday and saturday potentially lined up, whether there might be such accumulation that the flight might be cancelled if not delayed!  I'm not thinking along those lines now.  But ti goes to prove that in this types of situations, you can never either count your chickens nor is there a need to dispel all hope.  Que sera sera as they say.

What really galls is that it seems any chance of my seeing any falling snow in Austria  next week has disappeared, albeit there is plenty of the stuff over there.  I was skiing last year when the Best visited and although I certainly got the feel the cold, I didn't really see any falling snow then either!   So I sure hope the second half of Feb has got some surprises in store for us!

Anyway....for those who got the snow and will get the snow.  Good luck to you. Yes I'm envious but I'd rather miss out and see some get it then see no one get it at all.

Edited by Timmytour
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
12 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Banter is fine (within reason and as long as it doesn't derail things), sniping is not, obviously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, weathergeek said:

Am I the only one oblivious to the snipping/nastiness on here?! I just don't think I've noticed any? But the forum does move fast so I could've missed it!

Peace, love and snowflakes people ❤ x

You are not alone, WG; I have no idea what 'snipping/nastiness' peeps are referring to...

• Like 3

Posted

I can't remember exactly what date it was but I remember another snow event a few years back where the northen extent of front coming up from SW was under spotlight, it just made it to me in East Herts. Looks similar, albeit I think values for me tomorrow an inch at best, unless more active and prolonged.

Posted
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl

Just peeked in the MAD thread to catch up.....

lots of "things we cannot name ", I think I've figured out that one interpretation is BBC forecasts , and I think? The other is back ground signals  ? Can anyone confim?

Posted
4 minutes ago, starstream said:

Just peeked in the MAD thread to catch up.....

lots of "things we cannot name ", I think I've figured out that one interpretation is BBC forecasts , and I think? The other is back ground signals  ? Can anyone confim?

The war? ?‍♂️ 

Edit: I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Let's hope that the last day of January goes out with a Snow Bang ...and we still have one of the best Months Historically for Cold and Snow to come!!

• Like 3

Posted

Should be able to compare the models soon to what the radar shows.

Talking of radar, here is a satellite estimate of the precipitation for our low (SSW of Iceland). It doesn't seem to have done a bad job with estimating our showers (not perfect, but that resolution won't be though)

us_regen-en-330-0_2019_01_30_09_00_15810_395.thumb.png.048ec825d8ba0be1f7e9bade8ac55737.png

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Copious amounts of snow and ice days

From my untrained eye it looks like the yellow weather warning for snow will be completely pointless for Norfolk especially.

Last night was a let down too.

Bring on some proper wintry weather rather than the damp squib we've had so far!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, lassie23 said:

it is actually nice and warm in the sun, even my cat is sunbathing

I agree - I've just been for a walk in canary wharf. In the sun and with little breeze it actually feels nice and warm.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, CanadianCoops said:

I agree - I've just been for a walk in canary wharf. In the sun and with little breeze it actually feels nice and warm.

i came home to find my cat sprawled out in the sun and when i touched her she was very warm, there are flies out too

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

The difference in the sunny spots compared to the shaded spots on my snowy walk were markedly different!!

• Like 1