Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Cant wait for brexit,then we wont have to give europe our snow

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Guys

I want to get in early and try to stop the doom and gloom posts that are going to happen around 4-7pm tomorrow in this Regional Thread. Why are these posts going to happen I hear you say ?? Well simple, it will RAIN first before the precip turns to snow. You might see, WHAT A BUST, You might see, WHAT A PATHETIC COLD SPELL, You might see, WE ONLY GET SNOW FROM EASTERLIES

Please Please Please watch the Video Dan has posted up, and please watch all nearly 7 minutes of it, you might learn something, you might already know what he is describing, but more importantly it lays out what is expected to happen and why some places have people swinging from the Chandeleers with Heavy snow whilst others have a wintry mix

Thanks to Dan (Staplehurst) for putting this Video together

Very informative but hardly exciting regarding snow prospects. Nothing particularly significant unless we get lucky on Thursday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 minutes ago, snowrye said:

Cant wait for brexit,then we wont have to give europe our snow

Works both ways, they won’t give us their easterlies

Posted
1 hour ago, Paul Sherman said:

Ah the same question we have had for the past 15 years.

We tried a 3 counties and a Norfplk/Suffolk Group before but then those regionals went dead and everyone went back in with the SE & East Anglia around 9 years ago so there you have it. If you want to frequent the East Midlands, Lincs threads then by all means be my guest

I think where to stick Essex was the problem.  But that’s far wider than weather, I guess.

in fairness I didn’t know what thread to choose, I mean our neck of the woods is much closer to Kent than Norfolk.

So, anyway, Crown Hill on Thursday, I’ll beat ya ?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

But hopefully it shows people just how hard it is to predict wether its going to be Snow/Rain/Sleet/Pellets etc on an Atlantic Front. The good thing it shows is the Milder air around late afternoon which should hopefully stop all the crying posts saying "But its 5c It;s never gunna snow" And also shows the Colder Uppers undercutting into the front turning the rain to snow.

I just wanted to hilghlight the fact to people on how things could/should play out

I never said it was exciting.

I thought it was a brilliant post and a very informative video.  Certainly cleared up a few questions for me 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Can't wait until spring so that the daft bickering is over.

No one season brings out the morons like winter. There are no cold v hot, or wet v dry arguments in the summer, yet this time of year brings all the nutters out of the woodwork.

True, the days have probably gone of deep snow drifts I had back in the 80's & 90's. Winters aren't what they used to be, and probably never will be again, but it's been chuffin freezing last week, and this, we've had some snow last week, and are due some more tomorrow, Thursday, and maybe Friday and Saturday.

And it's not even February yet, where we statistically get our coldest weather. 

This weeks snow has came along very quickly, from nowhere, so how anyone can assume what will happen in 7 days time, let alone what will happen in a months time, is beyond me.

I come on these boards to learn about the weather, but I spend most of the time sorting out the wheat from the chaff.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

18z Pub run is already upgrading tomorrow...Yes I know, I know...But it has been drinking Carlsberg...

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Vesuvius said:

I think where to stick Essex was the problem.  But that’s far wider than weather, I guess.

in fairness I didn’t know what thread to choose, I mean our neck of the woods is much closer to Kent than Norfolk.

So, anyway, Crown Hill on Thursday, I’ll beat ya ?

Haha Crown Hill around 9pm on Thursday could be an evacuation route downhill only, certainly the 5 bus routes wont attempt to get up it if the ICON is correct for Thursday.

Yh I seem to remember the North part of Essex wanted to be with the East Anglians and the Southern Parts of Essex wanted to be with London and the Home Counties, then we had the problem of where Cambs, Beds and Bucks was put.

Cant please everyone

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Guys

I want to get in early and try to stop the doom and gloom posts that are going to happen around 4-7pm tomorrow in this Regional Thread. Why are these posts going to happen I hear you say ?? Well simple, it will RAIN first before the precip turns to snow. You might see, WHAT A BUST, You might see, WHAT A PATHETIC COLD SPELL, You might see, WE ONLY GET SNOW FROM EASTERLIES

Please Please Please watch the Video Dan has posted up, and please watch all nearly 7 minutes of it, you might learn something, you might already know what he is describing, but more importantly it lays out what is expected to happen and why some places have people swinging from the Chandeleers with Heavy snow whilst others have a wintry mix

Thanks to Dan (Staplehurst) for putting this Video together

Thanks for posting that. I found it very useful. A great explanation of the situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Bogman said:

No one season brings out the morons like winter. There are no cold v hot, or wet v dry arguments in the summer, yet this time of year brings all the nutters out of the woodwork.

True - but haven’t you seen the wrath that ensues when a MCS comes up from France in the summer only to veer off to the east at the last minute, giving a classic Kent clipper?

Currently -0.8c DP -4.8c and clear...lots of stars tonight 

• Like 3

Posted

GFS 18z has the precip coming later in the day and staying longer. An all round upgrade but only one model.

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 21.53.23.png

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

True - but haven’t you seen the wrath that ensues when a MCS comes up from France in the summer only to veer off to the east at the last minute, giving a classic Kent clipper?

Currently -0.8c DP -4.8c and clear...lots of stars tonight 

Ha ha, true. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Haha Crown Hill around 9pm on Thursday could be an evacuation route downhill only, certainly the 5 bus routes wont attempt to get up it if the ICON is correct for Thursday.

Yh I seem to remember the North part of Essex wanted to be with the East Anglians and the Southern Parts of Essex wanted to be with London and the Home Counties, then we had the problem of where Cambs, Beds and Bucks was put.

Cant please everyone

Yeh, things can be so localised. Even in our area.  I’ve seen it both ways.  Snow clipping Southend, Leigh, but ignoring Rayleigh to the north and vice versa. Let’s hope we all see something soon, good to speak again Paul, best, David 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

So tomorrow, the fun starts and sets the theme for the rest of the week. Thursday/ Friday look tasty for heavier snowfall and lets see where our winter train keeps going. Admit ! "yes" not been a fruitful Winter so far and what a roller coaster with prozac for many getting of the ride....but ! its not over by along shot and just getting interesting.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme
16 minutes ago, Bogman said:

True, the days have probably gone of deep snow drifts I had back in the 80's & 90's. Winters aren't what they used to be, and probably never will be again, but it's been chuffin freezing last week, and this, we've had some snow last week, and are due some more tomorrow, Thursday, and maybe Friday and Saturday.

And it's not even February yet, where we statistically get our coldest weather. 

This weeks snow has came along very quickly, from nowhere, so how anyone can assume what will happen in 7 days time, let alone what will happen in a months time, is beyond me.

I come on these boards to learn about the weather, but I spend most of the time sorting out the wheat from the chaff.

i hear that and endorse you. Problem is that forums allow trolling, bad behaviour never gets penalised apart from deleting something. There will always be chaff,  therfore, its a free for all and thats how it is, lot more amatuers than profesional forecasters on here (hazarding a guess ), me included in the former. But i do fluid mechaics for a living and that involves mathmatical models.... shame i stil dont understand the weather. Havent got time. if i did,  I'd read some decent books . Im interested in LRF as it affects my work. But im not getting far...

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Works both ways, they won’t give us their easterlies

Putin will be kind

Posted
2 hours ago, Uxbridge90 said:

Perhaps I need to brush up on my chart reading skills because I still think tomorrow evening looks alright but the general consensus says otherwise. 

From reading the last 10 pages, It depends on what your expectations are, and your location.

I will be satisfied if we get a couple of hours of snow and a dusting- like we did last week.

Ah who am I kidding! I want 60 cms of snow, everytime, but i doubt we would get that even with the perfect easterly setup, so i must adjust my expectations accordingly!

1-3 cm tomorrow night into Wednesday will do nicely!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters
2 minutes ago, snowrye said:

Putin will be kind

i think that his lot are patrolling this site...! i had a post removed from the hunt for cold thread for daring to say that the thread was becoming an embarrassment to the forum....

Posted
1 minute ago, Bricriu said:

From reading the last 10 pages, It depends on what your expectations are, and your location.

I will be satisfied if we get a couple of hours of snow and a dusting- like we did last week.

Ah who am I kidding! I want 60 cms of snow, everytime, but i doubt we would get that even with the perfect easterly setup, so i must adjust my expectations accordingly!

1-3 cm tomorrow night into Wednesday will do nicely!

for starters I agree 

thursday a big top up would be nice

Posted
Just now, username home said:

i think that his lot are patrolling this site...! i had a post removed from the hunt for cold thread for daring to say that the thread was becoming an embarrassment to the forum....

You didn't say mild did you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: weather, especially snow, and a lovely frost

well im off to bed, weather warnings for snow and ice are still in place, so fingers crossed, think my snow will be arriving when im fast asleep, um tomorrow night, i mean, but hey might get a surprise, might not, im quite confident i will get a at least , blimey dont take much to keep me happy , so continue with this roller coaster ride tomorrow, night all.

Edited by jos787
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme
8 minutes ago, username home said:

see if this gets deleted too. haha. 

Such a wide range of opinions for 24 hrs away... the cynic in me (believe it or not there is one   )  wouldn't  dare to say no one flippin knows about 25 hours plus away.... so relax and try to live life in peace

Edited by fluid dynamic
wrote I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad and and the autocorrect called me sad
  • Like 1

Posted

First chance to compare the model with the radar. Looks accurate so far.

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 22.23.02.png