Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow all the way

We are left with frozen slushy snow on patio table, cars and patches of snow on the grass this morning. I was happy to see at 6.30 this morning Meto gave us in rainham Kent  two snow flakes over a period of 4 hours tomorrow evening but an hour later it’s down to one snowflake and sleet.... hey ho, I’m sure it will change hourly.... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Beeb has now taken away the snow icon for me tomorrow. In fact it's suggesting no more snow at all.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

There is a sharp cut off into essex - mainly due to intensity not the fact the front doesnt reach you quick enough-

ECM 42-48 00z optimal areas are sort of Kent / sussex / Surrey / Hamp / Wilts - around 5-6cm

48-54 as the system fragments & stalls ( tail over London / N kent & the front is up towards North Essex ) then there may well be less on it - so less depth 

System arriving PM tomorrow is around 30 hours away now so less & less corrections however Essex is certainly on the cusp-

ECM 48 below V 96 2 days ago just shows how far the model has corrected in 2 days with the -5c line

Thoughts on how ICON has done, it had a more southerly option at T96 and was considered perhaps at that stage an outside chance. Seems to have done quite well for past 2 events.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!
Just now, Lauren said:

Beeb has now taken away the snow icon for me tomorrow. In fact it's suggesting no more snow at all.

It's funny how the MO one symbol summary for tomorrow is just white cloud, but you look at the detail at it gives 8/10 hours of snow!

Posted
8 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

As your probably all aware I’m right on the coast   I’ve heard that it’s dropped south tomorrow is that better for me???

Yes, still marginal right at the coast but much better chance of snow than there was yesterday.

• Like 1

Posted

My close proximity to the Thames scuppered my chances last night, by the time the temps dropped inc dew points the moisture had run out. Only 5m ASL so systems from the east are better for my locale. However tomo looks a lot better chance as we are already in the cold.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

While I'm waiting for the 00z ECM run to roll out, thought I'd play about with some more Family photos!!

Hi Tom,

I'm sorry to hear about your son. I hope he's doing as well as can be expected. 

As I spend more and more time in this thread, I realise its not just about the weather. Its a real community with people who have real lives. Thanks for all your posts both weather related and personal. You're one of the reasons I keep popping back in here. (that and to talk about Steve Murrs sausage)

All the best.

EDIT: In bold

Edited by CanadianCoops
  • Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, dallas said:

My close proximity to the Thames scuppered my chances last night, by the time the temps dropped inc dew points the moisture had run out. Only 5m ASL so systems from the east are better for my locale. However tomo looks a lot better chance as we are already in the cold.

When I lived in S Essex in marginal setups it would be common to get snow but not settle. About 10 miles inland and the ground would be white with snow!

• Like 1

Posted

A slight covering of a cm on most surfaces, everything frozen solid, excellent seeing reports and pics from the region, far from a bust, on to the next.❄️⛄

Posted
11 hours ago, weathergeek said:

Thank you FLW!! Snow starting to settle here in Ashtead so have higher hopes for Boxhill!

More snow up on Box Hill than down here at 60 metres above sea level!

5C0F5D4B-62A4-42FC-BBBA-80017C6E041C.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, kold weather said:

When I lived in S Essex in marginal setups it would be common to get snow but not settle. About 10 miles inland and the ground would be white with snow!

Well lets hope we are the good side of marginal tomo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

We do have snow on hills, and cars. A bit less down here then last time though. Pavements have no snow this time.

Posted

In Norwich we awoke to snow on cars and rooftops but roads and paths appear at best slushy but mostly just wet but I fear it's going to be ice. Anyway first sticking snow of winter here.

Posted

Very slight dusting here in Ipswich too far east in these set ups despite what some models were projecting. Southern counties and Kent look great again for Thursday but not expecting anything here - geographically hamstrung again!

Hopefully there’ll be more chances left this winter but was nice to snow falling after a long long wait! 

Posted

Still evidence of a dusting here. Wrt Thursday, most models now keep the heaviest precipitation to the south and west of NW London, albeit still a few cms. At least it's more likely to now stick around a bit longer rather than melt Friday morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow/thunderstorms

Beeb forecast for the Isle of Wight looks disappointing (yet again). My thoughts are allready turning towards spring time and warmth. Been another frustrating winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!
12 minutes ago, FlightlessWings said:

More snow up on Box Hill than down here at 60 metres above sea level!

5C0F5D4B-62A4-42FC-BBBA-80017C6E041C.jpeg

Ah lovely! Thank you so much for that pic and letting me know, I might have to venture up there today!!!xx

Posted

UKMO has tomorrows system in a similar position as the ECM though the area of heavier precip stretchs further north a little, to the north of M4 before quite a quick weakening.

Surrey- where about are you mate?

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Ooo it's a winter wonderland up here.. But very dangerous 

DSC_1241.thumb.JPG.8001ee5e3b861a1c88879fccd0ff4199.JPG

DSC_1243.thumb.JPG.d49a5cd3d09722f18a212fdc8477362e.JPG

Where are you Surrey?!

Posted
59 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Morning All

3-4cm here - slight melt initially as it stayed as 0.2c till 2am.

Currently -1.7c

*** Expecting -4/-5c tonight prepping the ground etc for tomorrow ***

Snow event tomorrow evening, - higher chance of a stall out over London now !

Southern coastal areas ~9pm 

London for midnight...

How far north will the band actually get ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

kirkwood has gone for it on BBC breakfast, all snow and 2 to 5cm across the region, although i suspect 5cm will be more for high ground on Thursday, after that, possibly 10c next week☹️