Everything running along smoothly

Snow from 5 till midnight

Radar looks great and the timing

Temperature s now peaking and should slowing drop

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

Yes Kold, the High Street isn't actually that high at about 70m but the top of Reigate Hill and Colley Hill is about 230m.  Certainly can make quite a difference in marginal situations.  Leith Hill is the highest around here which, if you include the tower, takes you just over 1000ft.

I remember being surprised in Jan 13 by that, the lower levels were about 3 inches when I went through Reigate, but on the hills just outside my foot went the whole way through and some way beyond. Needless to say I was surprised by the difference!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers & Thunderstorms Cold Winters & Snow

My Met0 app just updated now showing snow til 4am (was midnight before) & that ties in with their graphics just now on live forecast which seemed to show it slowing down a bit over us? It was gone by about 1 thoughmind on those graphics...

Edited by Ben Blizzard

Posted
43 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Ive havent looked at the 06s been busy

Whats my target max for 150M -8cm?

cant see you squeezing any more than 5cm from this - and that’s optimistic ! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW
3 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

Everything running along smoothly

Snow from 5 till midnight

Radar looks great and the timing

Temperature s now peaking and should slowing drop

I really do hope you're correct

Posted

Temps under the front look to be quite low from S.Wales up to Newcastle with dp's around the 0c mark.

Reports from those areas are still of patchy snow/sleet but places are turning more white.

I see some small areas of pink on the moors in the SW so good signs the cold is undercutting, just want to hold it back a little bit longer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
7 minutes ago, snowfish1 said:

Let's stay in touch tonight 

Ok, you might hear crying from here. Where about are you?

Posted

Fairly heavy rain here. Temp has dropped from 3.6C to 2.5C 

Mother Nature just washing the place clean ready for the delights tonight ( says he hopefully)!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold, Thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, AmershamMike said:

Is this the right thread for those that live in the Chilterns? (Like me) anyone else from that area?

I live in Leighton buzzard Mike so thought this the best regional one to come on since i get Look East local news

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

We'd want the UKMO to have nailed the track of Thursdays system for the best opportunity for this region (Thurs 6pm and Midnight Friday)

417163728_Screenshot2019-01-29at13_18_14.thumb.png.41c871be82dff453eb114e5036ac0544.png753062834_Screenshot2019-01-29at13_18_40.thumb.png.f76ad926261b4ccc618abd0caff354ae.png

ECM a little further North, GFS much further North.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
3 hours ago, Freeman said:

Looks like tonight is now forecast as a mostly rain event for Peterborough and surrounding areas  Well, according to the MO app anyway...

Shocker!   Roll on Thursdays sleet to rain event... 

Posted
7 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I remember being surprised in Jan 13 by that, the lower levels were about 3 inches when I went through Reigate, but on the hills just outside my foot went the whole way through and some way beyond. Needless to say I was surprised by the difference!

I think it was 2013 when Surbiton had nothing of note during one of the snowfall events so we took the dog to Reigate Hill and got a very nice seasonal walk in the snow; beautiful views across the countryside too. The hardy Reigate Hill cows seemed unperturbed. I am teaching in Uxbridge until 7pm tonight but suspect I will have little to disrupt my journey home down the M25 other than rain with a bit of sleet mixed in, even though the University has posted a weather warning advising staff and students to make sure lectures will be running. 

Posted
Just now, Daniel Smith said:

We'd want the UKMO to have nailed the track of Thursdays system for the best opportunity for this region (Thurs 6pm and Midnight Friday)

417163728_Screenshot2019-01-29at13_18_14.thumb.png.41c871be82dff453eb114e5036ac0544.png753062834_Screenshot2019-01-29at13_18_40.thumb.png.f76ad926261b4ccc618abd0caff354ae.png

Yep, though the 06z ECM did still put a fairly good dumping down into the south. 3hrs totals for most of the Se away from the direct coast (as can be seen nicely on that UKMO chart actually) between 4-7pm roughly are 5-8cms, though those 3hr totals do reduce a little as you get further north into the region down to something like 3-4cms generally per 3hr period.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
14 minutes ago, AmershamMike said:

Is this the right thread for those that live in the Chilterns? (Like me) anyone else from that area?

It is the right place Mike, so post away! I live in Farnham Common, so not too far from Amersham.

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

none of them can really tell where its going until the day !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

SSW wind starting to pick up, clouding over and 5.4C...So why am I still looking for snowflakes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer sunshine
17 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

Light rain in Reigate has just started.

Rain with a little sleet in it over in Merstham. Are we a little higher up than Reigate? 

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

TAFs for Gatwick and Heathrow mentioning snow after 19z, temporary heavy snow showers between 20-23z

Gatwick

EGKK 291058Z 2912/3018 13005KT 9999 SCT040 TEMPO 2912/2919 4000 SHRA BKN008 BECMG 2918/2921 31012KT TEMPO 2919/2924 2000 SHRASN BKN006 PROB30 TEMPO 2920/2923 0500 +SHSN BKN004 PROB30 3015/3018 VRB03KT

Heathrow

EGLL 291058Z 2912/3018 16005KT 9999 SCT030 PROB30 TEMPO 2914/2919 8000 SHRA BKN008 TEMPO 2919/2923 2000 SHRASN BKN006 PROB30 TEMPO 2920/2923 0500 +SHSN BKN004 BECMG 2921/2924 30010KT

• Like 3

Posted

Also about the 06z ECM, accumulating snowfall (this takes into account possible melting as snow settles, etc) is showing broadly 2-3 inches in the region, though a few do jackpot upto 4-5 inches. This is a little higher than the yellow warning but then again the ECM is a touch more active on its 06z than it was on the 00z which may explain the difference.

Pretty rapid melt shown on Friday as well, would be quite patchy covering by the end of the day.