Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
15 minutes ago, seb said:

While I'm looking forward to tomorrow evening, I don't think it's much to get excited about. Looks like heavy snow from about 8PM onwards (after rush hour which is great) continuing through most of the night, accumulating nicely up to 10cm in favoured spots just to then be topped off by rain from early morning with temps around 2 degrees. Melting mess for a few hours and then pretty much gone. Daytime highs around 5 degrees and and staying there for the foreseeable future with a frost night Sat>Sun.

So instead of giving a fun snow day all this is likely to do is create chaos for Friday morning's rush hour.

What's not to get excited about? Granted its not ideal what may come after but still......

Edited by CanadianCoops

Posted
7 minutes ago, Chris101 said:

Don't be so down pal, honestly the North sea is a snow machine when it gets going N/NE flows are the mutts for Norfolk.

In my 45 years Norfolk and Suffolk have had numerous 20cm events.

Don't count anything out, you yourself said you expected a few cm and got 1, tomorrow could be the complete reverse.

Yes with cold easterlies which are not that common.

This area doesn’t do well out of North Westerlies, clearly. 

If you want snow in the UK you are better off living north of Manchester, where a snow fall is semi frequent and guaranteed every winter. 

Edited by Nqp15hhu

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

HIRLAM also better for EA and home counties, hopefully we have now seen the end of those southward adjustments and we have roughly what we have now (maybe a touch north possibly?)

So hopefully 10 inches by Friday morning ......... only jesting , 5 cm and winter wonderland will do me

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nqp15hhu said:

Yes with cold easterlies which are not that common.

This area doesn’t do well out of North Westerlies, clearly. 

Trust me, get a N/NE flow off the sea and Norfolk will pile showers in all day long while the rest of the country stays dry.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

GFS 06z 

-10c into SE uk by next friday ❄️

A fan of the 6z GFS now are you Steve? tentative signs of what the UKM extended outlook have been hinting at.

Edited by Weathizard

Posted
13 minutes ago, CanadianCoops said:

What's not to like about that? Granted its not ideal what may come after but still......

Just thinking generally about what people expect from snow... day off, playing in the snow, children having fun, building snowmen, snowball fights, watching the dogs play in the snow...

As I said I'm quite excited about it. If it comes off it's a lame version of a US East Coast winter storm which is followed by a rapid thaw, which his nice to see in the southern part of the UK.

Edited by seb
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Chris101 said:

Trust me, get a N/NE flow off the sea and Norfolk will pile showers in all day long while the rest of the country stays dry.

Agreed Chris, NNE is the one for us here in Suffolk but anything from N to E wind direction suits Norfolk. Speaking of which the 6z pipes up with an scandi high...

8F93CA54-A808-483C-878D-3C543ED30F2A.png

Posted
1 minute ago, Nqp15hhu said:

That doesn’t happen often. It is a slush fest most winters.

You said you only been there 4 years, you'll see, keep the faith.

@Ed Stone you can stop laughing, im trying to give this lad some hope here

Posted
1 minute ago, Chris101 said:

You said you only been there 4 years, you'll see, keep the faith.

@Ed Stone you can stop laughing, im trying to give this lad some hope here

Don’t you think 4 years is long enough to get an insight of the typical winter snowfall situation?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
10 minutes ago, Nqp15hhu said:

That doesn’t happen often. It is a slush fest most winters.

Someone's in a good mood this morning...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
4 minutes ago, Nqp15hhu said:

Don’t you think 4 years is long enough to get an insight of the typical winter snowfall situation?

We all went through a pretty much non-snow spell after being spoilt in 2010.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Chris101 said:

Yep, I remember when living in Essex we'd get the rest of the convective left over and dying convective cloud from those streams (though more common from a N) used to look very pretty on an otherwise clear day. Would sometimes get some very light snowfall (sometimes from what looks like a sunny day!) so I'd imagine its quite electric up there coming ashore.

I think unfortunately we've really not many notable northerlies in recent years, several decent easterly/battleground set-ups but not much in the way of pure deep northerlies.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

06Z not looking good for Kent, though North of London could be in for some fun Thursday night. 

I never get too excited about this kind of pattern, it never seems to do well in Kent. Hopefully as we move into Feb we get some Easterly flow and a chance of a real snowfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
26 minutes ago, seb said:

While I'm looking forward to tomorrow evening, I don't think it's much to get excited about. Looks like heavy snow from about 8PM onwards (after rush hour which is great) continuing through most of the night, accumulating nicely up to 10cm in favoured spots just to then be topped off by rain from early morning with temps around 2 degrees. Melting mess for a few hours and then pretty much gone. Daytime highs around 5 degrees and and staying there for the foreseeable future with a frost night Sat>Sun.

So instead of giving a fun snow day all this is likely to do is create chaos for Friday morning's rush hour.

F6FF3E5C-94A8-4C9E-9FA6-87E96FE19204.gif

Posted
1 minute ago, throwoff said:

06Z not looking good for Kent, though North of London could be in for some fun Thursday night. 

I never get too excited about this kind of pattern, it never seems to do well in Kent. Hopefully as we move into Feb we get some Easterly flow and a chance of a real snowfall.

Take a look in the model thread - some excitement and interest over the 7 day easterly showing up...

Edited by CanadianCoops

Posted
1 minute ago, Nimbusman said:

Agreed Chris, NNE is the one for us here in Suffolk but anything from N to E wind direction suits Norfolk. Speaking of which the 6z pipes up with an scandi high...

8F93CA54-A808-483C-878D-3C543ED30F2A.png

Awww  straight Northerly gets my goat, watching every shower cross the Suffolk border and fade, unless of course you can get a belter of a wind.

06z toying again, i do think they know somethings there, they just don't quite know what, i tend to think its more likely to see something suddenly jump out in a 120-168 period.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
58 minutes ago, Nqp15hhu said:

Any events after this one? Or should we focus on spring weather? 

Well there is some excitement in the Hunt for Cold thread with models suggesting we look to the east in early Feb. So maybe not over yet!

16 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

A fan of the 6z GFS now are you Steve? tentative signs of what the UKM extended outlook have been hinting at.

No lol *but* the earlier amplification at 120 sets up a series of dominos-

Assuming everything sharpens up 120 > 96 > 72!" then that scottish low will track due south over the UK ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
2 minutes ago, CanadianCoops said:

Take a look in the model thread - some excitement and interest over the 7 day easterly showing up...

That is where I am putting my eggs currently. While METO still saying some snowfall in this area overnight Thursday it really looks like much of nothing. The Easterly is the king for Kent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
2 minutes ago, throwoff said:

I'm pretty relaxed this time around, had enough last night to get a fix ( snow that is )..after missing out last Tuesday.

I'm going to enjoy watching how this one develops, it'll be good for future references in this kind of set-up both negative and positive.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Nqp15hhu said:

Not the last bloody 4

I will admit the last few years haven't been marvelous, my daughter saw snow for the first time in a decent amount last year, she's 6.

By the age of 6 i'd learnt how to build an igloo

Edited by Chris101