Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 07/11/2018

Blessed Weather

Posted
10 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Yes, not the best probability is it. Though even Luton Airport has 30% prob of snow and it's 150m asl according to streetmap/OS. Would expect better snow probs up there so not so sure the probability on TAFs is always a good guide.  

No, its not the best. Also remember that prob 30 doesn't mean that there is a 30% probability! its a bit more binary than that. Prob 40 means that it is likely to happen, something like a 75% chance (ish) and prob 30 means it is not likely to happen, something less than 25% chance (ish). There is never a prob 50, 60 etc. Strange system isn't it and a can't imagine what sort of mind came up with it but strangely it actually works quite well.

You may have known that already in which case I am sorry for teaching my grandmother to suck eggs.

I always go with the TAFs on the day.

Edited by Always Upsidedown
spelling
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
5 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Even Brighton racecourse which is 100m asl only has one hour of snow at 10pm, think there’s no hope for us coasters! 

Yes, as a fellow coaster I feel that the 20cms the GFS parallel predicted for me on Saturday evening’s runs may be on shaky ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow all the way
5 minutes ago, throwoff said:

Definite drop in temps in Gillingham. 

Sky looking very ominous around us. 

Hi

Do you know what the temps are at the moment?  I'm at work and noticed it got suddenly dark.

Posted
7 minutes ago, throwoff said:

Definite drop in temps in Gillingham. 

Sky looking very ominous around us. 

You going to the game tonight? I'm coming from Thanet on the train and hoping for sleet - It can snow after midnight please when I'll be home and snowed in. Not OUT. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Chris101 said:

Rain has turned to snow on the moors in the SW

Yup I thought Haytor Vale region (between Bovey Tracey and Widdecombe) would be snowing at 1000ft asl...the webcam confirms it is at postbridge:

http://www.lyneside.demon.co.uk/Haytor/automatic/Current_Vantage_Pro.htm 

And generally more rain turning to snow on the latest radar. 

EDIT: Though the webcam shows postrbridge

Edited by CanadianCoops
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW
6 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Intresting euro 4 06z really slows the front down over us.. It almost doesn't move for ages.. 

We're doomed ah tell yah!! Prepare for significant disruptive snow!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
2 minutes ago, Isle of Harry said:

You going to the game tonight? I'm coming from Thanet on the train and hoping for sleet - It can snow after midnight please when I'll be home and snowed in. Not OUT. 

I shan't be, I only go away for various reasons all too boring for a weather forum!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme
2 hours ago, Nick F said:

I'm all prepared for clearing the driveway this week, here's one I did back in March

haha i knew a guy who had a heated driveway but thats ridiculous !

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
On 27/01/2019 at 22:24, chionomaniac said:

Hmm. I’m not convinced still on tuesday nights outlook. If the UKMO is correct then there could be enough snow to make a snowman, otherwise a lot of us may see rain followed by wet snow that just about sticks before the morning comes and it is all gone lunchtime. I think that a bigger surprise may come from Thursday to Saturday especially if the second low is weaker and slides south more with a negative tilt. Those hoping for snowmaggedon come Wednesday morning could be disappointed unless you live in places like Biggin hill, crowbough, Reigate hill or on top of the downs.

Was hoping this was wrong about tonight but it doesn’t seem so. Anyway heavy sleety rain here now. Hmmm

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Was hoping this was wrong about tonight but it doesn’t seem so. Anyway heavy sleety rain here now. Hmmm

seems today action may be meh , any thoughts on thursday into friday? seems more of a chance for london ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Storm That Lasts 3 Days

I knew it, that's why I didn't wanna keep my expectations high. I am sure they will remove the warnings soon!!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Heavy rain turned into freezing sleety slush here in Brighton. High up near the Downs.

earlier and heavier than expected going by the video Nick posted yesterday.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, yamkin said:

Great video going into plenty of interesting detail about today and Thursday. Today/tonight looks ok with elevation, but I’ll be surprised to see much, if any settling snow around Heathrow (hopefully I’m wrong). Thursday could be very different, if the UKMO model output is correct then milder air to the S&W won’t reach us, keeping the SE cold and snowy throughout. Fingers crossed!

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Alpine glow said:

Heavy rain turned into freezing sleety slush here in Brighton. High up near the Downs.

earlier and heavier than expected going by the video Nick posted yesterday.

As you’re inland a little and on the downs you may get a covering I would guess, how far are you from the coast?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
5 minutes ago, southbank said:

seems today action may be meh , any thoughts on thursday into friday? seems more of a chance for london ?

Ahh now Thursday still on course for a few cm of snow before it turns to rain especially the further east you are

Posted
1 hour ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Temperature should be peaking about now you’ll probably notice quite a steep fall to around 1° over the next 3 to 4 hours

(source: google weather )

Indeed, current rain showers are coming in on a southerly draw atm, that will change and the temps drop.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Im currently in Berks no rain here yet hoping it only moves east slowly for us all to benefit later. Not had a chance to look at the models how are we looking? On another note regardless of which footy team you support- Im literally chuffed as a in . My amazing bosses at work have got me "complimentary" tickets to my own private executive box at Wembley tomorrow to see Tottenham play⚽️ best drag the bow tie out A night out with the bro and dad it is win lose or draw 

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
14 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

The fact you're seeing sleety rain already is perhaps a good sign given the less cold air hasn't moved away yet

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

shoreham airport... now back up to 6C, DP up to 5C aaarrgghhh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
3 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

As you’re inland a little and on the downs you may get a covering I would guess, how far are you from the coast?

I’m up near Hollingbury golf course. Fiveways way. Sometimes we get it bad and city centre have next to nothing. 

Posted

Radar pepping up again I see as it heads towards oxford now

This could be great time for us in the southeast 

Temp will drop from now on and dew pts

• Thanks 1